• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Discovery Channel special: Anatomy of a Warship: HMCS Winnipeg

NJL

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.exn.ca/onTv/episode.asp?episode=43807947&TZ=0

Hour long special.. very interesting to watch... showed the ship going through different training exercises (man overboard/ missile defense tactics/ boarding party).. talked alot about the navy and life on the ship, ships capabilities, etc.. I might even watch the rerun, it was that good.

Agreed, this was first aired a few years back and is rerun every few months or so.

I saw it yesterday...

My only question, as I have never actually served on ship, is; was it accurate?

there I fixed the subject header... it was new to me though lol... looked fairly recent compared to other military specials I've seen on TV.

Aren't we happy they didn't do this made for TV special on HMCS Saskatoon

I woulda thought it would be an "education" unto itself.
Certainly an educational video on everything that can go wrong.... and did!
Just think of the cheezy video clip they show when teaching MIL LAW... 

already a thread on the Saskatoon thing folks.....

milnet.ca staff

don't get me wrong it's right on the money technicaly speaking, but lets face it doesn't get into life on a long deploymeny and I never did walk down a bulkhead in a 30 Degree turn outside the main cave, but somebody did in the production.

I have several times during action stations when the ships I have been conducting TCMs, ASMD, during a man overboard. Just to name a few instances....

I'll admit I've come close, and walked at some funny angles, but never on the bulkhead, theres too much crap mounted to it to make any progress.

ArtyNewbie said:
I'll admit I've come close, and walked at some funny angles, but never on the bulkhead, theres too much crap mounted to it to make any progress.

Then all and all its not really hyped then is it? With your post you made it look seem that they only did it for the show whereas it does happen out of necessity...

This is true, but the show did only show the positives, and none of the negatives. Take that same documentary crew onboard say around day 17 of a 22 day patrol and see how willing the ships coy is to participate in the producition. Don't get me wrong things like this are good for both the Navy and the Forces in general but by omitting the less than perfect day to day life onboard is misleading. They don't show things like twice daily cleaning stations (essential activity in my mind) or working a long mids and staying up for the forenoon storing from a barge then standing the afternoon watch followed by cleaning stations then rounds, then some sleep for a few hours before the long mids again. Doesn't happen often but man when it does its a real bag drive, and at the end of a patrol before going alongside makes for some bloody short tempers.

Come on now.....how many shows out there that are used to lure people into a certain field glamourize the negative aspects? I can't think of any....the ones that do just show the negative things and none of the positive things....most sailors will force a positive attitude as well because they know this will be aired back home and not many of them wish to show their loved ones if they are miserable or not. From my experience those that are truly miserable will avoid the film crews anyways.

Ex-Dragoon said:
From my experience those that are truly miserable will avoid the film crews anyways.

Or they won't have a choice with their avoidance one way or the other, and they will be hidden away lest they say or do something inappropriate.  We all know a few like that!

airmich said:
Or they won't have a choice with their avoidance one way or the other, and they will be hidden away lest they say or do something inappropriate.  We all know a few like that!

too true!

Hello everyone, I can tell you personally i was on the ship at the time of that documentry i was even part of it (namely the VICTUALLER). It was alot of fun to do and be part of. It was a well done documentry although they did get in the way a few times when we were trying to do door and hatch procedure it got prety heated when the nozzle man had to push them away so he could crack the door to the small arms locker. All in all, as any sailor knows, it was a very accurate representation of life, albeit small, at sea.

Leading Seaman Mike Hart
HMCS Winnipeg
2002-2004

Back