• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dress Uniforms

armygf

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the service dress (jacket, dress shirt and pants) of the mid 1980's and now.  i am trying to put something for a friend of mine that was in the army before and wonder if an older issue jacket will cut it.  thanks!

armygf said:
can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the service dress (jacket, dress shirt and pants) of the mid 1980's and now.   i am trying to put something for a friend of mine that was in the army before and wonder if an older issue jacket will cut it.   thanks!

The new DEU was introduced in the mid 1980s; the previous pattern was the CF uniform jacket, same colour, different material, and lacking shoulder straps (the most obvious sign).  CF jacket also had shoulder pads if I remember correctly.  Some units transitioned to the new DEU at different times; I seem to recall on joining in 1987 the DEU in my reserve unit was fairly new.  Cadets continued to wear the older pattern (with kilts, at least in our affiliate corps here).

so if i got a uniform from like 1984 on that would be the same as what they are now?

armygf said:
so if i got a uniform from like 1984 on that would be the same as what they are now?
A little bit later.  IIRC, the new DEUs started to get issued in 1987.

I agree with Horse_Soldier, but a photograph would mean all the difference.

If there are no shoulder straps, it is definitely the older "CF" Uniform and not what is worn today.

the one i have is dated 1985, it has the shoulder straps.  i know it fits the pattern of the new one i am just converned about the colour.

armygf said:
the one i have is dated 1985, it has the shoulder straps.   i know it fits the pattern of the new one i am just converned about the colour.

The colour hasn't changed in 30 years.  If it is a single breasted very,very dark green, I would say you've got the right thing, based on your descriptions of it.

thanks guys!  my only real concern was that the insignia didn't match the jacket however i guess that is because the insignia has a black backing on it right?

Pre DEU - Mistaken for Bus Driver, Porter etc...
Present Naval Deu - Mistaken for Commisionaire

Back