• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drop off of parcels for military personel who are serving overseas

Lindy

Inactive
Reaction score
I am trying to gain information about drop off points in Oshawa for parcels addressed to military personnel who are serving in Afghanistan.  My brother is presently doing his second tour in Afghanistan.  I was contacted by my mother about being able to drop off parcels at certain locations such as military unit HQ and bases.  I know of one in Oshawa on Simcoe St North, but I am not sure if I am able to drop off the parcel to them. Is there a way I can get information on this particular issue.  Thank you.

Lindy

Hi Lindy,
Just google MFRC or Military Family Resource Centre for your area to find the nearest one. You can drop parcels off there and they will be shipped to Belleville, Ontario, and from there on to Afghanistan. It's all free, however there are size and weight restrictions on the parcels, so you may want to phone the MFRC beforehand to find out what the specifications are. The first time I brought a package there, it was too large and I had to repack it.

Canada Post may reprise their offer of sending packages for free (and you can send slightly larger ones via CP) at Christmastime, but I haven't heard yet if they will.

I don't have the Ontario address anymore, but I'm sure someone here does.

I found a web resource with the address(es). Hope it is helpful. :)

OP ATHENA - Kandahar, Afghanistan
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
OP ATHENA
PO BOX 5058 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6 

OP ATHENA - Kandahar, Afghanistan
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
Provincial Reconstruction Team
OP ATHENA
PO BOX 5005 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6

OP ARCHER and ARGUS– Kabul, Afghanistan
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
KABUL 100
PO BOX 5058 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6 

Camp Mirage:
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
Camp Mirage
PO BOX 5113 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6 

OP BRONZE - Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
CANADIAN CONTINGENT SARAJEVO
PO BOX 5207 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6

OP CALUMET - Sinai
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
CCMFO
PO BOX 5237 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON  K8N 5W6 

OP PROTEUS
RANK INIT NAME
UNIT/SECTION 
OP PROTEUS
PO BOX 5240 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON  K8N 5W6

OP JADE
RANK INIT NAME
UNIT/SECTION 
OP JADE
PO BOX 5239 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON  K8N 5W6

CFS Alert
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
CFS Alert
PO BOX 5210 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6 

Sierra Leone
NAME RANK INIT
UNIT
OP SCULPTURE
PO BOX 5201 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON  K8N 5W6

OP CROCODILE
Authorized senders only.  All other mail will be returned to sender.

Personal mail:
FIRST NAME/LAST NAME
PO BOX 500 (KNSHA)
STATION A
OTTAWA ON K1N 8T7
CANADA 

Official Mail:
RANK NAME INITIALS OR TITLE
OP CROCODILE
CANADIAN EMBASSY KNSHA
C/O DFAIT
125 SUSSEX DRIVE
OTTAWA ON K1A 0G2

OP GLADIUS
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
OP GLADIUS
PO BOX 5238 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON  K8N 5W6 

OP SATURN - SAFARI - Sudan
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
OP SATURN - SAFARI
PO BOX 5225 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6 

OP HAMLET – Port-au-Prince, Haïti
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
UNIT/SECTION
OP HAMLET
PO BOX 5250 STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE ON K8N 5W6

Canadian Ships
RANK/INITIALS/NAME
MESS #/SECTION
NAME OF THE SHIP
PO BOX 17000 STN FORCES
VICTORIA BC  V9A 7N2 

RANK/INITIALS/NAME
MESS #/SECTION
NAME OF THE SHIP
PO BOX 99000 STN FORCES
HALIFAX NS  B3K 5X5

I was on the phone with Canada Post the other day. The free shipping to troops overseas starts October 20th this year. You may want to call ahead to your local post office to make sure they are aware of this. The girl at the local Shopper's Drug mart outlet was completely clueless as to what I was talking about.

Take them to the local armouries and give them in at the Orderly Room. They'll take care of it from there. They'll send it out, year round, for free.

Here is the rules from the DSC here in Petawawa:

Overseas Mail

To facilitate the sending of mail and parcels to deployed CF members, please consult the guidelines and standards that apply to postal services and the mission addresses.In addition, for your convenience, parcels and mail addressed to deployed CF members may be brought to any DSC or MFRC office.

Packaging

All packages must be securely packaged to avoid damage
Canadian Forces Morale Mail is not insurable or traceable
Liquid substance must be placed in a leak proof container - this container must then be placed in a strong outer container made of wood, metal or heavy cardboard with absorbent material between the two to avoid potential damage to other items
A list of contents is required
Prohibited Items

Some items are prohibited , and parcels will be returned to the sender if they contain the following items: (You can request more information from the DSC if you are uncertain as to the contents.)

Obscene or immoral items
Compressed gas (aerosol, lighter, etc.)
Corrosive solids or liquids (bleach, acids, ammonia, etc.)
Flammable solids or liquids (lighter fuel, matches, etc.)
Explosives
Alcoholic beverages
Tobacco
Drugs and narcotics (including prescription medication)
Perishable items (fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.)
Liquids (unless they are wrapped according to Canada Post requirements)
Battery-operated items and batteries
Oxidants (hair dye, adhesives, etc
Parcel Dimensions & Weight

The following are specific guidelines for this service. Over-size and over-weight parcels will not be accepted.

Measurement Metric Imperial
Maximum Weight: 20 Kilograms  44.1 Pounds 
Maximum Length: 100 Centimetres  39.37 Inches 
Maximum Width: 100 Centimetres  39.37 Inches 
Maximum Height:  100 Centimetres  39.37 Inches 
Dimensions: 100 cm x 100 cm x 100 cm (L x W x H)  39.37" x 39.37" x 39.37" (L x W x H) 

List of Contents

All parcels are subject to inspection by the host country Customs Officials. Therefore, a detailed list of contents need to be written on the bottom-left corner of all parcels.

Addressing Reference

Write the address on the front and back of the parcel
Write the CF member’s service number, rank and name, and the deployment unit (Click here for current operations)
Write the contents on the parcel
Limit of one parcel per week
Sign the parcel and write your telephone number on it
Mail and parcels should be addressed in the following format:

Not all armouries are accommodating unless they have soldiers who are currently deployed.  The Oshawa reserve unit's website is:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/ONTARIO_REGT/

Take your package to the Armoury on Simcoe St. N. - (it's at Simcoe and Richmond, if you haven't actually seen it), when you go into the building the orderly room is to the left from the main door once you get to the parade square.  They should take it from you and get it sent off.

If not, send me a message through here, I live in Oshawa but could bring it up to my unit in Peterborough to be dispatched, we do it all the time.

Lindy said:
I am trying to gain information about drop off points in Oshawa for parcels addressed to military personnel who are serving in Afghanistan.  My brother is presently doing his second tour in Afghanistan.  I was contacted by my mother about being able to drop off parcels at certain locations such as military unit HQ and bases.  I know of one in Oshawa on Simcoe St North, but I am not sure if I am able to drop off the parcel to them. Is there a way I can get information on this particular issue.  Thank you.

Lindy

Here is a good place to start

DND Mail for deployed persons (Public site)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/Messageboard/guidelines_e.asp

Canada Post Site for Armed Forces Mail

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgcanforce-e.asp

I have a question: How do I send a package from outside Canada to a CF Member?

Thanks for any assistance.

Emmiee

Send it to the appropriate address out of those listed above.

emmiee said:
I have a question: How do I send a package from outside Canada to a CF Member?

Thanks for any assistance.

Emmiee

It's official - Canada Post is letting packages go for free from 20 Oct 08 to 16 Jan 09.

Canada Post Will Continue Program of Free Delivery to Deployed Troops
Canada Post news release, 20 Oct 08
News release link

OTTAWA, ONTARIO, Oct 20, 2008 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX) -- Canada Post announced today it will continue providing free delivery of letters and parcels from family and friends to Canadian troops deployed in Afghanistan and elsewhere overseas.

Free parcel service for family and friends of deployed Canadian troops will be provided from October 20, 2008 to January 16, 2009. Last year Canada Post forwarded 11,000 parcels to our Canadian troops serving in Afghanistan and elsewhere overseas. Family and friends of deployed troops will also be able to continue sending lettermail free throughout 2009. At the end of this period, Canada Post and the Department of National Defence will jointly evaluate the program.

"Mail from home is extremely important to the men and women serving overseas in these trying times and we are pleased to continue supporting our troops and their families," said Moya Greene, president and Chief Executive Officer of Canada Post.

"As Minister responsible for Canada Post, I continue to support this initiative. I know how much our troops look forward to the messages they receive from their family and friends," said Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities.

With capacity limitations on military aircraft carrying supplies and munitions to deployed forces, this offer is restricted to family and friends of the deployed service men and women serving overseas in war zones. That includes members of the Canadian Forces serving in Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sinai and Jerusalem. Troops serving on any of the deployed Her Majesty's Canadian Ships are also included in the offer.

"I congratulate Canada Post for continuing to offer free mail service to family members and friends of troops deployed in combat zones," said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. "Our Government strongly supports our men and women in uniform, and we welcome this very positive initiative to help our troops overseas remain connected with their loved ones in Canada."

To ensure the proper customs declaration form and addressing information, the letters and parcels will need to be deposited at one of Canada Post's more than 6,600 full service retail outlets across the country (letters and packages dropped in regular street letter boxes will not qualify). They will then be forwarded to Canadian Forces Bases in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Victoria, British Columbia and Belleville, Ontario. Once delivered to the military bases, the Department of National Defence will take charge of the letters and parcels and ensure their delivery overseas. All mail must be addressed to a specific soldier, including rank and mission information.

Contacts:
Canada Post
Media Relations
613-734-8888
www.canadapost.ca

I received a PM this morning and it looks like the answer from above posts is yes but could someone confirm this question for me?

We have a nephew overseas, can we send a parcel via Brockville, Ontario facility?
Regards;
XXXXXX XXXXX

CANFORGEN 190/08 CANOSCOM 016 08 151252Z OCT 08
CANADA POST - FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE 20 OCT 08-16 JAN 09
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: CANFORGEN 157/07 CANOSCOM 029 181133Z OCT 07

CANADA POST WILL AGAIN BE PROVIDING FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF DEPLOYED CF MEMBERS FROM 20 OCT 08 TO 16 JAN 09. PARCELS WILL BE DELIVERED FREE OF CHARGE FROM ANY CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET TO DESIGNATED CF BASES, WHERE THEY WILL BE FORWARDED THROUGH THE CF POSTAL SYSTEM TO CF MEMBERS OVERSEAS

ADDITIONALLY, CANADA POST WILL ALSO CONTINUE PROVIDING FREE DELIVERY OF LETTERS TO DEPLOYED TROOPS THROUGH 2009. AT THE END OF THAT PERIOD, CANADA POST AND THE DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENSE WILL JOINTLY EVALUATE THE PROGRAM

DUE TO CARGO LIMITATIONS ON MILITARY FLIGHTS, THIS OFFER IS RESTRICTED TO THOSE OPERATIONS SERVED BY THE BELLEVILLE ONTARIO K8N 5W6 ADDRESS AND TO ANY DEPLOYED CDN SHIP

ADDITIONAL MAILING GUIDELINES ARE AVAILABLE AT THE WRITE TO THE TROOPS LINK FOUND AT WWW.FORCES.GC.CA

TO ENSURE THE PROPER CUSTOMS DECLARATION FORMS AND CORRECT ADDRESSING INFO, ALL LETTERS AND PARCELS MUST BE DEPOSITED AT A CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET. MAIL DEPOSITED IN STREET LETTER BOXES WILL NOT BE DELIVERED

I am really glad that Canada Post is doing this again. 
I found it faster to send the parcels through them rather than leaving it at the MFRC.  And it is great that others that aren't close to an MFRC can take advantage of it. 
Although, sometimes, I did have to correct some CP employees when they said I had to pay for postage.  It doesn't always get passed along to all their employees.

Back