• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eating Right, On a Budget

Roy Harding said:
The crockpot idea is great.  We used to (and probably will again come winter) get a crockpot meal all prepared the night before, throw it in the fridge overnight, then turn on the crockpot before leaving for the day

+1 Roy!

With my schedule also, this is something I have done several times. I have found it to be a godsend quite often, with being on the go. Plus you'll have leftovers that you can store in tupperware containers, and stick in the freezer for a few extra meals.

DD, I do have several crockpot recipe's and when I get a little time.. I'll go through them and pick my fave's and add to the recipe thread on the forum out here. Hope that will help.

~Rebecca

will always be an issue of - Barracks.  Facilities are, at the very best, spartan
Little or no refrigerator space and, excluding the old microwave, not much else.
Then it will also be an issue of the barrack warden complaining about the food smells, etc...

When I was an E4 in 1974 $75 is all I got for seperate rations in a month.When I retired it was up to around $180. ;D

Then it will also be an issue of the barrack warden complaining about the food smells, etc...

As opposed to the stinky hockey gear, boots, shoes, etc and people showering on cologne.  I'm sure, provided you're not always cooking fish, the only complaints you will hear will be, "Man!  Stop cooking!  You're making me hungry -- and I just ate!"

If the barrack warden does fuss about the food smell, then bring up the sweaty gear and cologne argument.  After all, we're supposed to be promoting a scent-free living/working area.  ::)

geo said:
will always be an issue of - Barracks.  Facilities are, at the very best, spartan
Little or no refrigerator space and, excluding the old microwave, not much else.

That depends I know that in Gagetown there are 2 shacks (D-23 and D-27) which provide you with the proper cooking environment but again the fridge space is at a prenium.

Get yourdelf a little beer fridge that you can throw in a corner (or use as a night stand!) and only buy what you need for a couple of days.

For my "brown bag" I buy President's Choice Blue Menu Instant "soup."  They're not all soup - hence the quotes, but you find them at the store (Loblaws, or whatever version of that chain is near you) with the instant soups.  The one I have in front of me today is Vegetarian Chili.  Comes in a cup, add hot water.  Doesn't really work in the microwave - boils over and makes a huge mess.  But if you nuke the water, then add it, that works.  Some of the others are Minestrone Soup, Couscous, Lentils, Spicy Black Bean, Thai noodles, and I'm probably forgetting some.  They're very yummy (I like the chili and the minestrone the best).  They are all high in fibre, low in fat, and most are pretty high in protein.  A bit of sodium, but not bad.

Sample - the Vegetarian Chili - 230 cal, 1.5 g fat, 11 g fibre, 14 g protein, 420 mg sodium

They're $1.79 each, which is pretty good, considering it's almost your whole meal.  They would work great in the shacks!

I also buy the Tuna things mentioned above, they're good too.

I spend 37 dollars a week on the following items-

3 Cans of brown beans (99 cents each, and you can't go wrong with beans)
3 cans of Chunky soup and/or Chili
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 half-gallon Soy Milk (Cheaper if you buy regular milk, but I'm lactose so my options are limited)
2 640g Containers of lactose-free yogurt (prices vary- again cheaper for the  regular stuff)
1 box of cereal
1 Bread item (usually either a loaf of brown or buns)
1 Meat item (I usually go sausages one week, hamburger the next week, steak if I don't mind spending a few
extra dollars that week, etc)

A month, I may spend a little over a hundred dollars on groceries.  Of course, for me, I'm not fussy on variety.

Also, peanut butter goes a loooong way!  (no home, barracks or shack should be without it!)

Bobby Rico said:
I spend 37 dollars a week on the following items-

3 Cans of brown beans (99 cents each, and you can't go wrong with beans)
3 cans of Chunk soup and/or Chili
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 half-gallon Soy Milk (Cheaper if you buy regular milk, but I'm lactose so my options are limited)
2 640g Containers of lactose-free yogurt (prices vary- again cheaper for the  regular stuff)
1 box of cereal
1 Bread item (usually either a loaf of brown or buns)
1 Meat item (I usually go sausages one week, hamburger the next week, steak if I don't mind spending a few
extra dollars that week, etc)

A month, I may spend a little over a hundred dollars on groceries.  Of course, for me, I'm not fussy on variety.

Also, peanut butter goes a loooong way!  (no home, barracks or shack should be without it!)

Where's the Cheez Whiz?

Get yourself a juicer. If $$ are tight get one at the Salvation Army, newer model the better. Cost less than 10 bucks. Go to the local (fresh) produce stand. Buy large bag carrots, tomato, onion, apple or other fruit in season, celery and garlic. Juice them to taste daily for max nutrition. Easy on the garlic if you have close friends. Best nutrition and value there is.

For breakfast use a small portion of the fiber (waste) from the juicer with egg in an omlette. Season with salt and pepper you pocket from McDonalds.

Buy Quaker rolled oats in bulk. Boil in water and season with Tim Horton pocketed sugar, salt and cream.

ZBM2 said:
Get yourself a juicer. If $$ are tight get one at the Salvation Army, newer model the better. Cost less than 10 bucks. Go to the local (fresh) produce stand. Buy large bag carrots, tomato, onion, apple or other fruit in season, celery and garlic. Juice them to taste daily for max nutrition. Easy on the garlic if you have close friends. Best nutrition and value there is.

For breakfast use a small portion of the fiber (waste) from the juicer with egg in an omlette. Season with salt and pepper you pocket from McDonalds.

Buy Quaker rolled oats in bulk. Boil in water and season with Tim Horton pocketed sugar, salt and cream.
Sounds like good ideas, thanks.

TN2IC said:
Ocean's Tuna Meal packs. $1.97 per one.

Am I the only one who finds tuna to be ridiculously expensive out here in BC; I just think canned fish should be affordable. I'm also living in the shacks and find I'm not getting my moneys worth. If I lived off base I'd still spend about 3 to 400 on groceries but I'd eat what I want and when I want. Another pain is having to plan all my weekend activities around the galleys scheduel so I don't miss a meal and have to eat out.

Back