• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Education Waiver

Hopefulmedtech

Inactive
Reaction score
I have recently applied for position of Med Tech. I do not have the high school biology that it requires, but I do have an Emergency Patient Care certificate, which as a more in depth biology component than high school level. The recruiting office has sent a waiver away for this, so my question is: does anyone know if this is sufficient enough for the CF to grant an educational waiver?

Since the recruiting office has sent a waiver away, it would seem that it may qualify.  Why not just wait and see instead of getting a whole bunch of answers along the lines of this one?

I was just wondering, it has been about 2 weeks now that I have been waiting for a reply to come back but I was told that the office has been really busy which I can understand. So I thought I would give it a chance on here to see what others would have to say.

The problem is, unless someone specifically knows all the courses required for Med Tech and their equivalencies, you're not going to get a definitive answer.  I'm sure that by looking at the course curriculum, the "powers-that-be" will be the best judges of if a waiver should be granted.  Just call the CFRC every once in a while (maybe once a week?) to ensure you don't fall through the cracks.

Understandable. Thank you. That was the only thing I was worried about was falling through the cracks. It is just a great opportunity that I don't want to miss out on. After completing my pre-service fire course I was very interested in become a paramedic and thought this might be the best way to go. Thanks again. :D

Hopefulmedtech:

The 'powers that be' in this case will be the Health Services Group, who will research the Emergency Patient Care curriculum if they have not already seen this one and give back a sensible answer.  It will take time; the CFRC should be able to confirm however that the Prior Learning Assessment Report (PLAR) request has been made from CFRG Headquarters to the HS HQ.

Thank you MKO. I appreciate your response and better understand why it takes time to receive an answer. I do keep in touch with the recruiting office but they seem really busy so I try not to  bother them too often. Just really excited about this opportunity and can't wait to hear something back so I know if I need to go out and get my biology credit.

This is what happened in case someone else is interested. I was declined a waiver for my first responders course, and was told that i needed Grade 12 University prep Biology. So I set out to complete this and did so in 3 weeks, just waiting for marks to come back now. I went into the CFR office and spoke with them about my options after I received the marks back. I was told that my file was still open, that they have received all of my background check and they passed. So all I have to do now is go in for medical and interview and hopefully be on my way to a new life in the CF.

Excellent news!  our dedication and perseverance, coupled with your desire to meet the requiremetns, will serve you (and the CF!) well in the future.

You did Grade 12 University Prep Biology in three weeks??  If so, I echo dataperson's kudos to you.

Thanks to you both. I am really excited of possibly having the chance of joining the CF as a Med Tech, and hopefully the waiting period won't take too long. Thanks again.

I'm serious.  Did you actually take a Grade 12 Biology course or just challenge the exam?  I only ask because three weeks is fast!

Three weeks no lie. It was an online course. They send you the first unit and I completed in a week. Then they sent out the rest of the units and it took me 2 full weekends to complete the last 4 units. I have an 84% going into the exam next week. I really surprised myself as well.

Back