• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EME Officer Duties

uniqnik

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone.  I would like to know if it is worth it to pursue an engineering career in the forces.  Hopefully there is an EME officer who can

assist with my question.  I would like to know exactly how much "engineering" (analysis, design, manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical

systems) an EME Officer with a degree in mechanical engineering will be doing?

I am not an EME officer; I know a fair number though and encounter some in my work.

Assuming you are a DEO, you would begin your career in St Jean for BMOQ, followed by fun in the sun in Gagetown for CAP (it's been renamed, but that's what most stil call it);  and finally roughly six months in Borden for your formal training as an EME officer.

Your first posting after completing your EME training will usually be a Service Battalion or possibly a base, where you will gain expereince commanding a platoon and working to meet production requirements - whether routine maintenace, minor overhauls, or more comprehensive repairs.

With that experience under your belt you may be posted to NDHQ to work on a formal project, where you will work from a concept design to define requirements, assess options, make recommendations and proceed with a formal procurement, acquistion, and introduction of equipment into service.

Your role in a project will vary with time; more junior officers (Captains and Majors) will be more engaged on the technical side, while Lieutenant Colonels will be more geared to the project management side.

Each acreer is different, though, so it's difficult to say precisely how much of each type of work you'll do throughout a career.  As well, you may discover an affection for commanding troops, and wind up spending more of your careeri nthat sort of role.

Hope this helps a bit.

Back