• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

European Hypocrites

mo-litia

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
David Irving's off to jail for questioning the extent of the Holocaust. 

Why isn't the mainstream media up in arms about the unjust Austrian law that has sent him to prison for exercising his freedom of speech?

Oh that's right, the media's too busy raising a stink about their right to print (and re-print) those cartoons of Mohama-what's his face.  Is anyone else a little queasy at the fact that the mainstream media is only willing to carry the banner of free speech for some causes, but not others? 

I'd be interested in seeing what everyone's thoughts on this matter are.  Do you believe that speech should be censored when it may be offensive?  Or do you think that the freedom to say whatever you want, no matter how distasteful, is of paramount importance in a truly free society?

Here's the link to the Irving bit: http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/02/21/austria.irving.trial.reut/

Irving to appeal jail sentence

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 Posted: 0706 GMT (1506 HKT) 

VIENNA, Austria (Reuters) -- An Austrian court sentenced British historian David Irving to three years in prison on Monday for denying the Holocaust during a 1989 stopover in Austria, dismissing his argument that he had changed his views.

Irving pleaded guilty, hoping for a suspended sentence, but the Vienna criminal court concluded he was only making a pretence of acknowledging Nazi Germany's genocide against Jews in order to escape a jail term.

"The court did not consider the defendant to have genuinely changed his mind," presiding judge Peter Liebetreu told the court after pronouncing the sentence.

"The regret he showed was considered to be mere lip service to the law."

Irving, 67, said he was shocked by the sentence handed down by three judges and eight lay jurors and lodged an immediate appeal.

His lawyer Elmar Kresbach said that even if Irving lost the appeal, he was likely to serve a maximum 1-1/2 to two years because of his age and status as a first-time offender.

Irving was arrested on a return visit to Austria last November, based on a warrant over lectures and a press interview he made in 1989 in the Alpine republic, where denying the Nazi genocide is a crime punishable by one to 10 years in prison.

"I'm not a Holocaust denier. Obviously, I've changed my views," Irving told reporters on his way into the court carrying a copy of "Hitler's War", among dozens of books on Nazi Germany and World War Two the self-taught historian has written.

Irving acknowledged denying in 1989 that Nazi Germany had killed millions of Jews but said he changed in his mind in 1991 after coming across personal files of Adolf Eichmann, the chief organizer of the Holocaust, during a speaking tour in Argentina.

"I said that then, based on my knowledge at the time, but by 1991 when I came across the Eichmann papers, I wasn't saying that anymore and I wouldn't say that now," he said.

"The Nazis did murder millions of Jews," added Irving, who addressed the court in fluent German.

He argued the case against him was a denial of his right to free speech and that historians in Austria and Germany, which has similar laws against Holocaust denial, were being told by lawmakers how to write history.

"Of course this trial is a question of freedom of speech," Irving told reporters. "The law is an ass here."

Austria is keen to show it is tough on Holocaust denial since a significant number of Nazi leaders including Adolf Hitler came from Austria, and Jews and other critics accused the country of glossing over its past for decades after the war.

Austria's 1986-92 president, Kurt Waldheim, admitted to hiding his service in Nazi Germany's army in the Balkans during World War Two and became unwelcome in many countries.

State prosecutor Michael Klackl contended that Irving was a serial "falsifier of history", dressed up as a martyr by right-wing extremists, and that his courtroom admissions only paid lip service to Austrian law.

"He's continued to deny the fact that the Holocaust was genocide orchestrated from the highest ranks of the Nazi state," Klackl said, citing examples of statements Irving made in interviews during the 1990s after his supposed turnabout.

Kresbach had asked the court for leniency because he said Irving had moderated his views and posed no threat to a stable Austrian democracy six decades after World War Two.

"Irving had expected certain strictness by the court because he was a very well known case. But the sentence was too harsh. It became a bit of a (political) message trial and the message was too strong," Kresbach told reporters after sentencing.

But Klackl said Irving remained an icon for neo-Nazis and revisionist historians worldwide.

Irving was arrested while on his way to address Austrian radical rightist student fraternity Olympia.

The prosecution said he attended meetings of "revisionist" historians, those dismissing the Holocaust, even after the time of his professed insight into the truth of the genocide, in which 6 million European Jews were killed by Nazi Germany.

A British High Court ruling in 2000 rejected Irving's libel suit against an American professor and her publishers, declaring Irving "an active Holocaust denier ... anti-Semitic and racist."

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Exactly what I said.

Then look at this guy's record and answer honestly if you feel he is getting a raw deal.

Hmmm....

You disagree with David Irving.  No big surprise there. So do I.

My point is that laws that limit free speech are inherently wrong and unjust.  My observation was on the hypocrisy of the media in only defending the 'free' speech of 'appropriate' causes.

This is wrong.  Censorship can never be justified.

mo-litia said:
This is wrong.  Censorship can never be justified.
I guess the Charter of Human Rights is wrong then.

The Canadian Human Rights Act (CHRA) provides that every person in the workplace has a right to freedom from harassment based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, marital status, family status, disability, pardoned conviction and sexual orientation.  These are referred to as prohibited grounds. 

So any written or oral communication contrary to the CHRA is OK in your books?

Just because our idiotic government has written something down in law does not make it just. The intent of this charter may be noble, but the ends that it seeks to achieve do not justify the means. 

Canada's hate law is a farce that will not likely withstand any legal challenges to it.

Laws which repress thoughts, expression or speech are totalitarian in nature and should be fought by every person who believes in personal freedom. 

Anybody else thinks this should be locked? Seems to me like there's no way for it to go but down...

Frederik G said:
Anybody else thinks this should be locked? Seems to me like there's no way for it to go but down...

You have a lot of nerve asking that a thread be shut down in your first post on it...

I disagree.  I initially brought forward the question of what people's thoughts were on the mainstream media championing some causes in the name of free speech, but happily trampling all over free speech when faced with an issue they disagree with.  I think this is a valid topic for discussion and am interested in hearing others' thoughts on it.

Frederik G said:

Heavens yes!!! Sure wouldn't want to encourage debate on a topical and contentious issue.....or.....perhaps we could MYOB and see where it leads. Someone just may make a comment or argument that may broaden our horizons.

I have a problem with the media's blatant double standards. 

Cartoons offensive to Muslims  = a mixed reaction from the media, most of whom pooh-poohed at the 'unprofessional', 'rabble-rousing' media outlets who published the drawings.  Most major media did not reprint the drawings citing 'sensitivity' and that reprinting the cartoons was not integral to telling the story about them.

Statues of Jesus and the Virgin Mary made out of elephant feces and human urine = a huge story for the media, and a triumph for 'freedom' of speech.  Media broadcast  images of this 'artwork' as it was a 'free speech' issue and was 'integral' to fully conveying the story.

I can think of several other similar situations that illustrate the hypocrisy in the politically-correct Western media but will refrain from describing them for the moment as I am interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.

Free speech is often offensive, but limiting speech is the most offensive proposition in a society that prides itself on it's freedoms.

mo-litia said:
You have a lot of nerve asking that a thread be shut down in your first post on it...

I disagree.  I initially brought forward the question of what people's thoughts were on the mainstream media championing some causes in the name of free speech, but happily trampling all over free speech when faced with an issue they disagree with.  I think this is a valid topic for discussion and am interested in hearing others' thoughts on it.

Granted, but I stand by my opinion this will only go down. But I shall do at least one post here.

I don't think there's that much hypocrisy in the mainstream media. They tend to not show anything deemed offensive to the general populace. They don't broadcast anti-gay messages, or anti-black messages, or anti-muslim, or anti-jew, or, well, any anti-something message.

One could argue that the way some people are portrayed could be offensive to a minority (like, say, protestors, which are often portrayed as rambling idiots) but in general, I don't see where the big problem is.

As far as freedom of the press and freedom of speech, I guess you look back at WW2 and think the censorship that prevented the enemy to know of our weaknesses as wrong? I'd say it's the same, now. We need a certain degree of censorship to protect ourselves. Just saying whatever we like, does not work. Most people have enough common sense to realize that going up to a Jew and saying "the Holocaust didn't happen" is offensive, same as showing the Mohammed comics to a Muslim is offensive. The problem comes from people who don't have that common sense; those are the people who are targeted by "censorship."

The Charter of Rights, especially the issue of freedom of speech, gives people too much credit. Most people have common sense and know that one person's freedoms end where another person's freedoms start, but some people just don't have that conception of the world.

I know one smart person (I can't remember who) said that if a country surrenders their freedoms for security they deserve neither, but I don't agree. Just to take the Mohammed comics as an example, I believe it is MUCH better to censor them than let them inflame the Muslim world and endanger our soldiers further. I'm not too much a proponent of outright censorship by outside sources, but this is one of those situations where it is probably the best idea.

kcdist said:
Someone just may make a comment or argument that may broaden our horizons.

Sorry if it came out as if I didn't believe that was possible. I just think it's unlikely that anyone will make such a comment. This is one of those issues (like same-sex marriage) where both sides will just throw things at each other and nobody will budge.

Just my view. Don't censor me! :p
mo-litia said:
I have a problem with the media's blatant double standards. 

Cartoons offensive to Muslims  = a mixed reaction from the media, most of whom pooh-poohed at the 'unprofessional', 'rabble-rousing' media outlets who published the drawings.  Most major media did not reprint the drawings citing 'sensitivity' and that reprinting the cartoons was not integral to telling the story about them.

Statues of Jesus and the Virgin Mary made out of elephant feces and human urine = a huge story for the media, and a triumph for 'freedom' of speech.  Media broadcast  images of this 'artwork' as it was a 'free speech' issue and was 'integral' to fully conveying the story.

I can think of several other similar situations that illustrate the hypocrisy in the politically-correct Western media but will refrain from describing them for the moment as I am interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.

Free speech is often offensive, but limiting speech is the most offensive proposition in a society that prides itself on it's freedoms.

Well, I wasn't gonna add anything, but... Yes, I agree double-standards should be removed. But two wrongs do not make a right. I think both should be "censored," not that we should allow insulting images of another religion to "make it right."

Quote,
Statues of Jesus and the Virgin Mary made out of elephant feces and human urine = a huge story for the media, and a triumph for 'freedom' of speech.  Media broadcast  images of this 'artwork' as it was a 'free speech' issue and was 'integral' to fully conveying the story

Well please, such a HUGE story will still have links all over the internet...could you provide?

Frederik G said:
Well, I wasn't gonna add anything, but... Yes, I agree double-standards should be removed. But two wrongs do not make a right. I think both should be "censored," not that we should allow insulting images of another religion to "make it right."

I guess I can meet you halfway on this: I agree that the double standards should be removed.  But not via more stringant censorship; I think I've made my thoughts on censorship pretty clear.

Bruce,

Give me some time to look up some links to the elephant ca-ca story you are interested in-it's old news that I was using as an example to illustrate the media / society double standards on the issue of freedom of speech.

I would still like to see more input on this topic...it could be a very interesting discussion with more input from all viewpoints.  (Just like the media would be far more informative with no censorship... ;D)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Quote,
Statues of Jesus and the Virgin Mary made out of elephant feces and human urine = a huge story for the media, and a triumph for 'freedom' of speech.  Media broadcast  images of this 'artwork' as it was a 'free speech' issue and was 'integral' to fully conveying the story

Well please, such a HUGE story will still have links all over the internet...could you provide?

I may be thinking of something different.... but this is the elephant dung Virgin Mary paintings...

http://www.renewal.org.au/artcrime/pages/c_ofili.html

http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/ny2.htm

Human urine was used as a fixative for the pigments in the ceiling of the Vatican and the painting of the Last Supper - this was common practice for artists at the time ...

See definition of fixative on the page below:
http://www.asu.edu/clas/shesc/dvrac/pages/education/vocab.html

Interesting bit of art history in regards to the urine being used as a fixitive.  However, it was not what I was referring to.

I googled up several links to what I was describing.  It seems that I may have been mistaken about a statue created out of elephant feces.  However, several links were found in regards to a painting of Mary adorned with said dung.

I guess you could say 'same s**t, differnet form of art'.  ;D

Here's the links:

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/editorials/cnhinseditorials_story_039062759.html

http://www.watchblog.com/republicans/archives/003232.html

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg100499.html

Even though I'm opposed to limiting freedom of speech beyond slander, I wouldn't really care if Irving were imprisoned for racism or something of that nature. But he wasn't, he was arrested for denying the holocaust, which is an absolutely ridiculous concept to criminalize.

mo-litia said:

...at the risk of stating the obvious, it seems to me that this statement conflicts with your free speech rant.  I don't think it requires any nerve at all, just a few taps on the keyboard.If we have free speech, shouldn't he be able to post what he wants? ::)

Back