• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Explosion at Tim Hortons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping for a terror attack?

While you are at it lets hope a high tension power line fails and kills a bus load of kids so as to remind Canadians of the danger electricity poses.

Wow, do you watch Fox News or are you just "special"?

I am going to hang onto my rights and enjoy my life as I see fit. Not only because it is the opposite of what the Terrorists want, but because it pisses off the fear mongers.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
                                        Ben Franklin

The halmark of a civil libertarian.  Going off half cocked.  GO!! and I were refering to an UNSUCESSFUL terrorist attack.  I can't even take a stab at what you are going on about. 

And again, a hippie with that stupid Ben Franklin quote.  The guy flew a kite in a thunderstorm.  Sure, he was bright beacon.  Just because someone says a thing, doesn't make it true.  And FYI, it wasn't even his quote:  http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

Hey, here is an applicable quote from Ben:

"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one.”
Benjamin Franklin

It was in a toilet stall...basically contained there.

The bigger question here (too bad he's not around to answer it) is why did he have a gas can on him?

Regards

GO!!! said:
+ 1 to all.

All we need is a nice, ineffective terror attack like this one in a few cities to get the public onto a war footing - where they should have been after 9-11.

Gunnerlove,

You will notice that I specifically stated "ineffective" in my post.

The Canadian public is in a dreamworld if they think terrorists can't (or won't) strike here. An attack like this one, in which only the terrorist is killed, serves to elevate public awareness of such possiblities while not harming anyone else.

I realise that this is not yet proven to be a terror attack, but the actions of the Toronto emergency services show that they were concerned about the possiblity, given the actions of the explosives unit when they detonated (two?) other suspicious packages close by. The lessons from Atlanta, when the bad guys blew up ambulances and fire trucks which were responding to the initial attack were well learned. Hats off to them.

We are fighting a war which has not yet been brought to us  here in Canada - apparently an Air Canada flight will have to be flown into the Parliament buildings before people like you wake up - I'd like to see us take some precautions before we have our own 9-11.

Having been dragged to two Tim Horton's by feminine company on the weekend, to stand in line behind fools and get crappy service and leave without getting anything because I had enough will power not to gobble down any of their polyunsaturated fat pellets

...sorry, where was I going with this?

Oh well, glad no one that matters was hurt. As for this being a terrorist attack, poor Toronto will do anything to look like a world class city. They need to relax; like the plain girl at the dance who gets all the attention because she actually has a personality, T.O. needs to be more like Calgary. Sit back and let it come to you...

And when and if it does happen,  call the Calgary Highlanders to come save us??? Sounds good to me. Drink the coffee leave the fat pills behind, good advice

Armymedic.......

Oooohhhh.....trust me......you CAN light a fart on fire. Ahhh...only to be young again! Although I find it hardly realistic that it would be able to burn a man that seriously.....maybe burn all you arse hairs off at the most.  ;)

Gunnerlove said:
Hoping for a terror attack?

While you are at it lets hope a high tension power line fails and kills a bus load of kids so as to remind Canadians of the danger electricity poses.

Wow, do you watch Fox News or are you just "special"?

I am going to hang onto my rights and enjoy my life as I see fit. Not only because it is the opposite of what the Terrorists want, but because it pisses off the fear mongers.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
                                        Ben Franklin

Good point.

Due dilligence, and live our lives the way we have in the past and will continue in the future

Those that "hope" for a Terrorist attack, need to give it some thought.

And yes I agree that the Toronto news media fed off that one. (after all it is the most important city in Canada, just ask anyone from Toronto  ::)
Seems there are people as jumpy as our southern friends. Soon we'll be banning 6 monthold babies from domestic flights because their name resembles something on a "terrorist list", tapping into phone lines etc.

Here's an idea for all those that endorse this doomsday approach;
Internment camps for those from foreign lands, seems we can't trust anyone nowadays, (hey...take their land away while we are at it)

oooops..............we tried that in the 40's and it really came back to bite us in the butt  ::)

Ready for the replies,
Sand bagged in and have my helmet on..............fire away  :warstory:

Unknown C/S said:
Good point.

Due dilligence, and live our lives the way we have in the past and will continue in the future

Nicely put.

I was downtown when this happened, albeit a few blocks south. When I found out about it, after getting home, I decided to hop back on the subway and go out for the night as I'd originally planned.

Yes, I was a bit scared. I'd rather be afraid outside and enjoying my city(even if the rest of Canada hates it!) than cooped up in fear at home.

Every time I get on the subway or post online, I feel like it's my one woman statement to the Taliban to bleep off because I'll not be cowering in the mountains like their mighty leader.

It's one thing to be vigilant, quite another to hide.

Unknown C/S said:
Good point.

And yes I agree that the Toronto news media fed off that one. (after all it is the most important city in Canada, just ask anyone from Toronto  ::)
Seems there are people as jumpy as our southern friends. Soon we'll be banning 6 monthold babies from domestic flights because their name resembles something on a "terrorist list", tapping into phone lines etc.

Internment camps for those from foreign lands, seems we can't trust anyone nowadays, (hey...take their land away while we are at it)

oooops..............we tried that in the 40's and it really came back to bite us in the butt  ::)

Ready for the replies,

You can relax.  That post is so rife with unsubstantiated rhetoric, I don't imagine that anyone will be too interested in it. 
Except me.
You speak of "Due diligence, and live our lives ".  How do you think that is supposed to happen?  What is "due diligence" to you?  Right now, most people seem to feel that "it won't happen here".  I can guarantee that if you took a suitcase and left it on the TTC subway, it would ride up and down that line until the cleaning crews took it off at the end of the night, or when someone decided to steal it.  Due diligence comes from actually paying attention to what is going on around you.  The fact that this dead clown went into a bathroom, and was observed with a gas can, or whoever thought that he was loaded up with explosives, and NOBODY SAID ANYTHING.  Everyone was just ordering coffees and cursing their loosing rims when Bobo went WOOF.  That is complacency and that is what kills people. 
The "way we live our lives" needs to change.  Sorry if that shakes some people out of their comfort zone.  If you think that wishing it away will work, maybe you should live in Disney World.  Those of us  on the inside (law enforcement)  KNOW for a fact that there are terrorist networks in Canada.  Lame ass laws keep us from doing much about it, until a group is right on the brink of an operation. 
I don't live in Toronto anymore, so the CN Tower won't be coming down on me.

Unknown C/S said:
Good point.

...if "due diligence" is defined by sticking your head in the sand, or elsewhere, and pretending that bad things and bad people only exist elsewhere.

the "hope" is for an ineffective, botched job, which would shake Canadians out of their smug stupor, especially in regards to thinking "it can't happen here"

....or arresting terrorists with trunkloads of bomb making materials at the Windsor/Detroit border crossing, or pointing out that nearly all of the 9-11 hijackers were in Canada at some point in the year before the attacks, or extraditing Abdullah Khadr, who lost his passport 13 times in two years before helping his father and brother kill US soldiers - and we are only now starting extradition procedures against, or kicking his paralysed little brother out of our Country and off of Health Care after he was crippled in a firefight with US troops....yes, all of these events are a crying shame :'( :'( :'(

Actually, it was for recent immigrants from a nation who we were at war with.

I notice you don't seem to have much empathy for the troops who experienced the tender mercies of the Japanese after the fall of Hong Kong....

....If your version of "biting us in the butt" is a public apology five decades later - I'll be the first to read it publicly - but our security NOW is my primary concern. The BC detention camps were a viable idea at the time, and in the context that they were used - which was in the middle of the most destructive war the world had ever seen.

Ready for the replies,

The above post is so lacking in insight and intellect, and so obviously inflammatory, I am tempted to dismiss it as nothing more than trolling, but it is just too easy to disprove nearly everything you say - and besides, I'm on vacation.

Go!! I think you can chalk this one up to
:brickwall:

Over and above wanting to keep his head in the sand, Unknown C/S appears to be trying to drive his shoulders and torso in.  Or maybe his head is being driven up somewhere else....?

zipperhead_cop said:
Go!! I think you can chalk this one up to
:brickwall:

Over and above wanting to keep his head in the sand, Unknown C/S appears to be trying to drive his shoulders and torso in.  Or maybe his head is being driven up somewhere else....?

It appears as though you know where the terrorist are, and what has to be done. Here is your chance to leave a lasting legacy. Round'm up

Just take that one "Barney Fife" bullet out of your shirt pocket and get on your way.
(Or is it Buford T Justice, "Gimme a diablo sandwich and a Dr Pepper I'm huntin terrorists")

Lord knows that one should not have a different opinion than you. As a PEACE Officer I hope the citizens in your jurisdiction are not suffering from your zeal to put an end to terrorists and evil doers (as you see it)
Backing the redneck opinion of some that still think "the Japanese Canadians earned the treatment they got"  and "Recent immigrants from a nation we are at war with" Gives one cause to assume they are all terrorists, is not what I call an well balanced individual.

Well done Zipperhead Cop you've managed to give Law enforcement and the Armoured Corps a bad name.

Unknown C/S said:
Backing the redneck opinion of some that still think "the Japanese Canadians earned the treatment they got"  and "Recent immigrants from a nation we are at war with" Gives one cause to assume they are all terrorists, is not what I call an well balanced individual.

Well done Zipperhead Cop you've managed to give Law enforcement and the Armoured Corps a bad name.

The "recent immigrants" quote was in regards to the Japanese who were interned during WWII, adjust your spectacles, rub your rheumy eyes and read my post again.

I advocate stringent immigration policies and security/identification checks so that families like the Khadrs can't get in - I noticed that you neglected to comment on that though.

Apparently we will have to suffer a terrorist attack before cranial/posterior insertion crowd clues in to the fact that we are at war, with enemy sympathisers here in Canada. I stated a few instances earlier, but you neglected to comment on them too.

Canada is facing a clear and present danger, yet you continue to advocate the "ignore it and it will go away" philosophy.

GO
Your personal attack have not gone unnoticed. You are far from objective. The repetitive statements of where I have my head stuck only serve to display your vindictive self-serving attitude. I think you should re-think your reason for being here. Is it a) to share ideas and opinions with others or b) to force your opinion on others and berate, belittle and name call those that have the audacity to have an opinion different from yours.

I shall stop posting, not because of intimidation, but because I am tired of you.

This should allow you to monopolize topics

GO!! - It seems that you have developed (maintained?) a habit of ending every counterpoint with a personal jab, attack or dig. I suggest that you learn a new habit, or you will be playing internet bully on someone else's message board.

:army:

Army.ca Staff

Unknown C/S said:
It appears as though you know where the terrorist are, and what has to be done. Here is your chance to leave a lasting legacy. Round'm up

Just take that one "Barney Fife" bullet out of your shirt pocket and get on your way.
(Or is it Buford T Justice, "Gimme a diablo sandwich and a Dr Pepper I'm huntin terrorists")

Lord knows that one should not have a different opinion than you. As a PEACE Officer I hope the citizens in your jurisdiction are not suffering from your zeal to put an end to terrorists and evil doers (as you see it)

Wow, for a guy that was weeping into his keyboard because he could not handle a bit of criticism from GO!!! as a result of YOUR flame, you don't seem to concerned with making inflammatory and insulting comments yourself.  You keep throwing paper tigers out.  GO!!!'s point about the interment of Japanese during WWII was an illustration, not an endorsement.  It was pretty obvious, and only someone going out of their way to be inflammatory would have taken it that way. 
As for hoping for an INEFFECTIVE terrorist attack that comes from a deep caring for this country, and knowing that people need to forever get their heads around the new world they live in.  We can all go back to ignoring the planet, but don't think the planet won't forget about us.  Ask ANYBODY that is involved at even the most medium level of intelligence in either military or police and they will tell you that a terrorist attack is not calculated in terms of "if".  It is most certainly a "when". 
As for the reputation of policing and the Armoured Corp, I don't presume to be able to represent with totality either of them.  Do you claim to be a representative of all Infantry Warrant Officers?  I'm sure you were an excellent "Peacekeeper" in your day. ::)
You know what, if someone were to put our posts on television, and ask people to come forward and claim them I would.  In a heart beat.  For someone who claims to be a warrant officer with a heap of military experience, I think your comrades in arms would be appalled at your concessionist, cut and run attitude. 
So far as rounding up terrorists, I would love to.  I know of four individuals right now that are associated to terrorism.  I know their names, addresses and where they work.  One of them used to be in the reserves.  However, as you point out, I am "just a Barney Fife" and terrorism is not a scope that is covered under the purview of municipal policing, short of dealing with a present threat.  With each individual I encountered, I contacted the CBSA or the RCMP (on one occasion the Department of Homeland Security directly) and each time I was told indirectly "we are on him, get all the info you can and let him be".  So I did.

As for the warning at GO!!!, I was the one who suggested that Unknown C/S had his head in a confined space.  I will take over the warning issued by Muskrat and ramp it down accordingly. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back