• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extra Kit on BMQ ? Cameras, Cell Phones, Laptops..

• Thread starter Thread starter stacy mogan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
HanrattSea said:
I'm sorry, I now realize how farfetched it is to consider the possibility of wireless internet being available in a government facility operated by a country with substandard communications capabilities. We are in an era where technology is scarce, afterall.

Feel free to not join the CF, and immigrate elsewhere.  The CFLRS mission is not "to provide personal wifi to mbrs who haven't broken in a set of combat boots yet".  You sit here and whine about that while real soldiers, sailors and airmen/women are deployed without SFA compared to what you have and you feel justified to come on here and waff your attitude around? 

Members on this forum that have some TI in the CF don't necessarily feel for you for not having your required gucci comm's requirements met in BMQ.  Its a volunteer army afterall.  Maybe this employer of choice has free wifi for you to take advantage of.

Peace out dawg.

The thread starter asked a question. That's what we're here for. The snappy, snide remarks and questions of committment were uncalled for. If you're having a bad day or week or whatever, and don't want to help, go bang your head against a tree and leave the forums alone. We're not here for your therapy.

Wireless is not generally provided as, from a military perspective, it is not necessary, there are concerns over misuse, abuse, and liability, and, for those on course, it would provide a distraction from the things that candidates should be concentrating upon.

That being said, I do not appreciate being "cut off" from the outside world, either.  Many of us, including those of us who did not grow up with this capability, have become addicted and suffer withdrawal when deprived of e-mail, and access to sites such as this one.

Sorry, I have done a search, but I'm notoriously bad at finding answers.

So I leave on 11 October 2008 to begin my BMQ on the 13. I've chosen NCM Armoured Soldier, and I've been offered it. I accepted. I've also tried to ask this question to my recruiter, but got no response.

What do I take with me to BMQ? How much, if any, civilian clothes? Leave laptop at home, I imagine? Bathroom equipment? Or do they issue everything to you?

Again, I'm sure this has been asked a million times.

Also, I've been told on here that we're potentially given holiday time off (for example, Christmas, which my training would go through otherwise). Does the Canadian Forces pay for the flight from Quebec back home to Kelowna? Or is that for me to cover?

Sorry again. I'm super-excited, but also pretty nervous about it. Thanks again for the help.

You are better off asking than not knowing and being ill-prepared.

And now that you've asked...

CFLRS Instructions For BMQ

In particular, read the Joining Instructions.  That has a complete list of what you will require and answers ALL the questions you should have...if you need more info, PM and I'll help.  You're almost in the breech here.

Most people here will tell you not to bring your laptop cause you wont "have time" to use it.  I've been at CFLRS 9 weeks and I just had mine brought to me in montreal.  They are good for the weekends off if you want to watch movies or toodle down to an internet cafe somewhere or what have you.  So I would say bring it, there is a secure lockup for it during the week on your floor.  Just don't get caught taking your electronics out of the lockup during the week, trust me some people in my platoon paid in week 3ish for that one.

Good luck!

Kyle

Sorry, but call me old school or old fashioned; and I 'm sure a few others will agree with me here.
In the before time, we didn't have any of these electronic gadgets to play with after hours.  I showed up to Basic with a small suitcase with undies, socks and a toothbrush...all else was supplied by the QM.  Besides, you didn't have time for any of it.  We were kept busy from 0600 to 1100 at lights out.  Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning and if you had spare time...you cleaned!  We double timed everywhere with FN-C1s at the port arms...yes, this was Cornwallis.  If the DS didn't like your kit...out the window it would gooooo.  You wore sliipers and coveralls while in the barracks, contact with the outside world was watching cars drive past on the road and weekly phonecalls...well, my family was and hour and a half away, so it didn't bother me too much. 
Sorry if I'm out of date, but I think the new ones have it a tad easier these days.  :warstory:
2cents.gif

BYT Driver said:
Sorry, but call me old school or old fashioned; and I 'm sure a few others will agree with me here.
In the before time, we didn't have any of these electronic gadgets to play with after hours. [/img]

Some people hope to use their laptops to keep in touch with loved ones...not necessarily to "play with after hours". In my case, I have a daughter who will be 9 when I leave for basic training and she is going to be in Cape Breton. My fiance will be in New Brunswick, where he is posted. If I can send and receive the occasional email or have a little msn chat (esp. video chat) with them in addition to the odd phone call, it will do wonders for my spirit. If I am not given opportunities to use my laptop, I will have to 'suck it up' like everyone else. However, I plan to take it with me *just in case*.

Only issue with that is there is NO internet available on base for personal computers. All the nearby networks are locked too. The Bistro..er O'Mega club has computers available in 20 minute increments and most of them have webcams. The local hotels also offer internet access for a small fee if you're staying off base on weekends.

I bought an aircard when I was on PAT - yeah too much free time I know. But it's a rather expensive option for the limited time you have when on platoon.

I merged several of these topics together so that you would not have to read seventy pages to find the info you wanted, so I wonder why with only five pages of posts people are reposting information that was probably on the previous page already?

Cat said:
The local hotels also offer internet access for a small fee if you're staying off base on weekends.

Unless things have changed recently, its free HSI at the Comfort Inn (wireless) and Auberge Harris (not wireless).  I just checked both their websites and there was no mention of it being at cost to the customer.

Cat said:
Only issue with that is there is NO internet available on base for personal computers. All the nearby networks are locked too.

There is a new add-on for your computer called "Portable Internet" available now (via Rogers, I believe). It's a modem you just plug in to your laptop that supposedly gives you an Internet connection wherever there is cellular service.

Celticgirl said:
There is a new add-on for your computer called "Portable Internet" available now (via Rogers, I believe). It's a modem you just plug in to your laptop that supposedly gives you an Internet connection wherever there is cellular service.

Yes, I have it through Telus, it costs me about $80 per month. Without regular access it's a bit pricey, plus the aircard itself requires a contract and the price of the peice can be anywhere from $50 - $300

Cat said:
Yes, I have it through Telus, it costs me about $80 per month. Without regular access it's a bit pricey, plus the aircard itself requires a contract and the price of the peice can be anywhere from $50 - $300

Wow. Yeah, that's a bit steep.  :-X

Celticgirl said:
Wow. Yeah, that's a bit steep.  :-X

I know. It was worth it for me being stuck on PAT plt, but with the access on a normal platoon, or even RFT it's not something I'd endorse for people generally, I fully endorse bringing a laptop, but if you're looking at doing video conversations I would stick to the Bistro or find someone who's renting a hotel room and "borrow" their internet either from the room or from the nearby timhortons.

Celticgirl said:
Some people hope to use their laptops to keep in touch with loved ones...not necessarily to "play with after hours". In my case, I have a daughter who will be 9 when I leave for basic training and she is going to be in Cape Breton. My fiance will be in New Brunswick, where he is posted. If I can send and receive the occasional email or have a little msn chat (esp. video chat) with them in addition to the odd phone call, it will do wonders for my spirit. If I am not given opportunities to use my laptop, I will have to 'suck it up' like everyone else. However, I plan to take it with me *just in case*.
I apologise, in this case, it is a good thing...BUT when I was on POET {breifly} the "kids" did have laptops etc to play games.  I took me awhile to get with the new age.  But I'm here...not all there, but here.    ;D

BYT Driver said:
I apologise, in this case, it is a good thing...BUT when I was on POET {breifly} the "kids" did have laptops etc to play games.  I took me awhile to get with the new age.  But I'm here...not all there, but here.    ;D

No problem. ;) I'm sure there will be lots of "kids" there who want their computers just for entertainment (not that there is anything wrong with that - on the weekends). I like to play the occasional game on the computer, too (and I'm turning 37 later this month), but that's not why I want to take my laptop to St. Jean.

With the prices Cat listed, I'm not sure about the likelihood of my getting the portable internet feature, though. I think someone said that the local Tim's has wireless access?

Do yourself, your peers and your staff a favor and leave your cell phone at home.

Learn to exist without it for a few weeks.

Celticgirl said:
No problem. ;) I'm sure there will be lots of "kids" there who want their computers just for entertainment (not that there is anything wrong with that - on the weekends). I like to play the occasional game on the computer, too (and I'm turning 37 later this month), but that's not why I want to take my laptop to St. Jean.

With the prices Cat listed, I'm not sure about the likelihood of my getting the portable internet feature, though. I think someone said that the local Tim's has wireless access?

Tim's is right beside the Holiday Inn, so their wireless signal hits there if you get the access code from a friend who's more concerned about off-base frat then internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back