• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extra Kit on BMQ ? Cameras, Cell Phones, Laptops..

• Thread starter Thread starter stacy mogan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stacy mogan

My son is joining the army. We do not have a date when he will leave for basic training. Can anyone tell me what they need to bring with them to training. His birthday is this weekend and I would like to give him things that will be of use to him. Also is there a graduation ceremony after basic that parents can attend? Do they come home between basic and when they start training for their job? Also how do they get to Quebec, military transport?

Hmm, with you being in BC and your son attending training in Quebec, I will assume he his going Regular Force. Being a reservist, I am not 100%, but, Military transport will most likely be arranged as it is/was at the Reserve level.

As for things he will need? The Army pretty much provides Recruits with everything they need less toiletries, boot kits (polish, brushes), etc... They sound like silly ideas, but necessary.

I can‘t comment on the time frame between training. Usually grad parades involve family if they can make it. I‘m sure some of the others in this forum can elaborate for me.

small shopping list for basic:

- black boot polish (kiwi)
- applicator brush (kiwi)
- boot brush (kiwi)
- Kiwi cloth (kiwi makes the best polishing stuff)
- spending money in cash
- calling card
- liquid laundry soap
- a black permanent marker
- brasso
- alarm clock (preferably small and battery operated)
- comfortable running shoes

As for transportation, it will all be arranged and paid for by the military. There may be some other necessities I forgot here, depending on where he is and what is provided. Spending money in cash is always a good idea, since getting to a bank machine can sometimes be difficult. Leave is arranged depending on the completion date of his course, and the start date of the next one (could be a week, could be a year). Family are usually encouraged to attend graduation ceremonies, but getting there and back will be your responsibility. Your son should know the date of the grad ceremony within the first few days of training.

Hope these ideas will help a little

What‘s the Brasso for? Curious... none of my kit was brass... maybe reservists don‘t get ALL the fancy kit?

I know your son‘s birthday is probably over by now, but just a few more things that I found really handy from my course at St-Jean, in addition to what combat_medic posted:

- sewing kit (lots of needles)
- good insoles
- cards (just in case he gets free time)
- swiffer pads
- iron/spray starch
- void cheque

Everything can be bought at the CANEX during the first week, in fact many things must be bought there for ‘uniformity‘ purposes. Your son will be able to get a cash advance for this, but spending money is a necessity. Avoiding the cash advance is always good.

Transportation to/from Basic will be provided, if there‘s enough people there could be a dedicated transport or it could simply be civilian transport to Montreal.

Brasso is for brass. My collar dogs, shoulder titles and hair sporran are all real brass and need to be shone every time I wear them

Holy crap, you have collar dogs?

There is nothing brass in any kit I have been issued... yet. As a RES F noobie, I only have combats, webbing, and helmet. I don‘t even have sleep kit or cold weather kit, yet.

If you are lucky, some Regiments have brass cap badges and buckles. Getting your hands on them is another thing...

I have brass buttons, collar dogs, belt buckle, cap brass, everything is regimental (other than MY cap brass, cuz I‘m a medic), but you don‘t get it until you‘re trained... that way you‘ll feel more that you earned it.

Plus it doesn‘t hurt to use the brasso on anything brass in the barracks when you‘re on course...

portcullisguy when you do your basic in the reservers you can‘t get issued your DEU‘S until you are QL3 qualified that‘s why you don‘t have collar dogs, etc.

WRT to not having any sleeping gear or CW kit you should really ask your course staff about getting it because it is essential for when you are out in the field.

:cdn:

i was just wondering how usefull cell phones are in the army. do you haver any time to use them or are cell phones just a waste of money. i was wondering because my cell phone contract ends soon and i wanted to know if there was any point of renewing my contract. thanks for your help.

waste of money while you are at basic training, But i know lots of Guys in Gals Who own cell phone in the Military

Yea, while on Basic (th0 i havent taken it yet), i bet if that phone went off while a sargeant was speaking to you... u R in bigggg trouble. Don‘t bring it. I don‘t use my cell until on break or after training is done on my commutes to and from home.

A cellphone will definitely come in handy on course. Just wait til you get time off and everyone else is waiting in line for the payphones. Just make sure you don‘t spend all your down time talking on the phone when you have other stuff to be doing (cleaning weapons, preparing for inspection, studying for tests.) On my course, the staff talked about having us hand in civvie kit (including phones) so they could lock it up in the sea container, probably so we weren‘t distracted.

if you have a contract that is canada wide than keep the phone, but if you are going reg than you can be anywhere in canada so it might get a little costly to keep it. best to see where you are posted and get one there.

Leavin for my BMQ on Sept 26 and just wondering if there is anything that is not listed in the instructions that would be a good idea to bring along.  I was wondering if they allow you to bring cell phones, I wasnt able to find that anywhere. Thanks  :cdn:

I know there was a previous thread, anything thing else can any body think off other than the list that was given by CJ.

bring your sense of humor, team spirit, and an open mind.

Looks like camp counsilour Da Man will be leading the Koom-By-Ya session today at camp kids!  >:D

I believe all personal items for like pleasure or wutever have to fit in a shoe box to go on top of your locker, dont know for sure but maybe someone heard the same thing that can verify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back