• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Extra Kit

D

Danny

What is some extra kit you guys bring with you on a ex? I mean kit that wasnt issued? (ex-folding chairs,etc)

jumpmaster knife
green wool balaclava
hatch camo shooter gloves
cadpat valise (from peacekeeper)
sometimes depending on the weather I‘ll wear a set of matterhorn USMC boots
I use to wear one of them old 3seasons lbv that was issued till the tact vest came along.
Greg

Mag Light
OD Nomax Flight Gloves
USGI Polypro socks
OD 3L Camelbak

In the CF do they let you bring and wear pretty much anything you want on ex‘s? Or do they set strict limits?

depends on what unit you are with.
some it‘s only what‘s issued to you.
some they allow it so long as it looks a) olive drab b) cadpat
some allow whatever you want so long as it‘s issued to one of the nato countries (except the uniform, must wear the uniform issued to you)
but mainly the first two I stated are the ones you‘ll run into most often then not.
I forgot I had a maglight and a camelback too.
Greg

... and sleep is for the weak and undermotivated!!

:p

"I‘ll sleep when I‘m dead" RIP Warren

1. Reinforced rubber liners for valise and ruck. Green outside and black inside. Super tear resistant and virtually water proof. (I tipped a canoe in rapids, my ruck went into water for 200-300m and kit inside ruck stayed bone dry)

2. polypro long johns (lightweight or medium)

1. For colder exs, I bring a small MEC stove and brew kit for brewing up
2. Folding S&W knife
3. Paramedic scissors
4. Mag light
5. Small red LED light on dog tags
6. Good gloves
7. Baby wipes

I use a garbage bag to line my ruck an valaise.
Baby wipes are something I forgot to add, great to have. And ziploc bags.

I use a garbage bag to line my ruck and valise....because my sergent told me to.....

whats the deal with K-bars? I want one (not like Im gonna be using it). Can you request specific kit or are there alot of annoying regulations involved?

Bungee Cords are useful to have. Barring that, bring paracord. You never know when it might come in handy.

Good luck getting issued a KA-Bar! If you really want one, they go for about $110 in most surplus stores. This is the model I have, and I‘ve seen alot of other troops carrying around the same one: https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1217&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Military/Tactical

Cant take the bayonet home though. I think I might just do what you said Infantry Soldier, and buy my own. Can you request specific kit? Or is it more of a "you get what we give you" sorta deal?

you can get good hunting knives for a heck of a lot cheaper than a k-bar. I believe I paid about $40 for mine. Looks, weighs and feels like a k-bar, but has a stainless steel blade. Only downside is that it doesn‘t have a rubber handle.

I bring my gordini gloves with me on winter ex. Only gloves I‘ve ever seen that work as advertised (i.e. 100% waterproof)

Never could justify spending the money for a cadpat valise. But I did buy the polarfleece sleeping bag liner from them. Best investment I‘ve ever made. Keeps you a **** of alot warmer during the winter that the standard liner and can be used as a stand-alone sleeping bag in the summer (+ ranger blanket).

I also bring an LED flashlight (just gotta find one in red) just in case, a lighter, hexamine tabs, bungee cords + tent pegs, my orders format aide de memoir, china markers, permanent markers, dry erase markers, map kit & EXTRA TOILET PAPER!

Back