• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eye exam? possibly wrong?

medicineman said:
Your medical goes to the Recruit Medical Office in Ottawa for final vetting and verification of medical fitness.

MM

I knew that, I'm just confused because "came back from" is kind of opposite of "goes to". I guess I might be missing something blatantly obvious!  :p Also, I was never told what V# I am, nor any other of the medical categories for that matter.

matthew1786 said:
I knew that, I'm just confused because "came back from" is kind of opposite of "goes to". I guess I might be missing something blatantly obvious!  :p Also, I was never told what V# I am, nor any other of the medical categories for that matter.

Lucky, and thanks mate for the visual trades :p

Rcmpwarrior said:
my medical came back from Ottawa and they said that my vision is a v4 ( which it is uncorrected -2.25 and -2.50) but i do wear glasses and have 20/20 vision with them.. my question is why did i get a v4 if i have perfect vision with my glasses on?

Had the same prescription and yep, I was a V4. Couldn't see the E clearly on the chart. They count your vision without glasses, because war isn't nice and doesn't stop if your glasses get broken or knocked off. In fact, I enrolled with V3 and did a medical 5 years later and bumped up to V4. Thankfully I was already trained or I would have had to transfer to another trade.

I'm surprised with that link on how many trades accept V4. The world was a blur for me, but V4 probably covers a lot of differing prescriptions.

Rcmpwarrior said:
Lucky, and thanks mate for the visual trades :p

:facepalm:  Its Annex E from the ones I gave you earlier (you know, the ones you said you already looked thru  ;)).  ALL of Med Cat info is avail there, including, yes Annex E.

matthew1786 said:

As a general rule, you aren't told, because they have to be vetted in Ottawa or Borden first, especially now...I never told anyone their category other than maybe vision or colour vision, and sometimes hearing, as they might have to be prepared to have further examinations done and or have to pick another trade or classification.  If your vision was a 2 or worse and you're applying for aircrew, I'd say so...if you're V4, I'd tell you and your recruiter that right away to ensure you all could get on the same wavelength about picking something from the non-combat arms trades and the medical would come back saying "fit V4 trades/classifications only".  Most people's eyes glaze over when you attempt to describe the category system to them anyway - they just want to know that they are fit, not fit, or not so sure, and what do they need to do (if that's possible) to fix it.

MM

medicineman said:
As a general rule, you aren't told, because they have to be vetted in Ottawa or Borden first, especially now...I never told anyone their category other than maybe vision or colour vision, and sometimes hearing, as they might have to be prepared to have further examinations done and or have to pick another trade or classification.  If your vision was a 2 or worse and you're applying for aircrew, I'd say so...if you're V4, I'd tell you and your recruiter that right away to ensure you all could get on the same wavelength about picking something from the non-combat arms trades and the medical would come back saying "fit V4 trades/classifications only".  Most people's eyes glaze over when you attempt to describe the category system to them anyway - they just want to know that they are fit, not fit, or not so sure, and what do they need to do (if that's possible) to fix it.

MM

Well I was merit listed for a combat arms trade so I'll just go ahead and assume that I have at least V3. ;D It would be nice to know the actual number though. For example, lets say I am not selected this year and decide to try for Pilot next year, at least I'll know whether or not I should even bother trying.  :2c:

Do you know your visual acuity (that's the number over 6 or 20, not the Rx)?

medicineman said:
Do you know your visual acuity (that's the number over 6 or 20, not the Rx)?

Last time I saw my optometrist these are the numbers he gave me for the Imperial Snellen chart. With my right eye I was able to read all the way to the bottom line, left eye I think I made it to the 5th line with no miskates.

Left eye = 20/40 with slight astigmatism.
Right eye = 20/20

Back