• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (serving Canadian military)

Sgt Bob (Robert) St Dennis,  8CH (PL)/RCD 
5 Jan 2006                            47 years old

Sgt Bob (Robert)St Dennis, RCD Died on Thursday of serious head injuries received in a car crash on Dec 23 2005. Bob was coming home from work on the evening of the 23rd when his car was hit by a 25 year old man speeding away from a Police chase. He was in a coma for the entire time and his daughter stated that even if he had survived he'd have been a vegetable. He was 47. He is survived by his second wife, daughter and I believe a son. Another sad day for the Regimental family.

He also served with the Regt in Germany. Originally he was an Hussar, as most of us he served multiple units.  It was his second marriage, his first had cancer and believe she died of it in or around 1997. His daughter was from the first marriage.

Another one...!?

Rest in Peace Sgt.

Stood down...For the final time :salute: :cdn:

Slim
Armour Corps (Retd)

did anybody hear anything about a reservist killed in the bahamas in a car crash on christmas day dec 25 2005?  was wondering if anybody had a link to the story, can't find anything anywhere. 
RIP.

croberts038 said:
did anybody hear anything about a reservist killed in the bahamas in a car crash on christmas day dec 25 2005?  was wondering if anybody had a link to the story, can't find anything anywhere.   
RIP.

Try this one:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:njgmrrMlQa8J:www.army.dnd.ca/lfwa_hq/Documents/2005/NR/NR-41_CBG_MBdrStyles_Funeral.pdf+canadian+reservist+killed+in+bahamas&hl=en

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2006/01/06/pf-1381546.html

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lfwa_hq/reading.htm

There is also a thread here, in the Artillery forum:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/38265.0.html

Please remember Cpl. Jamie Murphy Today! 
Cpl. Jamie Brendan Murphy, 26, of Conception Harbour, Nfld., was killed when a suicide bomber with explosives strapped to his body, reportedly jumped on one of two Iltis jeeps carrying six Canadian soldiers on patrol. Three other Canadian soldiers were injured in the blast. 
At the time of his death, Cpl Murphy had only five working days left before his scheduled return to Canada.

I had meant to post this back just before Christmas, to coincide with MAJ Hendrickson's 20th anniversary of his untimly death. So better late then ever.

For any long serving 'old dogs', you may have knew him, and this may jar your memories somewhat. Back in January 1976 when I signed on, there was this PL Comd in A Coy, a LT named Doug Hendrickson of the Regina Rifles. Over the years between 1976 and in 1984 Doug went from LT to CAPT, then to MAJ. He was popular within the Regiment, and was a good officer, showing all the traits and then some, of not only a great leader, but an example to follow for others. He was fair, approachable, and most of all showed the genuine care and concern for his men and loyality to his Regiment and his Corps.

Not only was he well recieved with the men, but also with his peers and superiors, and he would have been groomed for positions others only dreamed of if he had not had a skiinng accident the week before Christmas of 1985. On 23 Dec 1985, MAJ D.J.Hendrickson, CD died of his injuries from the accident. He was buried with full honours in Regina, leaving behind his wife Penny.

Even to this day, I have a 5x7 framed picture of him in my bar, sitting in the back of a 67 Ptrn Jeep, smiling, and having a box lunch at the SMG range in Dundurn, taken on SYEP 83 in the summer of 1983. I'll see if I can scan it and post it here. Even though its been 20 long years, and even now, I realise that he had some kind of an influence on me in some way.

I miss him, as anyone who knew him truly would.

If anyone who reads this remembers him, raise a beer for him when you got a spare minute.

Regards,

Wes

croberts038 said:
did anybody hear anything about a reservist killed in the Bahamas in a car crash on Christmas day DEC 25 2005?  was wondering if anybody had a link to the story, can't find anything anywhere.   
RIP.

Glenn Styles was my son's friend and room mate. We were opening presents Christmas day when Jeremy got a phone call informing him about Glenn's death, that sort of killed off the day. Glenn was headed to Afghanistan this month.

:salute:

LGen Christian Couture (Retd) was killed on 28 Jan 06, in a snowmobile accident.  LGen Couture was an outstanding officer (Comd 5 GBMC in IFOR Roto 1) and was ADM(HR-Mil) for many years.  He was instrumental in spearheading many of the key initiatives that we now have: medal mounting and access to medical pension prior to release being but two.  I had the great pleasure of spending 2-3 days with him in Bosnia and he was everything you wanted from a Canadian General Officer.   :salute:

Stand Easy

Gunner said:
LGen Christian Couture (Retd) was killed on 28 Jan 06, in a snowmobile accident.  LGen Couture was an outstanding officer (Comd 5 GBMC in IFOR Roto 1) and was ADM(HR-Mil) for many years.  He was instrumental in spearheading many of the key initiatives that we now have: medal mounting and access to medical pension prior to release being but two.  I had the great pleasure of spending 2-3 days with him in Bosnia and he was everything you wanted from a Canadian General Officer.   :salute:

Stand Easy

Translated from an e-mail I recievd at work:

"Snowmobiler loses his life on Lake Édouard - Experience in question

A 56 year old man, Christian Couture, from Saint-Gédéon, in the Lake-Saint-Jean region, lost his life Saturday morning near 11:20 AM, on Route 355, 22 kilometers north of Lake-Édouard.  According to the Officer Chantal Mackels, Surete du Quebec, the collision would be the result of the inexperience of the snowmobiler who lost control of his machine before colliding with another snowmobile travelling in the oppiste direction.

The American tourist who was on the second snowmobile suffered non-life threataning injuries.  The two people were transported by an Air Médic helicopter, to the Center of Health and Social Services of the High-Saint-Maurice.  Mr. Couture was pronounced dead on arrival.

The Surete du Quebec have classified this as an accidental death."

I had met and spoken with LGen Couture many times while serving in DHRIM.  In 2003 he visited the Palladium Roto 13 BG I was deploying with and took a keen interst in the troops needs, particulalry the Reservists.  He was truly an officer and a gentleman.

Wasn't sure if this was posted here or not but I've been informed that a Member to a sub-forum "The Military Forum" I administrate for on another site has passed away.

Private Brendan O'Shea of the Calgary Highlanders

http://www.legacy.com/Images/Cobrands/CAN-Calgary/Photos/000015082_20060213_1.jpg​
O'SHEA _ Brendan Thomas 1986 - 2006 Brendan Thomas O'Shea of Calgary passed away suddenly in Nose Hill Park, Calgary on Friday, February 10, 2006 at the age of 19 years. Brendan was a native Calgarian born December 7, 1986. He was educated at St. Dominic's Elementary, St. Jean Brebeuf Junior High and graduated in 2004 from St. Francis Senior High School. Brendan enrolled as a proud member of the Canadian Forces on January 24, 2004, holding the rank of Private with The Canadian Highlanders. Brendan was a qualified Infantryman and had training on Infantry platoon support weapons and communications equipment. Brendan will be lovingly remembered by his mother Brigid, brother Owen, stepmother Laurie and her sons, Jay, Rob and Craig; grandmother Eva; step-grandmother Vi; Aunt Fiona; Uncles, Ray, Ciaran, Brendan and Martin; as well as many relatives and friends in Alberta, Newfoundland and Ireland. He will never be forgotten by the Canadian Forces in particular Brendan's military family in The Calgary Highlanders. Brendan was predeceased by his father Gordon Legge, grandfather Harold Legge, grandfather Patrick J. O'Shea and grandmother Ellen O'Flynn. Relatives and friends are invited to Prayers and Tributes at St. Luke's Catholic Church (corner of Northmount Drive and Northland Drive N.W.) on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 7:30 p.m. Funeral Mass will be concelebrated at St. Luke's Catholic Church (corner of Northmount Drive and Northland Drive N.W.) on Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 11:00 a.m. with Rev. Inocencio C. Cambaling and Rev. Stefan Ganowicz presiding. Graveside services to follow at Queen's Park Cemetery, Field of Honour. Forward condolences through www.mcinnisandholloway.com . If friends so desire, memorial tributes may be made directly to The Calgary Highlanders Regimental Funds Foundation (funds to be held in trust for disburs

Rest in peace, didn't  know you but I'm sure you were an outstanding fellow.  Your time has come to protect the gates of heaven.

Thanks for the info on the trust fund have pass the info to TSE CoC.  Anyone know about a similar fund for Cpl Davis ???

Thread here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40912.0.html

Preliminary news here:

http://www.cbc.ca/ns/story/ns-howell-armoury20060313.html

I'm not well-spoken enough to do him justice, but Pte Brad Howell was a great guy who was truly liked by all. In some of my more jaded moments I'd look at him and think 'man, I'm glad we have soldiers like him around'. The CF, the Army and The Princess Louise Fusiliers will be worse off in his absense. Blue Skies soldier.

TURNER, Lieutenant William M. - (Serving with Land Force . . .

(Apr 28, 2006) -- TURNER, Lieutenant William M. - (Serving with Land Force Western Area Headquarters, Civil Military Cooperation). Tragically in Afghanistan, on Saturday, April 22, 2006. Lt. Bill Turner of Edmonton, formerly of Guelph, age 45 years. Beloved son of the late Bill Turner, and Margaret Smith. Loving brother of Toyo Turner of Edmonton. Bill will be sadly missed by his Aunts, Uncles, and extended family. The family will receive friends for Visitation at the Butcher Family Funeral Home, 5399 Main St. South, Erin on Sunday, April 30 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. The Funeral Service will take place at the Royal Canadian Legion, 12 Dundas Street East, Erin on Monday, May 1, 2006 at 2 p.m. with Padre Steve White officiating. Interment Erin Union Cemetery. A Masonic Service will take place at the Funeral Home Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. If desired donations to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario or the Juvenile Diabetes Association would be appreciated as expressions of sympathy. (Due to severe family allergies please refrain from the use of any perfumes or colognes when attending the visitation or funeral service).

Darren Steele is a former artillery officer who reclassified to PAFF.

From the public affairs Branch Advisor:

It is with profound sorrow that I must advise all members of the Public
Affairs Branch and family that Major Darren Steele died as a result of a
motor cycle accident in the evening of Friday, June 2nd in Colorado Springs,
Colorado.  Darren is survived by his two sons, Benjamin and Seth, and his
former wife, Peggy Steele, all of whom reside in Winnipeg.

Darren made a big impact on all who met him.  He was a stalwart and
enthusiastic proponent of public affairs and the Canadian Forces, he was
generous to a fault, and he was a leader of every team he ever joined.

Darren will be deeply missed.

We  must  not  forget  those who  came  before  us, neither those  that  shall  come  after  us...... A  SALUTE  TO  OUR  FALLEN  WARRIORS!

''  EVERY  WARRIOR  SINCE  THE  BEGINNING  OF  TIME  HAS  KNOWN  THIS :  CONQUER  YOUR  FEARS  AND YOU  SHALL  CONQUER  DEATH! ""  from  ALEXANDER  THE  GREAT movie.

I believe this young fellow should be mentioned here.

God Bless

David Payne
(missing1)

Cpl Randy Joseph Payne

Killed in Afghanistan April 22 2006

Corporal Randy Payne of CFB/ASU Wainwright Military Police (MP) Platoon in Wainwright, Alberta, was killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 April 2006. Randy was serving as a member of the Close Protection Team that was assigned to protect the Regional Command South Commander, Brigadier General David Fraser.

Randy and 3 other soldiers were killed when a roadside bomb struck the G-Wagon they had been driving back to Kandahar Airfield from a remote Forward Operating Base near the Gumbad platoon house, 75 kilometres north of Kandahar city. The 3 other soldiers were killed instantly, but Randy was airlifted back to the airfield where he underwent emergency surgery but later succumbed to his massive injuries.

Randy Joseph Payne was born in Lahr, Germany on 29 May 1973 to David and Nancee Payne. During his time in Germany, Randy had started to play and excel in ice hockey. He was also involved with the boy scouts. The family spent many summers driving around various parts of Europe with their tent trailer exploring. Randy lived in Baden-Soellingen until 1981 while his father was stationed with 3 Mechanized Commando / Royal Canadian Regiment before being posted to the Signals Regiment in Kingston Ontario in the summer of 1981.

The family lived on base in Kingston for a couple of years before moving out into the countryside east of Gananoque Ontario. While living in the Gananoque area, Randy attended William Hiscocks Public School and his high school years were spent at Gananoque Secondary School. Randy continued playing ice hockey and when he was old enough to play, was a key member of the Gananoque Islanders Junior B team, even captaining them for a couple of years. Randy was also selected (by then Ottawa Senators coach Rick Bowness) to captain a team of elite under-18 year olds at a large tournament held down in Boston.

After graduating from high school in Gananoque, Randy took a law and security course at Algonquin College in Ottawa, hoping to become a police officer. He didn't get hired right away, so he took a job at the Nortel plant in Brockville, Ont., where he worked his way up to become a quality assurance manager.

In the summer of 1995, while attending the annual Festival of the Islands in Gananoque, Randy met his future wife Jody. They started dating shortly after and on 2nd of August 1997 Randy & Jody became husband and wife. The family welcome their first child into the world on 18 December 1998 with their son Tristan. There daughter Jasmine was born 31 January 2001.

After stints with Nortel in Ottawa and Montreal, Randy heard there were openings with the military police. He relished the chance to finally work his dream job and being the member of a proud military family, he joined the CF on 15 May 2003 from Kingston, Ontario and graduated from his MP QL3 course shortly thereafter.

He was then posted to Wainwright, Alberta in March 2004, where he worked diligently as a patrolman until the summer of 2005 when he was selected to assist at the busy Vernon Cadet Camp. A daunting task.

In September 2005, Cpl Payne decided to submit his application for the Close Protection Team that was being put together for duties overseas in Afghanistan. Cpl Payne was an excellent candidate for this training as he was one of the top performers of the Wainwright MP Platoon. The CP Team accepted his application and he began his training in earnest in October 2005. Between training sessions and a busy personal schedule, he succeeded in becoming a full-fledged member of the Elite Team and was deployed to Afghanistan as close protection for General Fraser the area Commander at the end of January 2006.

At the time of his departure from the Platoon in Wainwright for the CP Team, it was apparent to all that his level of ability had far surpassed the confines of his posting as a patrolman.

Randy leaves behind a wife, Jody, two children (a daughter Jasmine, aged 5 and a son Tristan, aged 7), his parents (Dave and Nancee Payne, Peterborough On) and an older brother (Christopher, Ottawa On).

Back