• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fatal Car Accident at CFB Esquimalt last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps they were a little eager to start the recruiting process!  (a much better theory than the homicide, no need to call in Columbo)

armyca08 said:
Maybe it was just the type of base CFB Gagetown vs CFB Northbay - gagetown seemed much more active personnel oriented while Northbay seemed institutional - like residential and administrative.

North Bay seemed institutional? Of course it did, it is, very much so. Yes, there is a huge difference between Gagetown and North Bay. Gagetown is more of a training/operational type base, more first line shall I say. North Bay USED to be a big base, until the decade of darkness hit. During the Cold War there were fighter squadrons based there, they even had a nuke base. Hell, I used to live beside the old site! (It's apparently renovated for storage now in case anyone cares.) During that time, yeah, have fun getting on the base if you weren't supposed to. Since the downsizing of the base started in the early 90's there has been less need for security (certain areas exempt, *cough* NORAD *cough*). The airfield itself is no longer DND, and the hangars are leased out to private firms (Bombardier assembles(d?) the CL-415 water bomber there). When the hole was in operation it would have been impossible for anyone to get in. That's how it was designed. Now with th above ground, I don't know, haven't been there since it went up.

As for Gagetown, I can't explain it as I haven't been there. As for the open/closed policy for bases, that is up to the individual base commander if I'm not mistaken. Borden went closed gate this month (I believe, was supposed to be right after I left) as they were tired of the Honda employees using the base as a short cut. Plus other security reasons I'm sure.

I can't however get over how paranoid you seem with your posts in this thread. I mean really? It was a traffic accident and you are making it out to be an attack or something. Before we jump to anything, wait for the facts to come out. Easy on the tinfoil hats, seriously.

If the water is more than 20' deep the car will generally land on it's roof, lights, wipers and door lock will keep functioning often for quite some time, there was extensive testing of car watercrashes back in the 90's.

The big difference between North Bay and Gagetown is ones primary function is to train the other is to control Aircraft across North America, every try to get into an airport control tower, well its kinda likt that with PMS to get into the NORAD centre in NB, Gagetown although they house 2 RCR (/and shorty the 2 RCR composite battlegroup) the main occupants are all of the schools in CTC. The threat in Oromocto is negligable to non-existant at best so there is no need for WWII Draconian style security, in places like Esquimalt where the dockyard houses all of our ships which are most vulnerable alongside the requirement for Armed sentries and not so routine patrols is much higher.  But this accident doesn't seem like an attack or probe of any type, either that or it was a piss poor one

Shared IAW fair dealings from the Globeandmail.com

CFB ESQUIMALT

Military touts safety after crash turns fatal near base
Motorist sped past lone security guard
BRENNAN CLARKE

Special to The Globe and Mail

August 15, 2008

VICTORIA -- Officials with CFB Esquimalt say there's no need for beefed-up security after a bizarre car crash early yesterday in which a vehicle sped past a security checkpoint and plunged into the ocean, killing one person and leaving another in critical condition.

"The existing measures currently in force at CFB Esquimalt are considered adequate and appropriate for the current security climate," said Commander Tim Howard, head of port operations and emergency services.

"The motor vehicle incident of last night has not changed our security posture in any way."

The incident occurred around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, when a private vehicle roared past a lone security guard stationed in a hut at the base's Naden entrance and sped toward a T-intersection bordering Esquimalt Harbour.

The vehicle hurtled through the intersection, shearing an 18-inch concrete barrier in two before plunging down a rocky five-metre embankment into the ocean. There were no skid marks at the scene.

In a statement issued yesterday, the base public affairs office said the deceased, a woman, has been identified, but her name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The other victim, a man, cannot be named due to privacy-act restrictions, the statement said, adding that there is no military or DND connection with either the occupants or the incident itself.

Still, the crash is being probed by the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service, an independent arm of the military specializing "in serious or sensitive service and criminal offences against property, persons, and the Department of National Defence," according to its website.

The agency was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Sub-Lieutenant Michael McWhinney, spokesman for base public affairs, said the Naden portion of CFB Esquimalt - used mainly for accommodations, office buildings, recreation facilities and other non-military functions - is considered an "open" base.

"There's no barrier or physical impediments to coming on the base. It's sort of a voluntary checkpoint. People are just asked to show I.D. at the gate," SLt. McWhinney said.

The Naden security gate is equipped with a wooden barricade that is often left in the raised position, as it was at the time of the incident, he said.

The entrance also features a set of chain link gates that are customarily left open.

However, SLt. McWhinney stressed that any sensitive military activities on the base, including the docking and repair of navy ships, take place in the nearby Dockyard area of CFB Esquimalt, which has tighter security measures.

"The Dockyard portion is not an open base," he said.

Wednesday's crash occurred less than 500 metres from HMCS Brandon, a Kingston-class defence vessel docked across the bay from the Naden entrance.

CFB Esquimalt, Canada's second-largest military base, serves as headquarters for Canada's Pacific naval fleet and employs an estimated 6,000 military and civilian personnel at several locations in Greater Victoria.

Nope...no murder nor a conspiracy imagine that.....just a regular tragic fatal car accident.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Nope...no murder nor a conspiracy imagine that.....just a regular tragic fatal car accident.

Mulder and Scully say different.  Clearly, you're not in the loop.

Shhhhh, we can let anyone know they are in the province shooting more X-Files re-runs. (I know it doesn't make sense, but neither does the conspiracy theory)

How's the tin hat doing?

Chapeski said:
How's the tin hat doing?

It's Friday night.  I fashioned mine into an ale-horn.

Back on topic.  People outside the security profession have to realize that doing physical security right is expensive in terms of personnel, infrastructure and technology.  Those who advocate that we (the CF) should protect everything as tightly as possible are not the ones who have to pay for it, or go in/out through it to do our jobs.

Haggis said:
It's Friday night.  I fashioned mine into an ale-horn.

Back on topic.  People outside the security profession have to realize that doing physical security right is expensive in terms of personnel, infrastructure and technology.  Those who advocate that we (the CF) should protect everything as tightly as possible are not the ones who have to pay for it, or go in/out through it to do our jobs.

Not quite - they do pay for it as tax payers.  However, they get irate when they find out how much is required, yell for and then pay for, a Royal Commission to find out why, which then in turn reccommends that further money be spent - building a totally new facility that can be easily secured by unarmed Commissionaires...etc ad nauseum.

MM

To clear some things up,
Her name was Steff Hendel and she was my best friend. Nobody killed her and dumped her body. She was out driving with a friend. She was not a terrorist, had no intent to prove she could breach security, and all the other nonsense. She was simply a 22 year old girl who had way too much fun.
Yes, there is a concrete wall as somebody mentioned.. and her car plowed through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back