• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Budget 2024 megathread

Correct me if Im wrong but the Federal government isnt regulating anything here just trying to bribe municipalities to incentivize building.
If they are demanding that cities build four plexes where they say to build them or no money for you, that's regulation.
Giving a city money to build what they have decided is best for them, and building them where the city needs them, that's incentivizing.

If they are demanding that cities build four plexes where they say to build them or no money for you. That's regulation.
Giving a city money to build what they have decided is best for them, and building them where the city needs them, that's incentivizing.
may be picking fly shit from the pepper here but i dont think so. The regulation is still up to the municipality/County-region/Province.

If they are demanding that cities build four plexes where they say to build them or no money for you, that's regulation.
No it’s not. Regulation is written, enforceable rules enabled by a statute, generally with some sanction/punishment for not doing it.

No, if it doesn’t achieve your specific policy objective, that’s simply largesse. In your example it could simply further contribute to suburban sprawl. Incentivizing means you have some policy objective you want but that you cannot compel because it’s out of your legal jurisdiction to legislate or regulate it. You offer funding contingent on certain criteria being met. In this case it sounds like the incentive is to densify within existing urban areas and to add residential capacity within close distance of existing commerce, jobs, and public transportation infrastructure. If the city chooses not to take part, they aren’t being deprived of anything they would otherwise have had.

They are demanding that cities build four plexes where they say to build them. That's regulation.
No they are not. They are demanding that cities not get in the way of people that want to build 4plexes where they have the space to do so. Federal money contingent on reducing red tape and cutting through the gatekeeping. Sounds familiar...

No it’s not. Regulation is written, enforceable rules enabled by a statute, generally with some sanction/punishment for not doing it.

No, if it doesn’t achieve your specific policy objective, that’s simply largesse. In your example it could simply further contribute to suburban sprawl. Incentivizing means you have some policy objective you want but that you cannot compel because it’s out of your legal jurisdiction to legislate or regulate it. You offer funding contingent on certain criteria being met. In this case it sounds like the incentive is to densify within existing urban areas and to add residential capacity within close distance of existing commerce, jobs, and public transportation infrastructure. If the city chooses not to take part, they aren’t being deprived of anything they would otherwise have had.
I was trying to speak more broadly. Not adhere to legalize, dictionary explanations. But I'll concede your point.😉

Also, repurposing commercial strongly suggests we don’t have much of a future economy with commerce and industry declining.
Depends on the kind. Office towers are difficult to repurpose, and high vacancy is a sign of decline. Complete replacement of street-level single story commercial or older two- and three-story residential over commercial is probably a sign of growth. Some cities charge property taxes based on best-use of commercial property, which is more than the older model can support in some neighbourhoods.

No they are not. They are demanding that cities not get in the way of people that want to build 4plexes where they have the space to do so. Federal money contingent on reducing red tape and cutting through the gatekeeping. Sounds familiar...
Potato, pahtoto.

Of course, why didn't I ever imagine that they'd do something like this...

Liberal government turning to influencers to get message to young Canadians​

Social media stars were invited to budget lockup last week in bid to reach voters online

Mathu and Gordon — Steph & Den, as they’re known online — were among several content creators invited to Tuesday’s federal budget lockup, where they got early access to Ottawa’s new spending blueprint.

It’s an invitation typically reserved for experts, stakeholders and mainstream media. But the federal Liberals are embracing influencers as they seek to win back disillusioned millennials, gen-Z voters and others who consume information through social media.

“They are seeing we are building this audience and they want to tap into that,” said Gordon, 27.

Steph & Den has a target audience of 18- to 34-year-olds and 750,000 followers across multiple platforms. That includes TikTok, a popular video app that has been banned on federal government devices under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over privacy and cybersecurity concerns.

“They realize that a lot of young people do not watch the news anymore. They don’t consume traditional media,” said Reni Odetoyinbo, 27, who was invited to attend the last two federal budgets by the finance minister’s office.

“Especially for people my age. This is their main source of news.”

Neither the office of Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland nor the Prime Minister’s Office were willing to answer questions about the strategy.

would you agree to calling it bribery?
An overt, public, and legislatively enabled offer of government to government funding assistance should the receiving government choose to act lawfully, within its established regulatory authority, to advance a policy option the higher level of government wishes to incentivize?

If he called that ‘bribery’ he’d look pretty stupid.

Of course, why didn't I ever imagine that they'd do something like this...

Liberal government turning to influencers to get message to young Canadians​

Social media stars were invited to budget lockup last week in bid to reach voters online

Mathu and Gordon — Steph & Den, as they’re known online — were among several content creators invited to Tuesday’s federal budget lockup, where they got early access to Ottawa’s new spending blueprint.

It’s an invitation typically reserved for experts, stakeholders and mainstream media. But the federal Liberals are embracing influencers as they seek to win back disillusioned millennials, gen-Z voters and others who consume information through social media.

“They are seeing we are building this audience and they want to tap into that,” said Gordon, 27.

Steph & Den has a target audience of 18- to 34-year-olds and 750,000 followers across multiple platforms. That includes TikTok, a popular video app that has been banned on federal government devices under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over privacy and cybersecurity concerns.

“They realize that a lot of young people do not watch the news anymore. They don’t consume traditional media,” said Reni Odetoyinbo, 27, who was invited to attend the last two federal budgets by the finance minister’s office.

“Especially for people my age. This is their main source of news.”

Neither the office of Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland nor the Prime Minister’s Office were willing to answer questions about the strategy.

Seem logical, that's the demographic they are losing.

I mean I recently had a conversation, where I was on receive for most of it, about the Israel issue, and the place the young lady was getting her info was TikTok...

Seem logical, that's the demographic they are losing.

I mean I recently had a conversation, where I was on receive for most of it, about the Israel issue, and the place the young lady was getting her info was TikTok...
The next election will probably be our first real one where social media will be an important battle space. Influencing the influencers is a good move. PP has the initiative in the social media world right now but I’m not shocked that his opponents would try and catch up.

We don't live in Europe or Asia.

You want housing in commercial/ retail spaces? Be prepared to pay commercial/ retail prices for it.
In every small town I have lived in, the main streets are filled with, guess what? First floor commercial spaces with apartments over top. And these are all buildings dating back to the 40s and 50s, if not earlier.

We are also broad brushing a lot of these affordability issues with a broad brush. Are the medium to small urban areas suffering from the same issues? Is finding homes to buy, or land to build on, an issue in Thunder Bay, Fredericton, Quebec City, Kamloops, and Saskatoon? Yes, the majority of Canada's populations don't live there, but are they feeling like their issues don't matter because of "Big City" problems?

Is finding homes to buy, or land to build on, an issue in Thunder Bay, Fredericton, Quebec City, Kamloops, and Saskatoon?

Some sweet deals out there. Saskatoon came in at #5.

January 25, 2024

10 Cheapest Places To Buy a House in Canada in 2024​

1713806488037.png

Depends on the kind. Office towers are difficult to repurpose, and high vacancy is a sign of decline. Complete replacement of street-level single story commercial or older two- and three-story residential over commercial is probably a sign of growth. Some cities charge property taxes based on best-use of commercial property, which is more than the older model can support in some neighbourhoods.
Almost all cities charge a business a significant amount more in taxes and fees for everything than they do for residential. My friend ran a internet business out of a small warehouse in North Van. He had himself and two other employees, his sewer bill was 4 times that of his house in the same area and there were 6 people living in the house.

Almost all cities charge a business a significant amount more in taxes and fees for everything than they do for residential. My friend ran a internet business out of a small warehouse in North Van. He had himself and two other employees, his sewer bill was 4 times that of his house in the same area and there were 6 people living in the house.
It's not the difference between residential and commercial. They charge commercial taxes as if there was more on the property. In some cases, owners are charged for the "air" above the building.

Almost all cities charge a business a significant amount more in taxes and fees for everything than they do for residential.

And the businesses pass that on to their customers. ;)

the lion king disney GIF

Back