• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fighting & Winning The Global War on Terror (WW IV)

Infanteer said:
So, what's your thesis?

Haha. How many military personnel can a gal offend?

My thesis will be reworked through the wee hours of the morning, I fear. There's so much ground to cover that I'm beginning to lose myself in piles of books...

I disagree with the both the conduct and reasoning behind the war. I believe that fear has been, and continues to be entrenched into the minds of millions, in an effort to mask a hidden agenda, and I also believe that the citizens of America have given extended meaning to the phrase: "Ignorance is Bliss." I think that the United States perpetuates more global terrorism than could ever be received, and I remain skeptical of the course of the world, over the next few years. When the Star Wars Campaign, under the leadership of the United States, shifts into gear, I beg Canada to live up to the ideals of democracy, empower the people, and stay out of it. I plan to forward my paper to various institutions within Canada, and keep tally of how many turn a blind eye to me.

What's your thesis?

Mine is pretty simple....any defensive weapon that works is better than another offensive weapon in the world.

Don't you like peace?

MissMolsonIndy said:
Haha. How many military personnel can a gal offend?

My thesis will be reworked through the wee hours of the morning, I fear. There's so much ground to cover that I'm beginning to lose myself in piles of books...

I disagree with the both the conduct and reasoning behind the war. I believe that fear has been, and continues to be entrenched into the minds of millions, in an effort to mask a hidden agenda, and I also believe that the citizens of America have given extended meaning to the phrase: "Ignorance is Bliss." I think that the United States perpetuates more global terrorism than could ever be received, and I remain skeptical of the course of the world, over the next few years. When the Star Wars Campaign, under the leadership of the United States, shifts into gear, I beg Canada to live up to the ideals of democracy, empower the people, and stay out of it. I plan to forward my paper to various institutions within Canada, and keep tally of how many turn a blind eye to me.

What's your thesis?

It's easy to disagree with things you don't understand, though....I think Ignorance is Bliss is far more applicable to Canadians than Americans.  I remain skeptical of the course of our country over the next few years.  I hope we play a large role in Star Wars, just as we did in Cruise Missile testing.  When are you going to email me already? ;-)

MissMolsonIndy said:

Too long.

Your thesis should be a one sentence statement.

But your statement sure looks like the usual university bafflegab (US are terroristsm, hidden agenda, etc, etc).  What class is this for, anyways?  Seeing how I'm a Poli Sci grad from UBC, I've probably taken it before.

Sorry for the delay in answering re: the Amnesty information: here is a link you might find helpful to support your work:  http://www.amnesty.ca/resource_centre/backgrounders.php . Cheers.

I find this thread very interesting and indicative of North American politics today.  I thought I would add a twist away from the student/thesis angle we are working now.....so here goes.....

Miss MolsenIndy wrote:  "I disagree with the both the conduct and reasoning behind the war. I believe that fear has been, and continues to be entrenched into the minds of millions, in an effort to mask a hidden agenda, and I also believe that the citizens of America have given extended meaning to the phrase: "Ignorance is Bliss." I think that the United States perpetuates more global terrorism than could ever be received, and I remain skeptical of the course of the world, over the next few years. When the Star Wars Campaign, under the leadership of the United States, shifts into gear, I beg Canada to live up to the ideals of democracy, empower the people, and stay out of it. I plan to forward my paper to various institutions within Canada, and keep tally of how many turn a blind eye to me."

I am a professional soldier and I have served overseas on a number of operations.  I have a right of centre bias by virtue of my career.   ;D  I have my opinions on the war in Iraq but I think there is an overriding issue here.  Where does Canada fit in the world?  We as Canadians don't know and are struggling to figure out our place.  It is at times a polarizing discussion.  In some cases we want to be with the big boys and project military power and have seats at the big tables.  In some other cases we don't and don't even want to talk about what is happening.  We claim to hold high moral principles but often let them fall if it is not convenient or we are politically distracted.  We hold the myth of "peacekeeping" as our own invention but often don't do as much as we could in the world.  Or should we be sending our troops overseas at all?  We critic the US on its foreign policy when we lack a definable foreign policy.  We lack the means to control our own borders and are selling off all our over snow military vehicles.  Should we not have our own borders secure?  We often fail to make the hard calls, often not taking a decision being our response to crisis in the world.  Our parliament is ineffective in representing the people outside of party lines.  To be critical of ourselves, should we not have our house in order before we start criticizing another country?  We put 1000 troops every six months in Bosnia for almost 10 years but won't do the same for other countries in more need.  We don't seem to be very consistant in our concern for the needy.  We didn't start the war in Afghanistan, Bosnia, and Croatia, but we sent troops to those countries.  We sent them to protect the innocent and help the people rebuild.  Why are we not sending troops to Haiti, a number of countries in Africa, or Iraq?  Are the people in Iraq less worthy of our support because we don't like the politics that started it?  If our principles and moral values say we should help the less fortunate then why are we not doing that?  If we are not interested in sending troops to rebuild other countries in need, how do we provide continued support to the needy?  How do we value which country is more deserving of our support?  Should we disband the military as it stands now and rebuild it into something conducive to our values and principles?  How do we define our values and principles?  Are our values and principles sufficient to form the basis of our foreign policy and defence policy.  Will these values and principles guide us through the challenges of the future?  It is very complex and full of political pitfalls, not to mention the emotional issues associated with this polarizing debate.  

I think it is a complete waste of your energies to argue the war.  The war has happened, you can not change that, nor can Canadians.  It is here and now, it is a question of what the future holds for Iraq.  If your concern is Canadian values, should there not be a more lively debate on how we can help the people of Iraq?  If the answer is we don't want to help them because we disagree with the US on their reasoning for the war...I would argue our principles, our compassion for those who need help in rebuilding their lives is secondary to politics and the decision to go to war, and not to our desire to do the right thing for the people of Iraq.  If that is so then we must accept that are value and principles are not firm but guided by politics and emotion.  It is hard for us to stand up and demand action when we ourselves are unwilling or incapable.  Our inaction in Rwanda and Sudan speaks volumes.  

I would like to see a clear foreign policy and a clear articulation of our "values".  I would like to see us remain fast to our principles as we see them.  If Canada decides it wants to be a sovereign nation and do what is in the best interest of Canada, we should also be aware the US will likely do the same.  The US can decide not to buy our beef or close the borders to other goods or not allow a US company to operate in Canada.  It is all part of the big game.  If we decide we don't want to participate in Missile Defence, no worries, just don't be surprised when the US asks us to leave the room in NORAD when they have a meeting or say no when we request support or better yet develop some defence plan that will effect Canada and we don't have a chance to discuss it.  We often like to have our cake and eat it to.  The question is where does US interests stop and Canadian interests start?  In terms of our active involvement in the world, if we decided that we would only send teams like the DART to the world hot spots, we could do that very well and focus on the task.  Right now we have to run around and train to do everything with no foreign policy to guide our defence policy.  

I think we think too highly of ourselves and often place ourselves on a moral high ground when it comes to the US.  Our actions and inactions on issues and our lack of a concrete foreign policy makes us very inconsistent in our role in the world.  For example, aggressor in Afghanistan during Operation Apollo on one hand, then three months later, "Peacekeeper" the next during Operation Athena.  How about a thesis on Canadian Foreign policy and the lack there of?  Or how we should hold our principles and value (whatever they are) over politics when it comes to foreign policy and foreign aid?

That all being said.  If you would like to chat for your interviews to discuss my personal opinions and not that of a member of the CF, please feel free to drop me a line.  Cheers

Jeff

Great post morpheus - a better description I have not seen, of the elephant that is firmly planted in the center of the living room....

MissMolsonIndy said:
I am a young, political science student, and I am in the midst of conducting research for an academic paper. My area of focus is the justification and conduct of the 'war on terrorism', comparing and contrasting the issue through the lens of Canada and the United States.
MissMolsonIndy said:
I disagree with the both the conduct and reasoning behind the war.

I'm for the "War on Terror."   I'm all for hunting down Osama bin Laden & his type.   I fully support taking out organizations that would take hostage a public school on its first day of classes & kill hundreds of children.   I believe in targeting those groups who would support such activities.   I cannot imagine that you are against any of this . . .

Perhaps you do not agree with the invasion of Iraq and the persuit of an "axis of evil."   But, you will note that the Canadian war does not include this.

So, do you really disagree with the War on Terror or do you maybe object to it being used for tangential objectives?   Give us a little more, what conduct & reasoning specifically do you disagree with?

:dontpanic:

Something tells me your Poli-Sci professor wouldn't like my views on the War On Terrorism.  Or for that matter my view on reality.
Not sure your ready for reality as of yet, enjoy your innocence for a while longer.  No insult meant, it's just I'm not sure a student can truly understand.

I'm sure the things me and my other former Marines talk about would shock you.  And the stuff we don't even talk about with each other would give you nightmares.

But good luck on that paper!  Tons more eloquent people on this forum can provide plenty of help.

Join. See for yourself, live and in colour, 24/7. :salute:

Seriously, the previous posters have had a world of experience. Get some of it for yourself. It may help you to understand some of it.

Changes in the Bush cabinet could lead to some interesting changes in tactics and possibly strategy. General Powell's departure from State and his pending replacement by Dr Rice should move things along, since the good Dr is not considered a "moderate"...

Rice's appointment may be more political than strategic (i.e., to set her up for a run at the VP or Presidency in 2008) ... nonetheless she is definitely more of a hawk than Powell has no trouble having her voice heard in the admin.

WRT the issue of Arabs and Islamofascism, the (relative) peace enjoyed by the Jordanians suggests that one can be a "good muslim" without a semtex vest!

I suspect it is a little of both; politically strategic? Setting her up for presidency may be a longer term strategic measure to ensure the war aims are continued past the next four years.

What about Powell running for the Republican nomination in 2008? I have always liked him, ever since the Iraq war of '91.

I read somewhere that Powell's wife vetoed that idea; apparently, she's scared to death that he might be assassinated.

And apparently many Republicans are already looking at Rudy Giuliani as their next candidate.

However, I have to say that the idea of a Powell - Rice Republican ticket is VERY intriguing. Not one, but TWO African-American faces on the ballot. And such a ticket would probably satisfy both moderates and hawks in Republican lines....

Versus Hillary Clinton? They'd have a chance.

As the US has only ever had white men as presidents, now that would be an interesting race.... 

I think there's 2 reasons why a Powel-Rice ticket wouldn't work:

Rice & Powell are both Republicans, yes, but within that framework, they are on opposite ends of the spectrum- Powel more centre-right and Diplomacy oriented, Rice more ultra-right and more inclined to favor unilateral or military action.

As well, I 'm not sure the GOP wants to risk alienating some less than enlightened supporters by having an All-Black ticket. Sad as it is, I think that the hit it will cause in the ballot box, as slight as it might be, couild be mean that Hillary becomes the next President.

Shudders.

Who's under the desk in the Oval Office then, eh?

Back