• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Firearms and pregnancy

Civvymedic

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some information for a friend who is pregnant and looking at the risks involved with shooting and pregnancy.

She routinely uses firearms in her trade. I have not been able to find a lot of good information on this topic so I thought I would also try here.

Specifically: Risks involved with lead rounds, concussive force and noise. Also if there is a risk is it greater after a certain gestation and what if any practices does the Military put into place for pregnant members in regards to range time.

We are talking in this case about the use of .223/5.56, .40cal and 12 gauge shot. Frangible indoors and lead outdoors.

Thanks for any advice that could be shared.

Civvymedic said:
I'm looking for some information for a friend who is pregnant and looking at the risks involved with shooting and pregnancy.

Some here,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=firearms+pregnant&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=PsNQVeurHoeN8Qf-v4DgBQ&gws_rd=ssl#rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&q=firearms++pregnant

".223/5.56, .40cal and 12 gauge shot"

Different calibre, but general advice/opinions regarding shooting while pregnant,

9 mm training while pregnant 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/44171.0;nowap

As soon as the member reports to the MIR regarding a pregnancy, she will be put on a TCAT (Temporary medical category) that has a list of MELs (Medical Employment Limitations) a page long. Its surprising they are allowed to breath. On that list includes a prohibition from using firearms.

Civvymedic said:
We are talking in this case about the use of .223/5.56, .40cal and 12 gauge shot. Frangible indoors and lead outdoors.

Interesting.

.40 cal and frangible ammo isn't too common that's all.

Plus I'm jealous someone is in a trade where they get to shoot regularly,  I should have joined it instead of the infantry  ;D

Jarnhamar said:
.40 cal and frangible ammo isn't too common that's all.

I'm sure there are others but from what I've heard it mostly "those who shall not be named" and the MPs that use either of those.

Back