• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flying oversas, laptops and liquids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I have two questions regarding soldiers flying overseas.

1)  With regards to the new security measures we're seeing all over the news, does this no liquid/lipbalm/toothpaste rule effect military flights as well?
If security is a concern over this question (though I doubt it should be) a M would be appriciated.

2) Laptops. Flying out to alberta we were not allowed any pouches attached to our small packs AND we had to have our laptops packed inside.  Obviously a laptop with case is going to cut down on space in your small pack. When flying overseas are soldiers still required to put their laptops inside their small pack or are we allowed to hand carry them like a breif case or whatever?  I don't really trust putting mine in my accompanied baggage

Cheers

normal air traffic rules apply to soldiers as well as civilians.

If you want to take to laptop, etc, it will have to go into your baggage. if you are using a barracks box, its hard cased and lockable. Just wrap your laptop up in bubble wrap or with a twoel or something. It will be okay.

I think the days of 7kg carry-ons are coming to an end.

And whats stopping a terr from placing 'something bad' into his/her baggage (or their child's baggage), and having it detonate in the hold? Nothing, thats what. At the end of the day, the cowards will develope counter-measures to any security measure we devise.

Wes

Flawed Design said:
2) Laptops. Flying out to alberta we were not allowed any pouches attached to our small packs AND we had to have our laptops packed inside.  Obviously a laptop with case is going to cut down on space in your small pack. When flying overseas are soldiers still required to put their laptops inside their small pack or are we allowed to hand carry them like a breif case or whatever?  I don't really trust putting mine in my accompanied baggage

I just flew out of Orlando Int and people were allowed laptops, cell phones etc. It seems strange to me that the Canadian government is putting tougher restrictions than the American government.

According to Transport Canada's Media Advisory there is nothing about laptops not being allowed for carry on.

Transport Canada today announced a modification to the list of prohibited items announced on August 10, 2006.

The following security measure will be in place until further notice:

Effective at 0300 hours E.S.T. on August 13, 2006, for all flights departing Canada, passengers will no longer be permitted to bring onboard juice or aerosols in containers of any size. 
Passengers may continue to bring aboard baby formula or breast milk if a baby or small child is travelling. Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket, insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines are allowed.

Liquids or gels in containers of any size include: beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, toothpaste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency. Aerosols include: hairsprays and deodorant. Passengers should pack liquids, gels or aerosols in checked baggage.

The Government of Canada remains committed to taking all measures necessary to protect the safety and security of Canadians.

When I flew on a civilian flight I seem to remember being allowed a backpack for carry on and we were allowed to hand carry a laptop too.
With the military however your laptop. while allowed as carry on,  HAS to be INSIDE your small pack which obviously reduces the spavce so that was the main question, I was just wondering if were still doing that. I think to avoid the headache I'll do like Wes suggested and just stick it in my barracks box and hop for the best.

I managed to fit my laptop inside a pelican case inside my small-pack on my flight out to Afghanistan last summer, the same deal with only being allowed one piece of carry on and the laptop having to be inside of that. There wasn't much space for anything else, but there was a little bit of room. In the end, I think the only thing that saved my laptop on the Herc hop into Kandahar was that pelican case, since I swear my small-pack was on the bottom of the pallette every single hop. In the way back, I said "screw it" and put my laptop in my barracks box (still inside the pelican case). This was partially motivated by the fact that it had died 2 weeks before the end of my tour, and partially because I knew I wouldn't be using it on decompression and the flight back.

I the moral of the story is that I like pelican cases.. They keep all my delicate electronics nice and safe, no matter how rough I am with them. Including banging it around in an over-stuffed carry on  while flying to Afghanistan.

It all boils down to one thing, if your going civie air and you want to get where your going, you'll do as they say. If your going military, you'll do as they say. I don't see the problem. Adapt and overcome.

Alot of this carry on stuff has been right in the front of my mind with my departure to St Jean coming next Sunday.

Easiest thing to do, put everything into your checked luggage and only carry what you absolutely must have access too during the flight.
I am planning on carrying on my paper work and my ID, that's it...no purse, no backpack, nothing. Too much hassle and when you get someone bringing on a backpack, and security want to check it, well, then you are taking up valuable time.

Do everyone a favor and bring as little in your carry on as possible...or not even bother with the carry on at all.

*edited for horrible spelling.

If your not sure, call the airport and ask. Anything you get here is idle speculation and could land you bent over and holding your ankles. Don't know? Ask the proper authourity................And that's not here. ;)

Don't know? Ask the proper authourity................And that's not here.

Fair enough, RE the laptop I figured comming here and asking someone who has either just went to a-stan or got back would be in the know enough to answer heh.

Roko, so going over there with a *working* laptop (and taking into consideration the ride to KAF, would you reccomend someone squeeze it in their small pack or put it in a hard case then in the barracks box?

Flawed Design said:
Fair enough, RE the laptop I figured comming here and asking someone who has either just went to a-stan or got back would be in the know enough to answer heh.

Things change by the minute nowdays. What worked yesterday, doesn't today. Call ahead.................heh.

paracowboy said:
normal air traffic rules apply to soldiers as well as civilians.

Sure if they fly on civilian flights.

But what about the Airbus to overseas?

Best to inquire thru your chain of command, so they answer that question prior to your departure. Personally, I can't see the no liquids, as one of the common items on the carry on packing list is your shaving kit when you go over on tour.

I have been told by people who have taken domestic flights within the last few days that there is currently no electronics restriction.

As for cases, you could get a padded hard shell case, hey are usually only 1/4-1" thicker than the laptop itself. Init, Targus and Kensington make quality covers.
For something with even more protection, as someone mentioned earlier, Pelican cases are a little on the pricey side, but they will give you a damn near indestructible shell, that is waterproof to boot. Probably the only way I would take it in soft sided luggage.

Armymedic said:
But what about the Airbus to overseas?
you mean the one where we go through Customs, with attendant rules, before we board?

paracowboy said:
you mean the one where we go through Customs, with attendant rules, before we board?

Yes. But we only go thru customs when we return from tour.

Customs and security are two different issues and shouldn't be confused.  The thing to remember is your carry on will be ratched to a pallet when you get on the hurc so if you don't need it for the flight than don't put it in your carryon.

Okay, I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I've gotten on an Airbus, the same rules and regs applied to me as when I boarded Air Scamada, WestJet, or Scare Air. No cell phones, no knives, no this, that, or the other thing.

What Spring_bok and paracowboy said.  I always thought traffic techs at some places were a bit overboard in their restricted items searches, but I guess not anymore.

Some more information:

O R 142049Z AUG 06
FM 1 CDN AIR DIV HQ WINNIPEG
TO AIG 1707
BT
UNCLAS A4 MOV 809 003
SUBJ:  ENHANCED CHECK IN SCREENING REQUIREMENTS
REFS:  A.  1 CDN AIR DIV ORDER VOL 3, 3-204
1.  TRANSPORT CANADA (TC) HAS DIRECTED THE CANADIAN AIR TRANSPORT
SECURITY AUTHORITY (CATSA) ENSURE SCREENING AUTHORITIES PREVENT
PASSENGERS IN POSSESSION OF LIQUIDS, GELS, OR AEROSOLS, EXCEPT BABY
FORMULA OR BREAST MILK IF AN INFANT IS TRAVELLING, PRESCRIPTION
MEDICINE WITH A NAME THAT MATCHES THE PASSENGERS BOARDING PASS,
INSULIN, AND OTHER ESSENTIAL NON-PRESRIPTION MEDICINES, FROM PASSING
BEYOND A SCREENING CHECKPOINT. LIQUIDS AND GELS INCLUDE BEVERAGES,
SHAMPOO, SUNTAN LOTION, CREAMS, TOOTHPASTE, HAIR GEL, AND OTHER
ITEMS OF SIMILAR CONSISTENCY.
2.TC FURTHER DIRECTED CATSA THAT FLIGHTS DEPARTING CANADA
DESTINED FOR THE UNITED STATES SHALL ENSURE THAT ALL PASSENGER
FOOTWEAR IS REMOVED AND X-RAYED. FOOTWEAR OF PASSENGERS WITH
DISABILITIES OR UNABLE TO BE REMOVED MAY BE SUBJECT TO TRACE
PAGE 2 RCWBMBA0013 UNCLAS
DETECTION EQUIPMENT IN LIEU OF REMOVING THEIR FOOTWEAR.
3.THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR 1 CDN AIR DIV CONTROLLED
PASSENGER TERMINALS TO MATCH THESE STRINGENT REQUIREMENTS AT THIS
TIME FOR FLIGHTS SUPPORTING DEPLOYED OPERATIONS OR OPERATING EITHER
INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE ATS AS DEFINED IN REF A, UNLESS THESE FLIGHTS
UTILIZE COMMERCIAL MAIN TERMINAL BULDINGS (MTBS) FACILITIES.
4.AIRCRAFT COMMANDERS SHALL ENSURE THAT WHEN STERILE AREAS OF
MTBS ARE UTILIZED ON A STOPOVER, NO PASSENGER SHALL DEPLANE WITH ANY
BANNED SUBSTANCE LISTED ABOVE IN HIS OR HER POSSESSION.
5.ALL CREW AND PASSENGERS WHO ENTER A SECURE/STERILE AREA IN A
MTB MUST FULLY COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE SCREENING RULES AND
REGULATIONS IN FORCE AT THAT LOCATION.
BT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back