• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For all you retired NWTs and Etechs... Got work???

SharkSlayer7.62

Inactive
Reaction score
I thought I would start a new thread with this instead of hijacking Carlos' thread on starting off as an NWT.

Here I am starting my career as an E-Tech, I am on my fives now, and I got thinking about what is available when you cross the line onto civy street. I know what the trades outline on the recruiting site can tend be a bit exaggerated so I am posing the question, "What are the retired NWT and Etech guys up to?" Will civilian employers want to hire ex-military? But really are there many ex NWTs or Etechs who read this site?

Thanks!
JohnPeter

I've been trying to reach someone who is an NWT, however, i haven't been able to find any, i was also curious about the same thing, even though the pension would be more than able to satisfy my money woes,

This should be rather easy, contact the school in Halifax I am sure someone will answer your question. But if you are so focused on what you are going to be doing when you get out, then you don't sound all that focused on the now and that's where your head has to be.

Contact the BPSO - they have lists of equivalencies you can be granted foryour training and experience.

However, I would concur that your main focus should be on your current training, and the experience that will follow.  Those are what will make you an attractve candiate in the workforce when you do decide to leave.

Friend of mine (NE Tech) is refurbishing gyros in Alberta now....

Not that it really has much to do with my current focus, I am doing rather well on my technical training (top of the class remind you). It is just a mere curiosity as to what others are doing. I started working on civy street as an industrial electrician, and realistic as it is, I intend to finish working on civy street but perhaps in some other vocation. I am a man of options and I like to know them all. I cannot be blamed for looking out for myself; you know, somebody has to.

As an NWT, you'll get training in various types of fluid power, electronic, pneumatic systems, plus you'll have the whole suite of engineering stuff that you'll get as your MCR package, plus computers, etc etc etc.

Depending on what outside job you want, you can write a different resume to target the skillset that they seem to need.

My resume is over 4 pages and counting.  When the time comes to apply for a job outside (6 years) I'll just delete or shorten the parts that don't apply so I have a nice tidy 2 pager to submit for whichever job I'm after.

NS

Back