• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces Halts Soldiers' UNMARKED Care Packages

It would make far more sense for the CF to announce in Aug/Sept that the cutoff date for shipping to Afghanistan for Christmas deliver is XXX month....then ship them by container....everything else is not guaranteed....Canada Post does it every year.

GAP said:
I would make far more sense for the CF to announce in Aug/Sept that the cutoff date for shipping to Afghanistan for Christmas deliver is XXX month....then ship them by container....everything else is not guaranteed....Canada Post does it every year.

But, we are talking about packages from strangers. Done with good intentions and a good heart I'm sure, but strangers never-the-less. They've never been allowed due to our extremely limited space and budget, but now all of a sudden we've found money to hire container ship room for these?? That's due to the media pressure -- nothing more. And this latest flip-flop opens the doors for it to occur again ... as I said -- possibly at the expensive of packages from family and loved ones, or (Gawd forbid) mission essential equipment.

Vern,
I still think that these groups who adopt specific soldiers have, to an extent, become family.... (and you can never have too many family members offering you support).
Having specific people to send to would also result in your editing your "care packages" - cause it's been said before... size doesn't matter ;)

I'd agree with your sentiments on the "family" bit ... it still doesn't change the fact that, given the CFs current predicament re cargo space and budgets, that actual family should take priority.

Like I said, maybe it's just me though.

Edited to add:

AND every week, stuff is left in Trenton because there isn't room for it. So this latest DOES detract and delay the shipment of things that should be going ...

Huh... I thought they said that all these parcels are going via SEACAN to Pakistan and then by road to our troops...

geo said:
Huh... I thought they said that all these parcels are going via SEACAN to Pakistan and then by road to our troops...

Hmmm, they did. Hmmm .... who's paying for that? Yes, I've already said that. And, as I said, we've have stuff that remains in Trenton every flight due to being bumped for lack of space, but all of a sudden we've come up with funds to send this stuff over?? What have we just given up to get it there? Space for kit the troops needed that could have been put into that seacan (now that we seemed to have found funding to ship extras via seacan) and shipped vice bumped off a flight in Trenton to wait a while longer?

Hope that the SEACAN is on Canada post's nickle.... (though I somehow doubt it)

(WRT media flap.....the squeeky wheel gets the grease)

It's a shame that you can't send care packages over unless they are maked for a specific person :(. I was curious if anyone overseas needs/wants anything, I'd be more than happy to send stuff over to you. I have done this in the past, and it was muchly appreciated. If theres anyone reading this that would like something, just message me your adress info and I'll do my best!! ;D ;D

-Shelby

Shelby67 said:
It's a shame that you can't send care packages over unless they are maked for a specific person :(. I was curious if anyone overseas needs/wants anything, I'd be more than happy to send stuff over to you. I have done this in the past, and it was muchly appreciated. If theres anyone reading this that would like something, just message me your adress info and I'll do my best!! ;D ;D

-Shelby

It is a shame, Shelby - but there are reasons for it, as pointed out by others in this thread.

I think your gesture to send parcels over is very generous, and I thank you for it.  Perhaps, however, your philanthropic endeavours may be more gainfully (if less personally) deployed by supporting such efforts as this:  http://www.cfpsa.com/mfamily/

Just a thought - best of the season to you.

I got another request the other day and sent the person to the MFRC in Calgary.  They seemed quite interested, as does the MFRC in Edmonton.  We supporting the troops overseas by supporting our families at home.

Bullshit like this makes me wonder why I, or anyone else, puts so much energy into joining an institution that cares little for its employees.

OberstSteiner said:
Bullshit like this makes me wonder why I, or anyone else, puts so much energy into joining an institution that cares little for its employees.

What are you whining on about now??  Did you actually read the whole thread?

Concur, please calrify your comment.  The army has pissed me off once a day for 27 years but they are still the BEST employer in Canada PERIOD.  No employer would have put up with my antics during my divorce but they did.  No employer would allow me to be the best single parent I could but they did and no employer would have ever made me feel as part of a team as they did.  If you respect the ethos, stay drug free, follow the rules and present a military bearing down to your very soul everytime you have the honour of wearing the uniform of MY army then this you would understand.  That is why my daughter is now part of My army and my next daughter will be. 

When my husband was in Afghanistan, my daughters school wanted to send stuff to soliders there. And because they have limited space to get stuff in the planes, so, what I did was I mailed all 9 big parcels (the guy at the Post office was amazed it all came from a little school of 125 kids) to my huband, with his name, rank, customs form, etc. and when they got to him he talked to his Engineer counterpart with 2CER and then he had all the parcels sent out to the FOBs.  Which is where the kids wanted them to go. So, if she has someone over there I would send all to him.  And then he can send them out or maybe even leave them in Canada House.  I'm sure they would get to someone.  Good Luck, Robin

Good show Engineer wife.... That's the way to do it.

We all have to keep in mind that Engineer's Wife had a personal interest in the collection and preparation of the packages sent on behalf of her daughter's school.  She, in the best interest of her husband and other soldiers, was aware of who was collecting the items, who was reviewing the contents of packages, and who was verifying that everything met current shipping guidelines.  It's that level of care which should be put into every package, and random parcels from unknown strangers doesn't meet that degree of due diligence in safeguarding our soldiers.

OberstSteiner said:

Really? Try any civvy job-any one, just name it- and let me know who treats their people better than we do at equivalent pay levels. Please don't bother us with the priveliges of corporate CEOs-those don't count. And don't just focus on one little aspect in a narrow-minded, selfish "special issue" way. Look at the whole lifestyle, across the board.  Then come on back and talk. I've done this for 33 years now and I've known a lot of civvy folks along the way, employed in all sorts of walks of life, who don't get nearly the deal we do.

Oh--but...if you think of yourself as an "employee" instead of a soldier, then you're probably starting off from the wrong frame of reference to begin with.

Cheers

OberstSteiner said:

You are more than welcome to apply somewhere else and see how they treat you. Your constant whining on here is realy getting old.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
What are you whining on about now??  Did you actually read the whole thread?

Nope he didn't. The clash between the profile and the email addy tell me that.  ;)

Back