• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Foreign Interest in Army.ca

A few years ago one of our specialty sections was receiving test results from a contractor thru a MSN account. I almost lost my cookies when I found out. The guys had been doing it like that for so long they didn't realize what a risk it was.

To explain it to them I took an image off their computer and blew it up so we could see the pixels. Then I said, intelligence gathering is like this image. Each pixel is just one piece of information like the information they were not safeguarding. If someone gets enough of those pixels a picture starts forming. Zooming out they "got the picture".

Needless to say the account was shut immediately and a secure method was quickly established.

It's pretty easy to drop a "pixel" when we're chatting with fellow members.

They aren't here today unless they are real keeners. It's lunar new year and everyone is home with their family. But if you are stuck working 恭禧发财  ;)

Mike Bobbitt said:
.....foreign parties are in fact trolling Army.ca ....
Our adversaries will presume that the CAF is the employer of choice for the indecisive, the illiterate, the self-entitled......and some who are medically unsuitable, but we should take them anyway.

Not sure if this is our best deception plan.    :-\

One single department of the CPC employs 2 million public opinion analysts to monitor the web. It would be hard to find a place on the net where they don't have a presence. Back in the day it was fun to tease them that we lived in an actual communist country and tell them how much people here were paid on welfare or pensions and then throw in what was covered by our state health care. If I was in charge there I'm not sure I would want the troops seeing how much better it is here. The cleanest air, water and food in the world. Pensions, health care, low corruption(in comparison), a free press, decent wages, etc, etc.

Nemo888 said:
One single department of the CPC employs 2 million public opinion analysts to monitor the web. It would be hard to find a place on the net where they don't have a presence. Back in the day it was fun to tease them that we lived in an actual communist country and tell them how much people here were paid on welfare or pensions and then throw in what was covered by our state health care. If I was in charge there I'm not sure I would want the troops seeing how much better it is here. The cleanest air, water and food in the world. Pensions, health care, low corruption(in comparison), a free press, decent wages, etc, etc.

Don't worry.  I am sure all those Chinese tourists and business people who visit here with their cameras and gps have a good grip on our fresh air, natural resources, freedom of the press, Health Care, Welfare, benefits for Refugees, etc.  I am sure any fears of them knowing these things were dispelled decades ago.

Culture counts for a lot. People can see exactly the same data and draw entirely different conclusions from it based on their "cultural" background and biases.

So while the masses of information about Canada and the "West" might make an impression on some or even many of the various on line monitors working for the Chinese government, military and intelligence services, the analysis is filtered and digested by people who are going to see it in a very particular way. This is equally true of Iranian, Russian or even French people monitoring Army.ca.

This is not to say that Infosec can be discounted, simply that what is coming out the other end might look rather strange to us.

You would be surprised how much people can learn from open source intel. We shouldnt give people more then they need.

Yet, Monitor Mass is on an unclass system.  Want to get the whole CAF readiness state? 

SupersonicMax said:
Yet, Monitor Mass is on an unclass system.  Want to get the whole CAF readiness state?

From what I've seen of MM that would be the greatest deception plan since Operation Fortitude.

I've said too much!

AmmoTech90 said:
From what I've seen of MM that would be the greatest deception plan since Operation Fortitude.

I've said too much!

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

Journeyman said:
Mike Bobbitt said:
...foreign parties are in fact trolling Army.ca...

Our adversaries will presume that the CAF is the employer of choice for the indecisive, the illiterate, the self-entitled......and some who are medically unsuitable, but we should take them anyway.

Perhaps the PLA will undertake its own new boot procurement modelled on what it has learned on Army.ca?

An enemy who counts on Monitor Mass for our readiness is more foolish than us counting on Monitor Mass for the same.

Maybe now, but there is a definite push in that direction: from when people are on leave to which qualifications individuals have to their personal readiness.

It is all available now, but not in a centralized place, like MM.

For the very same reasons, aircrews implemented Flight Pro on the Air Force Tactical Network.

You folks will bear the brunt when NDHQ's "Monitor Mass Rocks" guy comes back online ......  :nod:

Journeyman said:
You folks will bear the brunt when NDHQ's "Monitor Mass Rocks" guy comes back online ......  :nod:

Maybe he's a PLA operative trying to get people to post about all the features of Monitor Mass?

Good2Golf said:

Perhaps the PLA will undertake its own new boot procurement modelled on what it has learned on Army.ca?

Well played sir..... :salute:

Excerpt from Sir Humphrey at Thin Pinstriped Line (most of post is about Brits using OSINT including social media):

The #Russians are coming!
The final thought on this is that OSINT is a two way street and that the current and next generation of recruits in the military will perhaps have to learn the hard way that their Facebooks, Twitters, Snapchats and other social media represent a real security risk and intelligence bonanza. Having grown up in a world where social interaction is instantaneous, and sharing one message across a broad spectrum of friends is taken for granted, trying to explain to them that tweeting locations, or messaging about what they are doing on board a vessel can be a dangerous thing to do, is perhaps a very challenging task.  One only has to do a cursory look at most social media sites to find it possible to build a profile of what many Western military units are doing simply by following the Twitter and Facebook profiles. In the 1970s onwards, personal security was about having as anonymous a presence as possible on the streets. Today we need to ensure that our next generation of military personnel understand that this also must translate into as anonymous an online presence as possible when it comes to talking about what their work or unit is doing.

This is perhaps a major cultural challenge facing most Western militaries in trying to explain to a new generation of linked in individuals that careless talk can easily cost lives. Posting when you come alongside and are planning a run ashore, or linking photos of your child’s first day at school to your open account places a huge personal security risk on the individual and their family. The MOD has done an absolutely superb campaign highlighting the risks of too much information sharing online, but it may take some time for people to realise just how much they are giving away. The irony is that people who take their jobs so seriously, and are passionate about protection of classified material at work see nothing inherently wrong in talking online about their units activities or ships forthcoming programme.

The recent news from the Ukraine, where taped conversations between US officials were leaked highlights that the collection threat has not gone away, and that even very high level communications are open to interception. Perhaps more intriguingly, the fact that a foreign Government was willing to sacrifice the particular source, intentionally denying itself future collection from what was presumably a valuable source is very interesting and raises further questions. What is does show though is that the threat has not gone away, and that publicising locations, deployments, expected return dates and information like pictures onboard ship will help hostile powers build a much better picture of intentions, capabilities and help them take actions that may not be in our interests...
http://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.ca/2014/02/the-russians-are-coming.html

Mark
Ottawa

Back