• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

This is like any breaking news story. Initial reports will be incorrect, corrected, amended again, and eventually details will come out.

Generally, it's confusion, not malice. (Not to say that there are not malicious actors out there.)

The difference is Europe has "Police" Forces that are essentially dedicated to crowd control and public order.

These aren't really Police, they are Infantry with Peace Officer status.

I have worked a fair bit with the Carabinieri - in fact visited their HQ in Rome and met with their Commandant. They have a fascinating mandate, and they fulfill the varied roles very professionally.

Perspective is the key word, and that I'd everything. Given the unprecedented nature of this situation, if you think that the cops who Have bodies cameras don't have them on, you are crazy. Remember there will be a parliamentary inquiry after this is over because the EA was invoked, every bit of footage, radio chatted, etc is 110% being logged, and will be archived for later. Both sides can spout as much as they want, but the truth will be found out when the dust settles.

Unless releasing the footage can be considered a threat to national security.

Perspective is the key word, and that I'd everything. Given the unprecedented nature of this situation, if you think that the cops who Have bodies cameras don't have them on, you are crazy. Remember there will be a parliamentary inquiry after this is over because the EA was invoked, every bit of footage, radio chatted, etc is 110% being logged, and will be archived for later. Both sides can spout as much as they want, but the truth will be found out when the dust settles.
I’m with ya! This government has shown a clear, proven track record with regard to investigations, and i see no reason for that not to continue.

I'm also concerned about the amount of issued kit I have seen on the news. Just saw someone wearing an issued gas mask and small pack walk by the camera.
Police or protester? Usually participating in a protest is a come-as-you-are event, but it is possible somebody dropped by a surplus store.

Umar Zameer allegedly killed a Toronto police officer and was released on bail. Conspiracy to commit mischief and I'm assuming a clean record is hardly a reason to deny someone bail.
People get it in their head that interim release ('bail') should be sort of a pre-sentence sentence. The court is bound to consider a set of factors and pre-trial release is the default, not custody. Most of the discussion is typically over the conditions. Even if it is bail, cash bail is not particularly common.

Mind explaining the How many Romans line?

The point is a bit subtle. Yes, it's from Life of Brian. Point is: any number > 1 is plural. But conceptually there's a big difference between 2 of something and 20. The report leaves people to guess whether the issue is significant, or is merely being presented in terms that suggest it might be significant. Advice to PR hacks: give numbers.

Back