• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

:ROFLMAO:

Just have to see how divided Canadians are when the next election comes around. 🤷‍♂️

Before we go highlighting yet another divide to bring virtual swords to the canton....

Men 37% Liberal, 35% Conservative - 2% difference - remove 1% from the Liberals and add it to the Conservatives - 36-36
Women 47% Liberal, 23% Conservative - 24% difference - remove 12% from the Liberals and add it to the Conservatives - 35-35

In the real world men and women both vote - 50-50

So moving 12% of the female population or 6% of the total population puts the game back evens.

Those types of swings are regularly seen.

Mountains and molehills. Unless one is set on fomenting division.

SIU involved in horse trampling female protestor causing injuries. Also note less lethal firearm discharges (which was caught on video when a journalist was struck at point blank range with the projectile).
Here's what they're saying so far ....
... Preliminary information suggests the following:
  • On Friday, February 18 at approximately 5:14 p.m. there was an interaction between a Toronto Police Service officer on a horse and a 49-year-old woman on Rideau Street and Mackenzie Avenue.
  • The woman has a reported serious injury.
  • On Saturday, February 19 at approximately 7:18 p.m. Vancouver Police Department officers discharged Anti-Riot Weapon Enfields (less-lethal firearms) at individuals in the area of Sparks Street and Bank Street.
  • No injuries have been reported at this time.
  • The SIU asks anyone who may have been struck by a projectile to contact the unit.
Six investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to these cases ...

So far all that I have seen is one representative from New Mexico saying that she will introduce legislation. I doubt it will go away. Although, I wonder if we might be better off if a few of these people left the country.
If they are so hard done, I hear some US states are offering political asylum

I've read about some of the evidence being reported out of the bail hearings. He may not be a core organizer, but he shares a bed with one. Gives you confidence that the so-called leadership of this exercise received their civics knowledge from social media and/or the back of a cereal box.

It's an option -

Maybe they can find an RV Park.
De-centralize all they want but there would still be the seat of government.

Having seen what the Federal government (and SNC lavilin) can do to run a mall into the ground with heritage buildings in tourist central, I would not wish that onto the people that live in the proposed area.
No kidding - governments make lousy landlords. I understand folks living in PMQ/RHU housing would agree.

It is common (I'm all for it with drug deals and such), but for conspiracy to commit mischief or mischief though?

It seems like they're pulling the old administrative measures because charges won't stick trick. No?

If the government thinks they're acting like terrorists then charge them with terrorism.
You mean there are laws to do that? Crazy talk!

I've read about some of the evidence being reported out of the bail hearings. He may not be a core organizer, but he shares a bed with one. Gives you confidence that the so-called leadership of this exercise received their civics knowledge from social media and/or the back of a cereal box.

No kidding - governments make lousy landlords. I understand folks living in PMQ/RHU housing would agree.

Perhaps Ottawa might want to consider creating a designated Demonstration Ground where the OPS can direct and contain protesters while they conduct orderly, if not necessarily lawful, demonstrations. Preferably in sight of Parliament Hill.

I offer the National Mall in DC and Hyde Park in London as examples.

Perhaps Ottawa might want to consider creating a designated Demonstration Ground where the OPS can direct and contain protesters while they conduct orderly, if not necessarily lawful, demonstrations. Preferably in sight of Parliament Hill.

To date, it has seemed to be on Parliament Hill proper, or sometimes Major Hill Park to the immediate East. Worked well since before the Emergencies Act came into being in 1988.

Well, that's interesting. The TPS mounted unit-related injury appears to fall without their mandate. Without an injury (as defined in the Act) from the ARWEN discharge, I'm not convinced the SIU has jurisdiction. The fact that it might have been discharged by a non-Ontario member will be interesting to watch, since I'm not convinced they are captured by the Act, unless there was some agreement as part of the work-up for the deployment.

I recall an incident, several years ago and very early in the SIU's existence, where a joint OPP-RCMP takedown went a little south and an RCMP member wounded a miscreant. The SIU showed up and made a set of demands from the RCMP and its member, who promptly told them to go pound sand.

Edit - I mis-read. Their jurisdiction does include the "discharge of a firearm at a person". The other issue still stands in my mind.

Malaysia built an entire goverment centre on the outskirts of KL to reduce congestion. Note they also offer free housing to civil servants. Putrajaya | city and federal territory, Malaysia

I offer the Central Experimental Farm. ;) Or be like the Beijing Olympics where they setup designated protest zones, in a country where it is illegal to protest.

Can still work well. Just don’t let trucks in.

Could have let the trucks in an park them in Lansdowne Park and similar venues and let the organizers arrange shuttles to the Hill. The politicians and the press would have seen the protesters, under control, and the protesters would have been able to demonstrate their commitment and size of their support by the number of trucks remaining on site.

With no emergency.

Or did Covid rules get in the way of recognized practice?

Could have let the trucks in an park them in Lansdowne Park and similar venues and let the organizers arrange shuttles to the Hill. The politicians and the press would have seen the protesters, under control, and the protesters would have been able to demonstrate their commitment and size of their support by the number of trucks remaining on site.

With no emergency.

Or did Covid rules get in the way of recognized practice?
Like the Coventry Road Command Center? No thanks.

Back