• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

He's been held accountable twice. They were the 2019 and 2021 elections, and he was given a pass.

Just shows that Canadians get what they deserve. This country is a disaster and failure in so many ways since he was elected in 2015. Canadians seem to want more.

Can’t wait to leave this shit bucket in my rear view mirror for good.

Just shows that Canadians get what they deserve. This country is a disaster and failure in so many ways since he was elected in 2015. Canadians seem to want more.

And yet you do seem to be waiting. What’s stopping you?

You’re talking about the crew with the noose imagery, who tried to advance an ‘MOU’ that would supplant the House of Commons in government, and place them in its stead to work with the Senate and GG to… whatever it was they wanted?

The groups that combined to occupy downtown Ottawa and to force political change did nothing to show they were amenable to being persuaded by any course of action that would leave our democratically elected government in power. Those groups, on the occasions where they approached coherence, did not portray themselves as being likely parties in a responsible dialogue.

Sometimes when a child is having a tantrum, you pick them up and carry them out of the grocery store while they scream. I’m sure we don’t see this the same way of course, but I’m at peace with that.
Ah... so because the hardcore group wasn't willing to be reasonable, it makes total sense to ignore the hundreds/thousands who might very well have been reasonable. Imagine how much easier it could have been if the large majority of the group dissipated after a couple of days because the government even made a small attempt to act like it cared about the people who didn't vote for it.

Leadership isn't getting people who already like you to agree with you, it's getting people who disagree with you to at least see where you are coming from and agree to work with you. There was a complete lack of leadership from the government, and it made what should have been an inconvenient mess into an international headline.

Our entire system is based on the notion that despite your party not winning, you feel as though the government respects you, and gives you a fair hearing. When the government stops playing by those rules, the voters stop playing along by those rules as well. February it was bouncy castles and a few aggresive idiots, the next time it might be a lot worse.

Ah... so because the hardcore group wasn't willing to be reasonable, it makes total sense to ignore the hundreds/thousands who might very well have been reasonable. Imagine how much easier it could have been if the large majority of the group dissipated after a couple of days because the government even made a small attempt to act like it cared about the people who didn't vote for it.

Leadership isn't getting people who already like you to agree with you, it's getting people who disagree with you to at least see where you are coming from and agree to work with you. There was a complete lack of leadership from the government, and it made what should have been an inconvenient mess into an international headline.

Our entire system is based on the notion that despite your party not winning, you feel as though the government respects you, and gives you a fair hearing. When the government stops playing by those rules, the voters stop playing along by those rules as well. February it was bouncy castles and a few aggresive idiots, the next time it might be a lot worse.

No one at that convoy was going to be a Liberal vote. Few people in that convoy were from regions that, I would bet, matter in the Canadian political system. There was no benefit for the Government to talk to and try to understand the protest.

In fact quite the opposite. The benefit came from strengthening fear, and furthering division.

Your last paragraph is exactly why I argue for a redistribution of the seats. Make people feel ignored long enough and eventually they will make sure you hear them.

He's been held accountable twice. They were the 2019 and 2021 elections, and he was given a pass.

Only as much as a petulant child; with inattentive parenting is held accountable. But I agree we, as a nation, created this monster.

Given that, in that entire hodgepodge, who represented the reasonable? Which convoy protest leader should he have met with?

By just what metrics are you measuring/assessing countries? By just about every metric, CANADA is a huge success; a beacon of safety, security, fairness and prosperity in an increasingly turbulent world.

Gawd the fucking fanboys on this site will let anything go from that man. Enjoy that pillow.
I've yet to see anyone on this site actually say they are a fan or supporter of Trudeau. Politics, as in life, isn't black and white.

Last edited:
By just what metrics are you measuring/assessing countries? By just about every metric, CANADA is a huge success; a beacon of safety, security, fairness and prosperity in an increasingly turbulent world.
canada. A success. Wow.

canada. A success. Wow.
I know right?! I mean, it doesn't hold a flame to such places as Hungary, which according to the Varieties of Democracy Institute is one of the most rapidly autocratising countries in the world, or China, who's zero-COVID policy has lead to protests across the country, and may be building 87,000 COVID isloation PODs in Guangzhou to force people into quarantine, or Russia, where one of the lowest vaccination uptake rates resulted in one of the highest number of COVID deaths in the world (and a rate that is 2.5x that of Canada's), or maybe we look at our friends down south US, where not only do both sides absolutely despise the parties and leaders of the other side, but the trust in the actual institution of elections is the worst of all liberal democracies.

We are talking first world quandaries here. If I lived in Somalia or Haiti I would probably have a different view.
Which is why Roxham Road is such a popular destination for third world travellers.

A bit of pedantic diversion, but Valley folk, like pretty much everybody else in Ontario, don't "pay extra"; they pay for police service. Mike Harris drove funding of policing services down to the municipal level in the early '90s. Any municipality is free to have their own service or pay somebody else - OPP or municipal - to do it for them. Highway patrol, some other designated services such as aviation, as well as policing unorganized (no municipal government) are paid for by the province.

Renfrew Ontario and many communities in Ontario pay the OPP to provide policing services to their towns instead of having a police service. 2015 Renfrew paid $1.9 Million for police services.
I could not find a more recent costing ( Billing period is 01 October of each year )

Given that, in that entire hodgepodge, who represented the reasonable? Which convoy protest leader should he have met with?
They didn't need to meet with "reasonable" leaders, they needed to be seen as making an attempt to listen to the concerns of the leaders.

You take the wind out of the sails of unreasonable people by appearing to be more reasonable than them. Instead, as @Halifax Tar pointed out, the government played it for division and cheap politics, hoping the city/province would bear the brunt of the public backlash if anything went wrong. As it turns out, the city and province seemed to have taken a similar, though less hostile approach, which exposed the crass political games of the federal government.

And why wouldn't it be? Undefended/un-patrolled. I'm sure that human smugglers knew about that place well before we heard of it.
A savvy businessman would open a gift shop full of Hudson Bay blankets, knock off mountie hats, and “this year for sure!” Leafs jerseys so they can blend in seamlessly.

They didn't need to meet with "reasonable" leaders, they needed to be seen as making an attempt to listen to the concerns of the leaders.

You take the wind out of the sails of unreasonable people by appearing to be more reasonable than them. Instead, as @Halifax Tar pointed out, the government played it for division and cheap politics, hoping the city/province would bear the brunt of the public backlash if anything went wrong. As it turns out, the city and province seemed to have taken a similar, though less hostile approach, which exposed the crass political games of the federal government.
You got it backward:

"Instead, as @Halifax Tar pointed out, the government province played it for division and cheap politics, hoping the city/province federal government would bear the brunt of the public backlash if anything went wrong. "

A savvy businessman would open a gift shop full of Hudson Bay blankets, knock off mountie hats, and “this year for sure!” Leafs jerseys so they can blend in seamlessly.
Don't forget to include pillows, or should those come free with entry?

You got it backward:

"Instead, as @Halifax Tar pointed out, the government province played it for division and cheap politics, hoping the city/province federal government would bear the brunt of the public backlash if anything went wrong. "
I actually pointed out both sides did it, but the federal government is the party that poured gas onto the fire for political points, the city and province just ignored the problem hoping to make it stick to the feds.

Back