• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Helicopters

If the Liberals (Martin, but Chretien’s supporters were right there pressing) hadn’t pressed for an admittedly undeveloped aircraft to be selected as a means to protecting Chretien’s legacy (upholding the ‘I take my pen and write a big line tru dis…zip, zilch, zero ‘elicopters!’ cancellation of the EH-101), then we wouldn’t be here. In the end, with the LDs (liquidated damages) paid, SIK has met all terms and conditions of the contract. Don’t hate the player; hate the game.
Hey there maybe a bright side. If the Sikorsky Marine One contract fails (there are some problems) we will be able to buy the VH-92 helicopters at a big discount and use as replacement parts! Worked for the VH-71.

Relying on failed US procurements for spares for our orphan fleets isn't the power flex you seem to think it is...
It seems to be becoming a sustainable model for us. When the Halifax's start breaking, maybe we buy the LCS's in Reserve to fill the gap as well.......

Relying on failed US procurements for spares for our orphan fleets isn't the power flex you seem to think it is...
Hey bit of related topic. Anyone know about this. I had read if Sikorsky sells the H-92 (CH-148) to another third party government or military Canada will receive money back in form of royalties for the cost of the R&D in marinizing and mil spec'ing the helicopter. And also the cost of the fly by wire system. I had read this in regards to the Germany FYI for maritime helicopters. Does the VH-92 count in that? They will be using the fly by wire system. Or does LM just rack up some other fee and call it a wash?

Can’t lie, I like the ‘X’ better than the 280…it’s got good chops and looks good doing it. Also the footprint similar (close) to a 60 is solid, Vice a sideways 47-like space.

Can’t lie, I like the ‘X’ better than the 280…it’s got good chops and looks good doing it. Also the footprint similar (close) to a 60 is solid, Vice a sideways 47-like space.
Yes, I like the "X" as well for much the same reasons. Anything that can increase the number of available "LZs" is all right in my book.

Not to mention all the bugs of a new aircraft and learning curve crashes. Going to be more with a tilt rotor due to complexity and unlearning how to fly (RW or FW) and learning how to fly tilt.

Plus hovering a tilt next to a cliff face at 10k' plus for a longline or hoist? I'll wait for the GSAR team..

Not to mention all the bugs of a new aircraft and learning curve crashes. Going to be more with a tilt rotor due to complexity and unlearning how to fly (RW or FW) and learning how to fly tilt.

Plus hovering a tilt next to a cliff face at 10k' plus for a longline or hoist? I'll wait for the GSAR team..
Having been in hovering Osprey’s- they do it really well. The down wash - well that’s not great.

As bad as a Chinooks?
Seriously worse.

Edit to add: Whem you’re bored, take a read through, especially pages 166-168 to see the difference between UH-60, CH-53, CH-47 and V-22. Downward induced flow (aka rotor wash) is proportional to rotor system thrust / rotor area, in the case of the study, measured in psf (lbs/sq.ft) at their respective minimum and maximum all-up weights.

As a data set of representative rotorcraft, below is an extract of the report from worse to better:

MV-22: 10.7-22.3 psf (Min/Max AUW)
CH-53: 9.5-15.0 psf (Min/Max AUW)
UH-60: 8.2-9.2 psf (Min/Max AUW)
CH-47: 6.2-9.3 psf (Min/Max AUW)

So yes, the Chinook moves a lot of air…a lot, but that weight (mass) of air is spread over a very large area and wide slower moving blades than any of the other craft (including the Black Hawk, ironically).

Last edited:
The downdraft of an Osprey is nearly as powerful as a pilot's ego

bazinga GIF

Seriously worse.

Edit to add: Whem you’re bored, take a read through, especially pages 166-168 to see the difference between UH-60, CH-53, CH-47 and V-22. Downward induced flow (aka rotor wash) is proportional to rotor system thrust / rotor area, in the case of the study, measured in psf (lbs/sq.ft) at their respective minimum and maximum all-up weights.

As a data set of representative rotorcraft, below is an extract of the report from worse to better:

MV-22: 10.7-22.3 psf (Min/Max AUW)
CH-53: 9.5-15.0 psf (Min/Max AUW)
UH-60: 8.2-9.2 psf (Min/Max AUW)
CH-47: 6.2-9.3 psf (Min/Max AUW)

So yes, the Chinook moves a lot of air…a lot, but that weight (mass) of air is spread over a very large area and wide slower moving blades than any of the other craft (including the Black Hawk, ironically).

A V-22 taxied directly on top of me in Kuwait. I though the (50,000 lb) aircraft was going to flip. It threw a bunch of rocks and garbage up and on the airframe. It wasn’t fun but luckily there was no damage.

A V-22 taxied directly on top of me in Kuwait. I though the (50,000 lb) aircraft was going to flip. It threw a bunch of rocks and garbage up and on the airframe. It wasn’t fun but luckily there was no damage.
Wow, almost surprising, SSM, but not. Their downwash is insane! I’ve caught the edge of it as an observer on the ground and can only imagine the influence with a bunch of aerodynamic surfaces in play. My previous holy crap downwash moment was hover taxing a 146 past a 53 on the ground at 100% Nr…was probably 3-4 rotors away, but still! I have no doubt that even a MUAW Hook would be bounced around like a kid in a bouncy castle by an Osprey.

Wow, almost surprising, SSM, but not. Their downwash is insane! I’ve caught the edge of it as an observer on the ground and can only imagine the influence with a bunch of aerodynamic surfaces in play. My previous holy crap downwash moment was hover taxing a 146 past a 53 on the ground at 100% Nr…was probably 3-4 rotors away, but still! I have no doubt that even a MUAW Hook would be bounced around like a kid in a bouncy castle by an Osprey.
I remember seeing a video of a flyover of a SAR bird at the LtGov's residence in B.C. The downwash blew tables over and caused mayhem. The title of the video was something along the lines of" New CAF helicopter makes impression." LMFAO.

I remember seeing a video of a flyover of a SAR bird at the LtGov's residence in B.C. The downwash blew tables over and caused mayhem. The title of the video was something along the lines of" New CAF helicopter makes impression." LMFAO.
The EH-101/CH-149 is up around the CH-53 for downwash intensity, so I’m not surprised, Weinie…

Back