• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G-wagon

I

IceHawk

Does anyone know what‘s going on with the Iltis replacement? I hear the G-wagon won by default but when is the contract going to be signed? Any news?

I know we‘re not supposed to get them in the reserve... :)

Well ya, you‘re getting Silverados this spring (so they say). Hopefully they turn out alright, you‘ll have to keep us informed when your unit gets them. I hope they‘re cooler then the Iltis, I always thought those things look like toys.

I don‘t see silverados as a good replacement for the iltis. I mean something had to be done about the aging iltis but a pick up truck?
-We won‘t be allowed to take them out into the bush for fear of banging them up.
-I don‘t personally see them as a good platform to perform recceonisence from (a major role of the iltis i believe)

"I don‘t see silverados as a good replacement for the iltis"

I would to agree. Know I‘ve never used them but I‘ve always thought the Iltis was a good choice and good replacement for for the jeep. There light and air transportable...and from what I‘ve heard good in the bush. I doubt the silverados will do as well and it it will have a bigger footprint as well. I know there will be people out there who will think this is a crazy, but I think the gov‘t should of just got bombardier to start up production on the Iltis again.

I hopefully the regs will get the G-wagon soon.

Well, the trucks going to the reserves are not intended to ever go operational overseas or anything of the sort..

Heh, I miss the rumors of the reserves getting civ-spec G-Wagons, while the Regs got Mil-Spec ones..

We should have actually imported more Iltis. The reason why they were so expensive is because we bought them off of Bombardier, who, if memory serves, charged us 4 times as much (jsut about) than we would have had to pay to the European manufacturer. They‘re good vehicles, but it would be a monetary pain to replace them with more from Bombardier right now.

The would make sence..... I mean its a gov‘t contact from a Canadian company, so of course they are coming to charge more. After all they create jobs right..... :(

In that case your right, we would get a great from Germany as they selling off all their over stock of Iltis‘s. They had then boxed in storage waiting for a war that never happened.

Guys, the Iltis is unreliable and underpowered. They served their time but there are vehicles out there that are far better (G-wagon for inctance). I‘m not says the silverados are the best choice but I think they‘d do alright in the roles the Reserves need them for. Keep in mind, they‘re primary role in the Reserves is mostly light transport and they are not intended to go anywhere near combat. If you go to the GM website you‘ll see they aren‘t your normal civie pickup either.
Here‘s a link: http://www.gm-defense.com/products.asp?ProductID=7

The German military began to replace their Iltis fleet with the G-wagon at just about the same time as the CF procured the Iltis... I think the initial specs for the G-wagon by the German military was to remedy any shortcomings they experienced with the Iltis.

The only thing remotely bad I‘ve heard about the vehicle is the *possible* public perception we‘re getting "Mercedes" for the military, but that was a while ago and it‘s not actually physically bad...

From what I‘ve heard, the GM vehicles are supposed to be replaced every x kilometres or y years... At least that‘s what someone said the intention is anyways.

Guys, the Reserves HAVE been allocated the new replacement SMP (LUVW= G-Wagen??) Armoured Recce (Reserve) Units will NOT be conducting the light recce role in "Milverados", they will be doing it in the bona-fide military spec Light Utility Vehicle Wheeled (LUVW). The "milverado" is planned to be mainly used to facilitate on-road troop transport, ration runs, sergeant-major‘s transport, etc...

Thanks Zoomie, I had no idea that some units were getting the G-wagon. I just figured they would do armoured recce with the "milverados". How is that armoured recce anyway? I mean Iltis and G-wagon aren‘t really armour.

"Milverado" for anyone is ridiculus. GMC calls them CUCV II for a reason. They would be a great replacement for the LSVW, but for something like a jeep sized vehicle...no way. It‘s the card we‘ve been dealt so we have to play it.
The SMP vehicle will be going to the regs, with the exception of armd recce units. They will be turning in 21 Iltis in exchange for 9 LUVW. Recce in LUVW is indeed a role of the armd corps. "Sneak and Peek" in an easy to hide light vehicle in conjunction with heavier, armd surveillance vehicles is the plan.

Originally posted by Spanky:
[qb] GMC calls them CUCV II for a reason. They would be a great replacement for the LSVW, but for something like a jeep sized vehicle...no way. [/qb]
Originally posted by IceHawk:
[qb] their primary role in the Reserves is mostly light transport and they are not intended to go anywhere near combat. [/qb]
Originally posted by SpinDoc:
[qb] From what I‘ve heard, the GM vehicles are supposed to be replaced every x kilometres or y years... At least that‘s what someone said the intention is anyways. [/qb]
I am reminded of a Bde summer concentration where units had such a high reliance on "blue civi-pattern pick-ups" that a restriction had to be placed on their use (not after last light). At the time, I was amused (or possibly saddened) that only one pick-up in the entire Bde had 4x4 capability. However, being the general purpose vehicle of choice, this deficiency was reflected in units‘ willingness to move far from the road. At the time this particular exercise, I was pondering why the Army invested in Civi-pattern trucks instead of of-the-shelf military pattern trucks. These trucks could just as easily be replaced on the same scheduled as a civi-pattern fleet.

I don‘t believe a pick-up is a good replacement for a Jeep type vehicle. However, if it can replace civi-pattern trucks being used in the field then it is an improvement of a sort.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if it‘s the 2-door version or the 4-door version that is being purchased? Or maybe a mix of both? Because the Silverado does come in different versions.

i.e. is it:
http://www.gm-defense.com/products.asp?ProductID=10

or

http://www.gm-defense.com/products.asp?ProductID=39

The stuff I‘ve read hasn‘t specified 2 or four doors but the requirements call for 4 soldiers plus kit so I‘m thinking the four door version.

I hope to see both types of vehicle (two & four door). One of the arguments that kept civi-pattern pick-ups participating in a FTX was that they were all crew cabs. So, they could carry more people than the LSVW and they could carry more cargo than an Iltis or an LSVW.

Here‘s the final verdict I guess:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/mapleleaf/vol_6/vol6_04/vol6-04army.pdf

Wouldn‘t mind having those GM trucks in the Guard.

Why doesn‘t your army just buy HMMWV‘s? **** , we bought your stupid LAV‘s, fair‘s fair. ;)

:rocket: :tank:

Back