• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Georgian soldier reported missing in S. AFG

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
A military spokesman says a search is under way for a soldier from the NATO-led coalition who has gone missing in southern Afghanistan.

U.S. Army Maj. Martyn Crighton says the Georgian soldier is believed to be the first to have gone missing since U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was taken prisoner by the Taliban more than three years ago.

Eighteen soldiers from the former Soviet republic of Georgia, which has 1,560 troops in Afghanistan, have been killed over the past three years.

Georgia is not a member of NATO but has a significant presence in Afghanistan, relative to its population of 4.5 million ....
Army Times, 21 Dec 12

A Georgian soldier who went missing in Afghanistan this month has been found dead, local and international officials said Sunday.

The soldier, identified as Sgt. Giorgi Kikadze, disappeared Dec. 19  in the southern province of Helmand, which is at the center of the Taliban insurgency.

Acting on a tip from a local villager, Afghan police accompanied by international troops recovered the soldier’s body Saturday from an empty house in Helmand’s Musa Qala district, not far from his base, said district Gov. Nemat Khan. He had been shot four times in the head, the governor said.

A statement from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization-led force in Afghanistan said police found the soldier’s body and turned him over to international troops. An investigation is underway into the circumstances of his capture and death, the statement said without elaborating.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-coalition-soldier-found-dead-afghanistan-20121230,0,3917758.story

I have been watching wondering what had happened to him since he was reported missing on the 19th of December. According to some news articles he walked off base on his own, a similar situation to what happened to both Sgt. Bergdahl and Highlander Scott McLaren. Very sad news and I hope that those who murdered him will pay for what they did.

I'm sad to read this but at least he was killed quickly enough and not decapitated with a knife. 

Back