• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

getting gassed

Practice your gas drills so you can perform them flawlessly in the gas hut and listen to your instructors.  It's not all that bad, but it does affect some people more than others.  Saw one person actually try to use the puke valve without much luck....

At some point you will be inhaling CS so once you have re-masked, breathe normally, blink lots to clear your eyes and keep telling yourself that it will pass. As long as you reseal your mask properly panicking is totally unnescesary. And above all else remember.....have fun, its not often in Canada you will get the chance to clear your sinuses so thoroghly. :) :) :)

Make sure you don your mask, blow out and check your seal, before you warn others (gas, gas, gas) or spray, spray, spray. 

The new drill manual is clear that anyone failing to carry out proper drills should be punished by the effects of CS gas particulate.  Leaving the gas hut to avoid irritation is a poor response, learning to work through the irritation will prepare you for a time when you cannot run away or say I quit.

I have made approx. 300 entries to the gas hut as RSO.  It only hurts for a little while.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and more aware of your drill deficiencies.

The one-way valve on the mask/chin is for spitting or puking while in MOPP4, learn to use it well. 

Don't freak out or be nervous either.. Some people were so nervous they fumbled and messed up the steps and couldn't even put the mask on properly let alone remember to blow out first.

It's honestly no big deal so keep a calm head when you go in

What is the reasoning behind not having any dairy products such as milk/yogurt before going into the gas hut?

qor556 said:
What is the reasoning behind not having any dairy products such as milk/yogurt before going into the gas hut?

Because it's hard to keep down (thats why you avoid it while sick) especially if you get a sufficient enough mouthful/noseful of CS gas

DON'T DROP YOUR MASK!

I've seen this happen several times when I trained at the Ypres Gas Huts in Meaford. Just carry out your drills with urgency; exaggerate your drills if it helps.

Go to Tom & jerry's, and order "suicide wings". If you can handle that, you can take as much CS Gas as you feel fitting  ;D

qor556 said:

The real reason behind avoiding dairy is that it thickens your mucous, as well as stimulating the production of said, and you will have more difficulty clearing the CS that you do get from your sinuses/eyes.

Also, when you start to feel the effects of the gas, and start to don your mask, hold your breath immediately. Don't try to suck in a last breath before you put on your mask.

Seen people do it, and all they do is blow put on a mask when they have a mouthfull of CS. Also, like mentioned, just breath, and blink your eyes a lot. The snot and tears will pass, and it's just a short period of discomfort.

Look around at your buddies, think of how funny they look, and think of how much it would suck to do section attacks in MOPP 4.

Have fun!!

Ideally you're supposed to feel the effects of the gas before you put on your mask, I believe, but if you can get away with it just hold your breath and put it on as soon as you get in.

I hate to give away my easy-ways-out.

GO!!! said:
The real reason behind avoiding dairy is that it thickens your mucous, as well as stimulating the production of said, and you will have more difficulty clearing the CS that you do get from your sinuses/eyes.

So there is a reason behind it, thanks for the explanation.

Keep in mind, the effects are stronger on different people.

For example, last time I did the hut, I was only feeling a bit of burning, whereas my buddy was screamin from the CS.. just remember, someone will always have it worse than you ;D

And make sure after you're done and the place is opened up and aired out a little...ask the staff if you can go walk through again! Without the mask. We did. Tastes like pepper.

On the other hand, you could just do your drills as instructed, and learn and practice the techniques that could save your life, as opposed to avoiding ten seconds of discomfort, and further ingraining bad habits.

Just a thought.

"The reason for leaving the hut is not to avoid irritation. On the second serial the student enters the hut and upon noting the presence of agent or possible agent stops breathing closes their eyes and assumes MOPP 4. If the student makes a mistake on the drill they should be sent of the hut to conduct the drill again, not to avoid irritation. Why not take the time and get it right at the gas hut rather than make mistakes in a live agent environment? Working through contamination in a live agent environment just beacase you were poorly trained is a stupid way to die."

Juvenile practices like holding "just hold your breath" will most likely get you a second try from any experienced instructor.  I agree with being sent out of the hut. I don't agree with leaving the hut because you think you did the drills incorrectly or begin to feel irritation. 

Going in the Gas Hut with CS has little comparison to working in a "live agent environment" such as mustard decon ex in Suffield.  The adrenaline rush is much more severe and the drills are done more deliberately.  Been there, done that too.

The only way CS gas is going to injure or kill you is if a pallet of the stuff gets dropped on you.

There are allot more things in this army that hurt allot more.  Failing to trust your equipment, your NCO's, and yourself down the road will probably only result in mission failure at best, or at worst you or someone else getting killed.

Suck it up.

Back