• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting the "government" We Deserve

Wayne Coady

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Canadians have become a nation of cynics where politics is concerned. In the last federal election only about 50% of all eligible voters actually put an â Å“Xâ ? on a ballot. It has become a truism that it is a waste of time to go to the polling station because there really is no difference between political parties. With voter turnout at an all time low, we now have a government which can only truly claim to represent about 20 to 25% of the people. How did this happen?

Well, the first cause of our problem is the approach politicians have taken toward public office. Not too long ago it was not uncommon for two lawyers to form a law partnership, capture the Liberal and Conservative nominations in their riding and then run against each other in their electoral district. That way, the electoral loser would keep the law practice going while the winner went off to serve in the federal or provincial government. This approach to office is distinctly at odds with the often-cited claim by politicians that they have made a sacrifice by going into public service. Most people understand that the only part of the public being served is themselves.

The next cause of voter apathy was the dawning realisation that the only time any politician really pays any attention to ordinary citizens is when an election writ has been dropped. Even that concern evaporates the day after the final results are in. Politicians, once elected, only obey the instructions they are given by their party. They become men who vote like sheep. We believe these sheep are being led to the slaughter by a Judas goat.

When our representatives go to either Ottawa or Halifax, they become non-entities. No less a person than Pierre Trudeau once said about all MP's: "They are non-entities once they are 200 feet away from Parliament Hill." Since 1969, it has become fashionable for Prime Ministers in Ottawa and our Premier in Nova Scotia to maintain a large office staff that makes most of the decisions in the running of our country and our province.

Given these observations about our electoral system and our governments, it is not hard to understand why voters have become apathetic and cynical. We are governed by a back room cabal consisting of un-elected, and very probably unelectable, faceless and mysterious servants of special interests. In Ottawa it is the PMO (Prime Ministers Office) and in Nova Scotia, it is the Premier's Office. These unelected rulers are put in place by the political party holding office. There is no constitutional basis for these offices; they have merely grown up in the last 35 years.

In 1867, Sir John A. Macdonald ran the country with a PMO consisting of a couple of secretaries. Abraham Lincoln ran the United States during the Civil War with a similar complement of staff. These men ran their countries using their best judgement as their guide. Today, Canada's PMO and America's West Wing are staffed with hundreds of appointed office holders who force the government to act in a manner calculated to retain a firm grasp on power. Unfortunately, being right and being in power is not the same thing.

There is a proper season for all parties, but a party which is always in office grows stale and worthless. It also tends to select leaders who are easy to manage and manipulate. Inflated salaries, obscene perks and fat pensions ensure rank and file obedience within parties. Appointment to plum jobs after retirement ensure a career-long state of abject obedience in most MP's. We, the voters, end up with a country which is badly run, by people who are incompetent and we do not seem able to rid ourselves of these parasites. This state of affairs is something which was not unforeseen:

Two hundred years ago, James Madison, a man destined to become President of the United States was not in favour of political parties because he saw them as an anti-democratic force based on special interest. He saw only two solutions to avoid the creation of political parties: one was the elimination of freedom and the other was the hope that enlightened statesmen would always head up the government. He felt that eliminating freedom was a cure worse than the disease and that â Å“It is in vain to say that enlightened statesmen will be able to adjust these clashing interests, and render them all subservient to the public good. Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm.â ? Given his druthers, Madison would have sought an outright ban on the formation of political parties.

An Independent Solution
There is, however, a third way to ensure that ordinary citizens determine what governments do and how they operate. We must select the best, most capable people in our community to run as independent candidates. If enough independent representatives, people free from the constraints imposed by party discipline, win seats in our parliament and our legislature, they can act as a swing vote forcing the party in power to act for all the people. Even if these people lose their election campaigns, the weight of the people backing independent candidates will force candidates who are elected to think twice before voting like a flock of trained sheep. We need candidates who have no party affiliation and will act on our behalf, using their best judgement and the brains God gave them. That way we will enjoy a government, which is right more often than it is wrong, just more often than it is unjust, and capable more often than it is incompetent.

So, maybe the time has come to reform our whole political structure, starting at how we set up governments. Here in Nova Scotia all one need is $100.00 , five signature from the residents approving the fact that he / she are a resident of that riding and one must be free from having a criminal record and they can be place on the ballot as an independent candidate in our provincial elections.

Lets not forget that the NWT has a consensus government and that every regional municipal government in Canada is constructed on the same principals. Political parties have a long history of corruption and the party system power base is the few, thus we have been governed by the  â Å“oligarchyâ ? and they have been getting in and staying in power by falsely using the word â Å“ democracyâ ?      :cdn:

Regards

Wayne Coady

21 Ashgrove Avenue
Dartmouth N.S.
B2V 1Z2
(902) 434-9306

The reason that I didn't vote in the last election, was because I didn't think either of the candidates were worthy of my vote. They all had promises which I didn't like. I'm not going to vote someone in that I don't think would do a good job.

Fry said:
The reason that I didn't vote in the last election, was because I didn't think either of the candidates were worthy of my vote. They all had promises which I didn't like. I'm not going to vote someone in that I don't think would do a good job.

Then you really can't complain about the Goverment then can you?

A good post, but I still disagree with you,,,;-)

<rant> The cure for voter apathy isn't the abolition of political parties, because then you'll have one de facto apathy party....But even if it were, wouldn't you need a means of holdling politicians accountable?  How about a recall process, something that has been championed both by the Federal Conservatives and the Reform Party before them?

Of course, you'd have to make clear that that is exactly what you want them to do...that is, refuse to vote for them until they make it a major platform issue....of course, you'd need to overcome voter apathy to get people organised to hold their politicians feet to the fire....

Giving up on voting is the problem....giving up is the exact opposite of what you need to do...what you NEED to do, is vote, annoy your representative, write letters, protest, and generally be in his face so that he understands that YOU elected him, and YOU can take him out...by making sure that the press knows of every single cock-up and broken promise since he was elected....

Still, you problem is still voter apathy....The provincial (Ontario) Liberals broke ALL OF THEIR PROMISES WITHIN THE FIRST WEEK after their election!...and there was no outcry, no complaint....Dalton even broke the law by bringing in taxes he wasn't allowed to and calling it a premium...which would be fine if it were a premium, but the money so gained isn't necessarily being spent on health care!  Further, Martin & co. have been shown to be either crooks, grossly incompetent, or a blend of both....yet Ontario votes Liberal anyway.  Maybe if some of those non-voters out there did something, then we wouldn't be stuck with these bastards.  And then the (non)voters complain...it doesn't matter, they're all the same...of course they're all the same you idiiot!  There hasn't been a different party in power in a generation!  What the hell would you know about **different**???

</rant>

I still vote for realigning federalism between indirect representative democracy and direct local democracy.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Then you really can't complain about the Goverment then can you?

Mod or not, I think that post is very stupid. Many have seen that commercial on TV about "if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain." That is crap. Total utter crap. Why?

Just because I don't think that either of the candidates won't do a good job, and I don't vote for either, doesn't mean that I can't complain about the things they do once the election is over. To this day I disagree with many views of Jack Layton, Paul Martin, and Steven Harper. Doesn't mean I can't complain despite the fact I didn't vote for them.

No, but we are not talking about Jack Layton, Steven Harper, and Paul Martin (unless they were all running in your riding....)

Vote for a party, vote for the leader, vote for your MP, or use the protest vote for a small party - but don't throw it away and expect us to listen to you bitch about the politicians we elect.

There were no candidates running in my riding that I was satisified with enough to vote for. I'm from a small rural community and I understand what's needed here. Voting for either of the people running wouldn't fulfill what I'm looking for. Actually I thought they would all be bad people to elect. Conservative got elected here, it's been a nightmare. Just as I thought.

now days a protest vote is way more importint then it use to be because if a party gets enough votes they can get gov. support money for their next campane.

Mod or not, I think that post is very stupid

Now isn't that the pot calling the kettle black Fry? Are you not on Recorded for stupid posts? Do yourself a favour sunshine and set yourself on recieve only for awhile and you might make it without being Banned.

Fry said:
There were no candidates running in my riding that I was satisified with enough to vote for. I'm from a small rural community and I understand what's needed here. Voting for either of the people running wouldn't fulfill what I'm looking for. Actually I thought they would all be bad people to elect. Conservative got elected here, it's been a nightmare. Just as I thought.

If there are no parties, candidates or independents in your area that you feel are worthy to govern then send them that message. Go to the polling station, get in line, register and then spoil your ballot.

This sends the message that you care but do not believe the programs or plans of those who are willing to lead are acceptable to you while telling them that you are not just an arm chair quarterback who has been given the chance to have a say and have declined that offer.

I'd like to defend Fry here for a moment. I personally do not have a problem with a person who has taken the measure of the Candidates and consciously chosen not to vote. The act of consideration in and of itself is what should be considered here. Why should someone who has weighed the candidates and found them lacking go to the booth just to spoil a ballot?

It doesn't make sense. Spoiled ballots are written off as mistakes. A statistical reduction in the percentage of eligible voters however is noticed and the people who track such things make a big deal out of it and point to it as "voter apathy" or the decline of our democracy. In essence it is a more effective way of expressing wrong with the system than spoiling a ballot.

If Fry had said that he didn't vote because they are all worthless but had never even put any thought into the decision then the assumption that he had no right to complain would apply. But he has taken the time (apparently) to do what so many who just vote for "the party" or the "same side my family has always voted for" or choose the guy with the best looks, or those that make snap decisions when in the booth do not, and looked at the candidates. I say well done you Fry.

Ex-Dragoon, as a mod you should be held to a higher standard(sound familiar) than non-moderators. To threaten with banning a person because he disagrees with you sounds an awful lot like dictatorship! Maybe as a mod you should practice what you preach! I think I have brought this up in the past about mods being "above" the standard they demand of others!

As Ex-Dragoon IS a moderator, I believe what he was posting was guidance...not threatening to ban him.  Just a helpful reminder that while you can disagree with someone's ideas,  if you're going to call a moderator's post stupid, it is far more believable if you aren't displaying a "recorded warning" flag....

Think of it as a "you're new, and still have much to learn" posting.  Fry has owned up to the posting that got him in hot water the first time, and he's still around.  So he gets the benefit of Ex-Dragoon's experience, and a suggestion that when up to his ass in aligators, he not try to give direction on how best to clear a swamp...at worst, it's a comeback, not a threat.

Besides, if he was likely to be banned for something he had posted, he'd get a clear and direct warning along the lines of:

"One more post like that and I will ban you".

People who take up the profession of arms don't often get points for *subtle* warnings before they discharge their weapons...hence you are not likely to find subtle warnings issued by the mods on Army.ca.  You will find guidance, and the occasional "hey you really ticked me (personally) off" postings, but our moderators don't ban people for disagreeing with them.  They ban them for consistently being knobs.

It is far in the past, and on different board software, but I had a post deleted here once for being a smart-ass.  I deserved it, I got over it.  I've had long-standing Forces / board members call bullshit on me too...while I still don't agree with some of what they had to say, it has made me more careful to be sure of the ground I'm standing on before I spout off...usually...

Why did I make that comment? Because I thought it was a very bad post. How dare he tell me I don't have the right to complain about political problems in my country, especially when that country is Canada? I have voted in the past, but this past election, I felt no one was worthy for my vote. This doesn't deny my freedom of speech. That post he made kinda ticked me off because to me it seemed somewhat of an attack. I realized I was an a$$ before, and took heed to Trinity's pm's. I trimmed my posts, but still, I don't feel that because he's a mod, that he should be held higher than me.

I'm not personally attacking Ex-Dragoon, but seriously, there's no reason to threaten me because I complain when someone says I don't have freedom of speech. That's just ludacris.

Fry: You want to complain? Fine. You have that right, even if you didn't vote.

However, some may choose to ignore your opinion because you couldn't be bothered to involve yourself in the process of electing the government. Why should anyone care what you think of something, if you didn't care enough at the time to make your voice heard? If you could not vote 'for' someone, why not vote 'against' the worst candidate? Why not vote for some wacked-out fringe party?

There are options. To say 'it wasn't worth it' I'd imagine is a bit of a slap to people who have to fight (literally) for that right. IMHO it is your duty, not your right, to vote.

That's just ludacris.

Unless it's a rapper, it's "ludicrous".

<my opinion>The common comment is that if you don't vote, you have no right to complain, the idea being that if you can't be bothered to participate in the democratic process, then you have no business critiquing it.   You claim you didn't vote, and that was your democratic right, and therefore you have a right to complain....it's just that for most people, voting is the only democratic thing they will ever do until they shelve it for the next election.   If you carefully looked at each of the candidates, their parties, and their platforms and concientiously chose not to vote, then perhaps there is some hope for you.   But the question remains, what did you do instead?   Did you run?   Encourage someone to run?   Donate to a party that supports your views?

It isn't a duty to vote...but it is a duty to participate in the democratic process.   </my opinion>

Gunnar said:
It isn't a duty to vote...but it is a duty to participate in the democratic process.   </my opinion>

Ok, I can agree with that....

Fry said:

I agree with Ex-Dragoon.

You should know that the liberal party is the one supporting rural communities.  Perhaps you didn't really bother to look at what all the parties had to offer...
For example, the liberal party is providing great support with initiatives such as Fednor: http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/infednor-fednor.nsf/en/Home
and Eastern Ontario Development Fund : http://www.eodf.org/ just to name a few.

And since conservative were elected just as you thought, you could have made a difference by voting for a different party and cant complain about your nightmare.

[Edit] Oh sorry, complain all you want with your freedom of speech, but really it'll be a worthless speech.

One reason you might not be getting what you want from the parties is because you are part of a segment that doesnt vote.  Offering something to your likes could cost many votes to a party since you wont carry it out.  Why bother then right?  Get involved, get you community involved, get to vote, be heard, make a change.

I dont mean to offend you, but urge you to use your right that so many people died/ are willing to die for.
[/Edit]

Back