• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Good reasons not to mix military and civilian kit

Nostix said:
I'm still a little bit confused as to what the issue is with having a duffel bag or backpack at an airport/train station.
There isn't unless you're a pretentious ass who wants to make a "Harhar, I"m a tool but I'm not as much of a tool as them" feel good site.

While I don't subscribe to the "I'll use the small pack as my carry on" crowd, I understand why it happens when people are going on course/task.  When you have a kit list that requires you to bring everything and the kitchen sink, including the small pack, yet there is a restriction on excess baggage, it is very attractive to save space in your checked baggage by using the small pack as the carry on.  For a "small pack", it takes an inordinate amount of space to pack.

From some of the pictures it appears s/he's not only acquainted with many of these pers but also probably a member of their unit.  Pretty sad really, public mockery is no replacement for stepping up and correcting the fault when one actually exists and publicly mocking a peer or stranger for doing something that is explicitly allowed in the Regs is just being an ass.  Good to see s/he has such strong convictions that they are willing to put their name to the Blog as well...

Perhaps this blog should be aimed more at the people who will wear CF kit simply to show off or "be cool" around civies. I even have a friend who does this he's a nice guy but for whatever reason he will always be wearing something CF related no matter how many times I tell him it's not cool. These types of people seem to wear it for attention there just waiting for someone to comment so they can go into their "stories" of the army or to "pick up". Its rather sad that people rely on kit for attention.

We're probably all guilty at some point. I'm guilty of varying my tan backpack. I wanna say it's cause I just don't want to drop cash on a civi back pack, but I like how the tan one looks.

I just found this guy's commentary very funny even if I might end up on there too

I'm guilty of the Duffel bag, 1) 1 issued and a second one for $20 at cash sales, easy to lift when full. 2) Hockey bag $50 and can't lift it with all the gear in it.

Teager said:
Perhaps this blog should be aimed more at the people who will wear CF kit simply to show off or "be cool" around civies. I even have a friend who does this he's a nice guy but for whatever reason he will always be wearing something CF related no matter how many times I tell him it's not cool. These types of people seem to wear it for attention there just waiting for someone to comment so they can go into their "stories" of the army or to "pick up". Its rather sad that people rely on kit for attention.
Bring back that green windbreaker with "Canadian Forces" stitched across the back. Was that the late 70s??

PAdm said:
Bring back that green windbreaker with "Canadian Forces" stitched across the back. Was that the late 70s??
I had one that said Canadian Forces Europe  in mid early 80's.

These captions cracked me up.  I think my favourite was the Busborne one "this poor fella's lookin at having some twists".

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of the army type bag being worn in civvies.  But discussing/mocking my patches is a step too far!

I've been using my Kitbag to take a bunch of my stuff while I've been on training with MNR.... It's big, sturdy, and holds everything I need... If some guy wants to put me on his "Too cool for school" blog, go ahead... I think that he is being a bit ridiculous with some of the pictures... I'm betting there are a few on that site who are doing the whole Home/school/parade night commute... I can totally understand using the kitbag to fit all your stuff for that...

That being said, The small pack is a really stupid school bag... Really...

I pack a kit bag in my checked luggage all the time when travelling.  I have yet to find a durable bag that can compress to that small of a space, and I usually wind up bringing back stuff I've bought in the kit bag anyway.  If the kit bag was waterproof and had a big shoulder strap, it'd pretty much be (almost) perfect.

George Wallace said:
The thing that is of interest, is that we have all done something like this at one time or another.  Waiting to see my mug on the site some day.  :warstory:

No doubt a 37pattern small pack, the photo is a still taken from the British Pathe website.....  ;D

As for the Green windbreaker with the CANADIAN FORCES on the back, who didn't have one at some point. Just found mine stuffed into a bag in the garage.

Back