• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Good things to know about RMC

DVessey

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I just recieved a conditional offer yesterday for ROTP at RMC, Communications and Electronics Engineer(Air).
I‘m more than likely going to accept this offer, however I had been planning on going to a civilian university. I had already talked to various people about BOTC and what it‘s like, and was banking on some "time off" during the school year.

Before I make my final decision though, can anyone here fill me in on what RMC life is like? I‘ve read all the pamphlets and websites, but I‘d really like to hear first hand experiences. So far, from what I understand, the first four weeks are difficult, to say the least. What about after that?

Thanks for any input!

If you get the Outdoor Life Network, this week‘s episode of Truth, Duty, Valour is all about RMC. I only caught about the first 15 minutes when it was on yesterday afternoon, but its on again today (4PM CST, so 6PM EDT I presume), and I believe again on Thursday (at 9PM EDT, I believe, but you might want to check your TV guide).

Have you contacted the Red and White coordinator for your region? They are all X RMC graduates and they are there to answer questions like yours.

Originally posted by Koach:
[qb] Have you contacted the Red and White coordinator for your region? They are all X RMC graduates and they are there to answer questions like yours. [/qb]
Thanks! I had forgotten about him. I‘m pretty sure I have his business card at home somewhere from when all the universities came to visit the school.

It‘s "official" now. I just phoned the recruiting centre and accepted.
Was set for basic for Jun 28 - Aug 27, but the Captain is looking into it since my graduation is the 28th as well.
I don‘t really want to miss that, but I guess there‘s not much to do other than keep my fingers crossed.

They wont adjust your basic. It has already been adjusted significantly to fit the constraints of the academic year. I doubt they‘ll let you miss the first day.

What about RMC would you like to know?
I did the junior program, and clearly still have friends at RMC Kingston.

Originally posted by Meridian:
[qb] They wont adjust your basic. It has already been adjusted significantly to fit the constraints of the academic year. I doubt they‘ll let you miss the first day.

What about RMC would you like to know?
I did the junior program, and clearly still have friends at RMC Kingston. [/qb]
There aren‘t any specific details I can think of, basically anything you wish you would have known going in.
I‘ve talked to a few other people and have heard about the first four weeks and how much "fun" it is, so I have an idea of what to expect there. Are there any other surprises after that I should know about/be prepared for?

Which first four? of IAP or of FYOP (RMC, or whatever they are calling first years **** month)?

The first four of iap just suck because you arent allowed to go anywhere or do anything, even to the store on base.. But as they will explain to you, if you can‘t make it through that, you wont make it through a deployment overseas.

Also, it depends on your staff/OC
If he/she decides you get to wear civies during this 4 weeks, then your free time is much more comfortable. Otherwise (and this is the official policy), get used to your issue overalls & jogging suits. :p

IN any event, the last weekend of your first 4 weeks is a big one, because the staff spend all week telling you you wont get it. In the end, you usually get at least a day... depends on your platoon, really.

After that, its pretty much a cakewalk, if your plattoon is smart enough to realize how things work. A sort of routine sets in, and for the most part staff get bored of getting in your face.

Also... I still don‘t understand how you are supposed to know that an officer is in the office when you must do drill to approach the door and are not allowed to look around at attention.

We had one ******* of a captain that hid, just so you couldnt see his face and rank, and so you‘d get yelled at if you didnt salute at the door.
if you did and only NCM‘s were in there, it was even worse.

*shrug* Id salute over not saluting :p

What can I say.. timings are the biggest things. ITs big for the Recruits, but even bigger for the officer cadets, as they are expected to set their OWN timings in accordance with the staff‘s set ones... and when you have a bunch of "leaders" together, everyone always knows that they can stretch time... and then you are late.

I swear, that was the biggest problem on our course.... timings...

IN any event. It is not as bad as it is cracked up to be.. just a lot of tedious stuff...

I remain positive that the course (IAP/BOTP) could have been accomplished in half the time if they just cut out half the garbage. In fact, I would have given up all weekends just to have that happen....

Back