• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Google Earth...WOW!!!

Bo

Inactive
Reaction score
Just google Google Earth and download the program. You start by looking at the entire earth, then just search for a location like "cold lake, AB" and it zooms in to the exact location. Unreal!!! I can see CF-18's...even the one painted orange and black!!

http://kh.google.com/download/earth/index.html

Bo said:
I can see CF-18's...even the one painted orange and black!!

Yeah I see it too, does anybody know what 2 planes are right in front of that orange CF-18? From this height it looks like it could be anything from a F-15 to a JSF....but what would they be doing over there? Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me.

It really is an amazing program. Things to keep in mind! I have heard from my sources in the aviation industry that this site is fully controlled by the FBI. When the program says its streaming, its not. It is all old pictures, and every pixel on there has been previously checked and censored (altered) by the FBI so that you cannot see some things. Think military, government, area51 (maybe?) and other sensitive places. That's the word how I heard it.

Check out Comox, BC AF Base too! Woohoo!

Nice golf course at Comox. I hope I get posted there for OJT  ;D

The imagery on Google Earth is all commercial satellite imagery that has been ordered and paid for by a customer, and the imagery is now being used by Google.

The majority of the Globe is at about 10 - 15 metre resolution.  Interestingly enough, most of the bases in Canada are at about 2 metre resolution.  I zoomed into Camp Warehouse in Afghanistan and was amazed at how good the resolution was then.  I can tell you that the photo of Warehouse was taken in mid October, between 2 and 4:30 in the afternoon.  Amazing access to imagery.

The spot at N64 53 50 and W87 51 29 is interesting.  Someone told me that it was a censored location because of DEW line sensitivity (or that a scientist there got angry and carved a huge swearword with a bulldozer.)  I think it is just missing data they have covered up.

On the whole, it is a lot of fun and interesting to see so much of the world.  :)

i found it interesting, only bases i have looked at are Trenton and Petawawa.
All the towns around Petawawa are not nearly as clear as the base,  Petawawa you can zoom right in, see all sorts of stuff, and other around it, you have to zoom back a few bars.

Sems to me the army bases are very clear, maybe too clear compared to stuff around it. Former Base Toronto is interesting, i have not been there since I left in 95, lots of changes i see, lots of buildings gone and a few new ones on the east side of the base and runway.
cool site

strongchristian said:
It really is an amazing program. Things to keep in mind! I have heard from my sources in the aviation industry that this site is fully controlled by the FBI. When the program says its streaming, its not. It is all old pictures, and every pixel on there has been previously checked and censored (altered) by the FBI so that you cannot see some things. Think military, government, area51 (maybe?) and other sensitive places. That's the word how I heard it.

Check out Comox, BC AF Base too! Woohoo!

It's definitely not streaming, there's some major contruction that's been going on in Shearwater for a few months and it's not on the google map.

Remember with google earth! Soccer fields will appear, of course, as soccer fields. But not all soccer fields are soccer fields!  ;D  Well, that is if you speak to my (crazy) friends.

I'm having a little trouble finding KAF using google earth. Can someone in the know send me the coordinates for it?

Bo said:
Nice golf course at Comox. I hope I get posted there for OJT  ;D

Very nasty if you get off the main fairways.  Once in the trees you can almost guarantee you wont find your ball.  Plus, a bad slice can often end up bouncing down the runway on certain holes. 

strongchristian said:

Dont know about the FBI bit, but many images are old on purpose - to get your interest so you will pay for more modern images. 

Ghost778 said:
I'm having a little trouble finding KAF using google earth. Can someone in the know send me the coordinates for it?

It's not available

if you like that heres http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ measures distance!

Kandahar Airfield on google Maps... old and low resolution imagery for that area, though... http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=31.508313,65.853939&spn=0.064102,0.107975&t=k&om=1

However, a couple KM north, a really nice patch of hi-red imagery, including a good view of "No Drugs mountain" http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=31.578074,65.831827&spn=0.004003,0.006748
Edit: My picture from the ground is attached...

Also, really neat, Qalat (in Zabol Province) in high-res....  http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=32.108915,66.911513&spn=0.007961,0.013497

Recce By Death will like those, I'm sure.. Bring back memories of... several months ago. :p

Look at Edmonton on it and parts of the city are snow covered while other parts are not...lol

I would have to assume some of the satelite pictures are rather old. I just checked out the Naval Yard in Oakland and found aircraft carrier 41 sitting there (Midway). Did a little research and found the following statement about this carrier.

"On 30 September 2003, Midway began her journey from the Navy Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility, Bremerton, Wash., to San Diego where she will be a museum and memorial. She was docked at the Charles P. Howard Terminal in Oakland, Calif., during the first week in October while the construction of her pier in San Diego was completed. The carrier was towed from Oakland to San Diego, and arrived on 5 January 2004. She docked at the Naval Air Station North Island to load historic aircraft for display."

(http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/carriers/histories/cv41-midway/cv41-midway.html)

Course you figure that if the pictures are about two~three years old and cover much of the world (or at least North America)... and free, you cannot complain.

Smiles.
Dugnut

Because of work, I check out the James Bay coastline, and I notice:

1)  some mighty small places have pretty hi res'n (maybe linked to Dewline/Mid-Canada Line stuff?); and
2)  the imagery is more than just a few months old (stuff I know has been on the ground for 5-6 months does not appear in the photos).

Still, AMAZING stuff!

Ok so if you actually shell out the $20 a month or what ever it is do you see the most recent images available then??

That's just creepy. I can see my house, my car, and my dog.

Back