• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grandfather served with hasty p's in WW2

byrd365

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering how I would find info about my Grandfather who served with the hasty p's in WW2 he did not die in the war and my family doesn't seem to know to much about what he did so I'm having a hard time gathering information his name is Havelock Maurice Kennedy any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Start by ordering a copy of his service record from Library and Archives Canada:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogie/022-909.007-e.html

How to Send an Inquiry Concerning Your Own or Another Individual's Records

We try to answer inquiries within 30 days; however, due to the large number of inquiries being received, we are currently experiencing delays in our response times. Clients who submit a written request should expect to wait six months for a response. Priority service is given to people who require documentation to prove that they qualify for pensions, allowances, claims and other benefits, therefore, these types of requests should be clearly identified.

For projects involving research in a large number of files, the request will be assessed by our staff to determine if current resources can accommodate such an extensive commitment.

* Your request must be signed.
    * To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
    * If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.
    * Consult the section below on Access Restrictions.
    * Please specify what document(s) you require. If you are doing family history research, we recommend that you request a "genealogy package," which will include copies of selected documents from the file that highlight/summarize the individual's service.
    * We do not accept email inquiries for these records. Inquiries must be sent by mail or fax.
    * Your request can be written as a letter or you can print off a blank copy of the Application for Military Service Information form available in [PDF 663 KB] or [RTF 44,516 KB] format, which should be filled in, signed and sent by mail or fax. (Download Freeware)
    * Inquiries should be sent by mail or fax to:

ATIP and Personnel Records Division
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON  K1A 0N4
Fax: 613-947-8456

byrd365:
My father also served as a Hasty P during the Second World War. Follow the advice above as well as visiting their website at:
http://www.theregiment.ca/hastypee.html
I actually submitted the last 2 'pages' of photos in the "Old Photos.." section of the Photo gallery and I was amazed at the emails I rec'd including pics of my dad that no one in the family had ever seen!!
Farley Mowat was a member of that Honoured Regiment as well and he wrote a book simply entitled "The Regiment" detailing the exploits from North Africa to Northwest Europe. He also wrote "And No Birds Sang" , It, admittedly has been a while since I read that one.

You'll see on the website that the Regiment has a reunion every year, you could get in touch with the Association and see about coming out as you're not far from Belleville.  Many veterans attend and you've got nothing to lose asking around.  The Regiment has a great extended family, there's also a museum in Belleville, stacks of pictures and so on.  Good luck!

byrd365 said:
Hi I'm just wondering how I would find info about my Grandfather who served with the hasty p's in WW2 he did not die in the war and my family doesn't seem to know to much about what he did so I'm having a hard time gathering information his name is Havelock Maurice Kennedy any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Not sure if he would reply, but Farley Mowat served in the Hasty Ps, and is still alive.  Your grandfather may even be mentioned in his books....

During the Second World War, Mowat was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant into the Second Battalion, Hastings and Prince Edwards Regiment, affectionately known as the Hasty Ps. He went overseas as a reinforcement officer for that regiment, joining the Canadian Army in the United Kingdom. On July 10, 1943, he was a subaltern in command of a rifle platoon and participated in the initial landings of Operation Husky, the Allied invasion of Sicily....from wikipedia.

Mr. Mowat doesn't seem to have any further relatioship with the Regiment.  I've never gotten any explanation of why, but he doesn't participate in reunions or any events, though it is notable that he gave the Association the right to The Regiment and allowed a reprinting of the book.

Rhibwolf said:
Not sure if he would reply, but Farley Mowat served in the Hasty Ps, and is still alive.  Your grandfather may even be mentioned in his books....

During the Second World War, Mowat was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant into the Second Battalion, Hastings and Prince Edwards Regiment, affectionately known as the Hasty Ps. He went overseas as a reinforcement officer for that regiment, joining the Canadian Army in the United Kingdom. On July 10, 1943, he was a subaltern in command of a rifle platoon and participated in the initial landings of Operation Husky, the Allied invasion of Sicily....from wikipedia.

I was with dad (before his passing) probably around 1998/99 and actually ran into "Mr" Mowat at a Farmer's Market just outside of Burlington Ontario. For some obscure reason, dad had a copy of the originally published "The Regiment" (1948 I think) in the car and got it signed. He and dad 'disappeared" for about an hour and I never did find out what the conversation was about though I suspect it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall. Today, I have this copy of the Regiment signed simply as "A brother, Farley Mowat".
Dad described him as a 'grizzly old man" - Dad was 77 at the time!!!

Now that is a treasure.

Trent University has a copy of the original printing which was the first I read - I had a copy of the last commercial pressing I loaned to someone and never saw again, but I also have one of The Regiment's recent edition - it adds more recent pictures from the Regiment's pilgrimage to Italy in 2005, which I had the privilege of attending.  It was an absolutely fascinating experience, and a number of veterans were with us for the trip.

Pat in Halifax said:
I was with dad (before his passing) probably around 1998/99 and actually ran into "Mr" Mowat at a Farmer's Market just outside of Burlington Ontario. For some obscure reason, dad had a copy of the originally published "The Regiment" (1948 I think) in the car and got it signed. He and dad 'disappeared" for about an hour and I never did find out what the conversation was about though I suspect it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall. Today, I have this copy of the Regiment signed simply as "A brother, Farley Mowat".
Dad described him as a 'grizzly old man" - Dad was 77 at the time!!!

If I find the energy to get off my lazy ass, I will scan the front cover and post it here.
Oh, and yes, it is a treasure.
I know my older brother has one of the original prints too!

Back