• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grenadier Kit

Matt_Fisher

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
With the evergrowing 'TacVest doesn't make the grade' thread, I just wanted to do a separate post on a piece of kit that M-203 grenadiers may find quite useful to help overcome the Tac-Vests deficiencies for their role.

Tactical Tailor makes a M-203 grenade belt/bandolier that is capable of securing 12 M-203 rounds.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/belts/40mm_belt/

The rig can be worn either bandolier style/over the shoulder, or secured around the waist below the Tac-Vest.

The nice thing about this rig is that if the grenadier goes down, the other section members can simply pick up the weapon and belt and carry on without losing the firepower of the M-203.

The only downside to this belt is that it comes in black only, but through the creative use of some OD, brown or tan spraypaint, you could make it more tactically palatable.

whats the pro's to having the grenades other than being able to shoot them farther than throwing and wouldn't that add extra weight/ get in the way?

purple peguin said:
whats the pro's to having the grenades other than being able to shoot them farther than throwing and wouldn't that add extra weight/ get in the way?

I'm a bit confused here.  Do you mean what are the differences between the munitions that the M-203 uses vs. the M-67 hand grenade (sorry, can't remember Canadian nonmenclature here)?

hey that's the company!
man I've been trying to beat myself over the head about who made this, thanks I needed the link!
I'm looking at purchasing one, well most likely not for the army, but for *sigh* airsoft.
Greg

Yes the pro's of the m203 , because if you have just the hand gernade then you have to be closer but can be thrown into confined spaces,but the m-203 must have to be fired from a distance? And with your belt then wouldnt you think it would get in the way?

purple peguin said:
Yes the pro's of the m203 , because if you have just the hand gernade then you have to be closer but can be thrown into confined spaces,but the m-203 must have to be fired from a distance? And with your belt then wouldnt you think it would get in the way?

What you need to realize is that this is not an either or situation.  All members of your fireteam/section will have hand grenades as part of their basic combat load and you will have designated M-203 grenadiers.

The M-203 is very effective in laying suppressive fire or obscuring smoke during the assault, popping grenades through windows during FIBUA, launching flares, etc. all at ranges that outdistance the ability of one to throw a grenade physically.

For close-in work, such as trench, bunker or room clearing you've still got your hand grenades.

As far as the belt getting in the way...I don't think it'd get in the way anymore than any other type of load-bearing equipment you already have strapped to your body.

Does anyone beside me think that this looks EXACTLY like the bandoliers which the m203 grenades already come with?  What's the point of purchasing this belt when you can just sling the issued bandolier?

The TT belt can be easily mounted and dismounted - nice if your 203 gunner takes a knee permanent like.

It is a much nice system than our issue bandolier cups.

Besides slinging a bandolier and moving is a terrible proposition - it will get wrapped up and either melon you or encumber the kit you need.

Hi, During My NS we would take a small WW2 '37 small pack  then cut 2 long strips out of a car inner tube.
on each strip which was about 10-12 cm wide you would cut small slashes and make a bandolier  ,one for m-203
grenade and one for flares then you tided a short cord on one end to pull it out of the smallpack and a cord on
the other end to keep it attached to the pack,
so you wore the the pack on your back over your webbing/vest and pulled left for grenade,right for flares.
it worked not badly but it would work much better with  proper bandoliers and a purpose made pack
also it means that you dont have to carry 24-30 grenades when you don't need them.
your's Adam

Matt, any experience (personal or any fellow Devil Dogs) with using the modular dropleg piece with the 40mm modular piece attached? Or a dedicated 40mm dropleg subload? I know that option is also available, wondering if it was worth looking at?

The King said we can't call the "grenadiers":

BOMBER: How the term "bomber" came to be officially adopted in the War is curious. When, after the first Battle of Ypres, hand-grenades came into general employment, the parties of men trained to use them--a certain number in each battalion--were given the name of "grenadiers." The Grenadier Guards objected, claiming that they had a prescriptive right exclusively to the name, as having been specially conferred on them after Waterloo to commemorate their part in over-throwing Napoleon's Grenadiers of the Guard. The Guards, says Sir Frederick Ponsonby, in his History of the Grenadiers in the War, were "much perturbed", considering it as "an infringement of their privileges and misleading." The Colonel in command of the First Battalion Grenadier Guards protested to the War Office against the "usurpation". After a protracted controversy a final appeal was made to the King, and in may, 1916, it was officially announced that "at His Majesty's expressed wish the word 'Bomber' should be universally substituted for 'Grenadier' ". - Edward Fraser and John Gibbons, Soldier and Sailor Words and Phrases, 1925

Marauder said:
Matt, any experience (personal or any fellow Devil Dogs) with using the modular dropleg piece with the 40mm modular piece attached? Or a dedicated 40mm dropleg subload? I know that option is also available, wondering if it was worth looking at?

I've known some guys who are into dropleg platforms for holstering pistols, but the only downside of droplegs is that if you're doing alot of rucking or patrolling, they can put a beating on your leg from the constant motion.

It would really depend on the individual and what works best for them and their own "comfort zone".

For ease of transitioning roles in emergency though, I'd recommend the belt I posted information on.

Back