• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamster prices triple in China -BBC News

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hamsters have become the must-have pet in China since the Year of the Rat began on 7 February.

Pet shop owners say stocks are running low - and prices high - as children clamour for a furry friend.

According to the Chinese media, prices have tripled to about 30 yuan ($4.20, £2.10) per hamster across the country.

In the Year of the Rat, this tiny creature has become the most acceptable rodent, a type of animal that is not everyone's first-choice pet.
"Rats and mice have a bad image, but hamsters are gentle. You can hold them in your hand and play with them," Xinhua News Agency reported.

Pet stores are also reporting an increased interest in other, similar-looking creatures, such as chinchillas and squirrels. But it is the hamster
that appears to have caught the imagination at the start of a new lunar year in China.

One father told the media: "I've always wanted to buy my son a small animal and a hamster is an ideal choice. "By bringing up a pet, my son
will learn about compassion and caring for animals."

But there is a downside. Experts are warning that rodents have sharp teeth and can deliver a nasty bite. Some could even be carrying the rabies virus.

Édith : I changed the color of the above link .

I read the title of the post, and thought this was gonna be an article about the price of hamsters for consumption :pop:

I know it's BBC but it would have been nice if you could have posted the link as most people who post such an article here.

Oh well...heheheh...

Medtech, where's my hamster Bao Zi?  ;D

Xin Nian Kuai Le (Mandarin)/Kung Hei Fat Choy (Cantonese)!- A (belated) Happy Chinese New Year!

新年快了!

Why? Are they some sort of special New Year's snack or something?

CougarDaddy said:
I know it's BBC but it would have been nice if you could have posted the link as most people who post such an article here.

If you click the title above the quotation box it takes you to the article.

TCBF said:
Why? Are they some sort of special New Year's snack or something?

Not really. Just "ratting" on Kwailo, Chanman and Medtech since it's the Year of the Rat. hehehe. Umm...yeah, bad pun.  ;D

Mmm, I wonder if they started that myth from the middle age torture of putting rats in wood cage,
putting one end to the rectum of the prisoner and setting fire on the other end... Rats eat their way out...

dapaterson said:
In other news:

Richard Gere cancels China trip...

He's imitating Speilberg, for less reason. Darn, he seems to look for more publicity. Not enough good movies, he?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7242016.stm

Pet hamsters banned in Vietnam

Vietnam has banned the sale and possession of hamsters, whose popularity has been soaring.

The Ministry of Agriculture says anyone caught with a hamster will be fined up to 30m dong ($1,900) - almost double the average annual wage in Vietnam.
The authorities say the creatures are a potential source of disease. Officials have also expressed concern that the animals are imported from China and
Thailand without proper licensing or controls.

In a tropical Asian country like Vietnam, hamsters are not a traditional pet of choice. That role has normally been held by various types of fish.
But a combination of factors including growing incomes and the Chinese Year of the Rat have made the beady-eyed rodents highly desirable.

They have been trading for $10 to $20 each and are reported to be a hit with the young population of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, spawning a whole
sub-culture of hamster forums and hamster clubs.

But the authorities are concerned. Traded illegally over the Chinese or Thai borders, the hamsters are unlicensed and unchecked. The Ministry of Agriculture
has highlighted the risk of disease.

The animals are just one of many imports that escape adequate scrutiny or epidemiological control in Vietnam. A recent survey alarmingly showed that most
anti-malaria drugs - in Vietnam and other countries of the region - were fakes traced back to China.

And reports abound of other counterfeit or dangerous items sold for human consumption - including rather startling internet rumours of a trade in fake chicken's eggs.

With the Guns and Drug trade declining, Charlie branches out to Hamster Smuggling.... ::)

Old Ranger said:
With the Guns and Drug trade declining, Charlie branches out to Hamster Smuggling.... ::)

- Charlie don't get much U.S.O.

Back