• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Handgun and rifle for medical officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ballz said:
Absolutely, the drills performed properly will work every time. And since you understand what I am saying, you understand why learning, rather than memorizing, is much more effective to help candidates and all soldiers alike perform their drills properly every time. As of this summer, there were no in-depth lectures on the weapons.

I think your viewpoint might be influenced by your career.  If I read correctly, you are a medic or medical trade, in either trade of which you receive detailed lessons on all subjects.  You might have been expecting the same in-depth teaching when you got your weapons lessons. 

However, the weapons qualification is usually a one-day course, most of it behind hands-on physical skills.  There is no time for ballistics theory, history of firearms, or coaching skills, or battlefield tactics for hand-held weapons. 

If a particpant really wants to know more details, there are always lots of training manuals around that a motivated soldier can get ahold of and do more training on their own time so they wont forget their drills, or they can go to the library to learn more details about weapons and how they work.

Overall, lack of details shouldnt prevent learning to complete the simple drills, and, despite the appearance of complexity, weapons safety is enhanced by remembering three important rules.

1) Finger off trigger unless you intend to fire at a target or person.
2) Weapon on safe unless you intend to fire at a target or person.
3) Dont point it at anyone unless you intend to shoot them.

Following these three simple rules prevents a lot of ND's, but it takes individual practice of IA's to make sure none occur at all.

You could pay $8499 and head down to blackwater and take one of their CP courses before doing basic training.
You'll look like a high speed low drag gunfighter (and piss everyone off with your 'ya well in black water..) comments.

Asking about learning to use something before hand isn't always a bad thing. 

That why we have "PRE-plq" classes. (I learned to give drill before taking my course because you're expected to show up basically knowing how)
Lots of people study up before embarking on courses.  An officer cadet at my unit laid waste to a whole forest printing up pams and lesson plans and shit for his officers course. Before my TCCC couse started  I paid out of my own pocket and redid the st johns ambulance first aid course.

As far as C7's go, it's just not a good idea.  It's not very hard to learn how to use a C7. Couple of hours and you're relatively proficient at the drills. In the CF we extend it a few days with various classes.

It's best to go in, get instruction, learn the army way and then get further training.  If you get instruction from elsewhere you can't guarantee the quality or accuracy of what you're being taught.

ONE big issue with teaching weapons drill's on basic training however is that it won't always be combat arms or 'shooters' teaching drills.  Or even support soldiers whom are proficient with weapons as many of them are.  Sometimes you get instructors who haven't touched a weapon in years or whom themselves have been taught bad drills/ethics..  (Don't really worry about this or that, you'll get a pistol to carry in KAF, you'll never use it)

Greymatters said:
I think your viewpoint might be influenced by your career.  If I read correctly, you are a medic or medical trade, in either trade of which you receive detailed lessons on all subjects.  You might have been expecting the same in-depth teaching when you got your weapons lessons.

No I'm en route to infantry, which could also explain why I want to know it inside out / am of the opinion that everybody should.

Anyway, DEAD HORSE PEOPLE! :nod:

MedTech said:
Physicians and Nurses who commission in to the H Svc PRL will undergo a modified basic.
Not always true - we had a doctor and a nurse on my BOTC - equal amounts of beasting handed out to all.  :-)

Your training WILL also include the C7, 9mm side arm, and whatever other small arms the H Svc has thought would be good to train you on now. However, I can see you reciving nothing more then the TOETs on C9, C6, SRAAW (L), SRAAW (M), and grenades. 

None of these weapons systems are covered on any version of BOTC/BOTP

Zoomie said:
Not always true - we had a doctor and a nurse on my BOTC - equal amounts of beasting handed out to all.  :-)
Were they commissioning into the Health Services Primary Reserve List? Or were they joining the reg force? If not, then MedTech's statement is not in any way invalidated by your anecdote.
None of these weapons systems are covered on any version of BOTC/BOTP
Again, unless you've been involved with the modified basic training given to MOs and NOs joining the Health Services Primary Reserve List, then it's entirely possible that you just aren't aware of a version of BMOQ that covers these weapons.

There's sure a pile of people running around in circles, pissing in each other's corn flakes. Perhaps when someone decides to go get the official policy, and post it with links, we'll open this back up. Until then, you'll all have to find another subject to do your one-upmanship in. Enough 'personal' opinion has been posted here.

Locked (until the above criteria is met)

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back