• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Having long finger nails an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commitment217

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering about this because I'm a few possible weeks away from being in the reserves. I tend to keep my finger nails long because i usually forget to cut them. Now I'm a guy and you know how other guys react to guys with long finger nails, especially one of my friend who got pissed off at me for not cutting my nails during a spar with him because I cut his legs a few times by accident. Anyways just wondering if the military will care or not if a soldier had long finger nails.

I don't leave them long on purpose, I just sometimes tend to forget about them. Also I feel more confortable with medium length finger nails than very short ones that most guys cut to, so my finger nails grow back longer than other guy's nails would.

Thanks for answering, and I know this seems kinda a gay question (wtf a guy care about his nails?), but I'm really curious.

You have stated the reason they are long is you forget to cut them, so stop forgetting and make it a routine task.  ::)

As for if long finger nails is an issue in the military, someone else will have to help you. However, I find that shorter nails are better hygiene wise.

I am not trying to sound harsh,but what a stupid question. Yes the army will care. Long fingernails would be a hygiene issue. If you showed up on a course I was instructing on with nails like (pardon me ladies) a girl, you would be told to get rid of them soonest. You would not forget because I would remind you daily. Be a man a cut your nails.

What you'll be doing will tend to shorten them naturally - forgetting won't be an issue.

If you're REALLY that worried about your manicure, perhaps an alternate career choice may be worth considering.

Apparently if you play classical guitar you can claim you need long fingernails to pluck guitar strings (used by an AF Major who was a former boss)

Once you complete BMQ, you can request to remuster to flaminco guitarist. Your nails will make you a suitable candidate.

Pardon? We don't have a flaminco guitarist trade? How about telephone sanitizers? Come on, we've still got tons of PAffOs and JAGs though, right?  ;D

Edit: damn; beat me. ;)

Journeyman said:
Once you complete BMQ, you can request to remuster to flaminco guitarist. Your nails will make you a suitable candidate.

Pardon? We don't have a flaminco guitarist trade? How about telephone sanitizers? Come on, we've still got tons of PAffOs and JAGs though, right?  ;D

Edit: damn; beat me. ;)

Esteban!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ah this thread made my day.

Ah, I wouldnt laugh yet... might be room for a flaminco guitarist in the CF band...

Centurian1985 said:
Apparently if you play classical guitar you can claim you need long fingernails to pluck guitar strings (used by an AF Major who was a former boss)
Once he becomes a Major... he can try to use that excuse again.......

in the meantime, there will be plenty of opportunities to break em by natural means.
long nails are a hazard to the individual - let alone his mates..........
(and his gloves won't fit very well either)

This has to be a joke...otherwise how did it make it past 3 replies ?

Just when i thought i heard everything  ::)

The problem with long fingernails (besides the fact that men shouldn't have long fingernails) is that when doing manual labour, you run the risk of catching, breaking, or otherwise messing them up. Have a big chunk out of a nail, then catch it on a cam net or your rucksack strap or something, and "Voila" fingernail torn off, and an unhappy little soldier.

Now, to the meat of your question - if you can't "remember" your personal hygiene, why would the military have any confidence that you will "remember" other stuff?

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back