• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

heart rate

kr1kit

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been upping my working out in preparation for BMQ later on this month, so about 5-6 days a week at the gym.
I've been told that my heart rate for fat lose is around 136, but i can't seem to get it that low. Whenever im on the treadmill or cross trainer or anything else, my heart rate is usually above 160 into the cardio zone.
My goal is to lose abit more fat while gaining alot more cardio strength, so is it better for me to stay in the cardio zone, or try to drop down to the fat lose heart rate zone.

Even when i slow down and breathe slowly, it seems impossible to drop my heart rate.

Here's how to calculate your target heart rate:

Your profile says you're 18 years old.

220 - 18 = 202.  That's your absoulte maximum heart rate.  Stay below this unless your wrestling a bear and the bear is winning.

202 X 0.65 = 131.  That's the low end of your fat burning training zone
202 X 0.75 = 152.  That's the high end of your fat burning training zone.  Above this you're into "cardio land".
202 x 0.85 = 172.  That's the high end of your cardio training zone.  Above this and you've gone anaerobic.

Hope this helps.

Haggis said:
220 - 18 = 202.  That's your absoulte maximum heart rate.  Stay below this unless your wrestling a bear and the bear is winning.

You sir, owe me a new laptop

:rofl:

Running the Lahr Trimdich in prep for forced March Team (1987 - 1991), my rate at the top one year was 52 beats in 15 seconds.

Times four = 208

My age was 32 to 37 (whatever year it hapenned).

So my absolute max allowable HR was at the most (220 - 32 = ) 188.

Ooooops...

:o

Absolute heart rate maximums are personal, it depends on the individual, those are good ballparks tho. Too keep it very simple, don't worry about heart rate too much... If you double your resting heart rate for 20 minutes a day, you will lose weight (with a proper diet and appropriate caloric intake)

Honestly? Don't think too much... just worry about working hard, eating clean and let your body worry about the science.

Oh... and something to remember when working out is, it doesn't have to be fun to be fun. So have fun training :)

TCBF said:
Running the Lahr Trimdich in prep for forced March Team (1987 - 1991), my rate at the top one year was 52 beats in 15 seconds.
Times four = 208
My age was 32 to 37 (whatever year it hapenned).
So my absolute max allowable HR was at the most (220 - 32 = ) 188.
Ooooops...
:o

So, the bear lost???  :salute:

Munxcub said:
Absolute heart rate maximums are personal, it depends on the individual, those are good ballparks tho.

I'm 47 and usually train in the mid 140's to low 150's (0.80 to 0.90).  During an Ironman in 2002 (when I was 42), I clocked 182 BPM during the ruck march.  That's 103% on the reactor Cap'n!

Think about something called Rating of Perceived Exertion.  Using this and your heart rate as a guide, ask yourself three questions:

1.  How hard do I think I'm training?
2.  Can I push harder?
3. How long can I keep this up?

Oh, and have fun!

Good ballparks for "normal" (read sedentary) people...  ;) For me 220-25 is 195... I hit that as peaks regularly, but for averages I usually maintain 170-180+. Other systems fail before I can get my average higher heh...

kr1kit said:
I've been upping my working out in preparation for BMQ later on this month, so about 5-6 days a week at the gym.
I've been told that my heart rate for fat lose is around 136, but i can't seem to get it that low. Whenever im on the treadmill or cross trainer or anything else, my heart rate is usually above 160 into the cardio zone.
My goal is to lose abit more fat while gaining alot more cardio strength, so is it better for me to stay in the cardio zone, or try to drop down to the fat lose heart rate zone.

Even when i slow down and breathe slowly, it seems impossible to drop my heart rate.

Don't get overly concerned with whole cardio/fatloss zone thing, you will lose fat in either.  Just get that heart rate up.

Haggis said:
... That's 103% on the reactor Cap'n!

- And my Dylithium crystals dinna can take it!

Munxcub said:
... Other systems fail before I can get my average higher heh...

- The flashing "Other Systems Failing" LED warning lights seem to illuminate more of our lives as we gracefully age.

Haggis said:
Here's how to calculate your target heart rate:

Your profile says you're 18 years old.

220 - 18 = 202.  That's your absolute maximum heart rate.  Stay below this unless your wrestling a bear and the bear is winning.

202 X 0.65 = 131.  That's the low end of your fat burning training zone
202 X 0.75 = 152.  That's the high end of your fat burning training zone.  Above this you're into "cardio land".
202 x 0.85 = 172.  That's the high end of your cardio training zone.  Above this and you've gone anaerobic.

Hope this helps.
Answer for kr1kit
There is no absolute max HR.  That is an estimated age predicted max.  This number depends on fitness levels, as we are not all the same fitness level regardless if we are the same age.  Next, forget about "fat burning zones".  You should be training within 60-90 % of your HRR (heart rate reserve).  220-age - resting heart rate * (60-90%) + RHR.  This will give you a more accurate zone because it takes into account what kind of shape you are in (ie. a lower RHR means you are in better shape).  Next, a "fat burning zone" would be 40-50%, and within this area you do burn a greater percentage of total calories from fat, but in the long run, training at a higher intensity (60-90%) you will burn more total fat and more calories than at a lower intensity.  Not to mention, you will improve your cardiovascular fitness as well.  An anaerobic zone would be no more than 10-30 seconds of activity (depending on which anaerobic energy system).  Again, depending on the level of fitness, people can train well over 90% for extended periods of time.  Hope that helps.

pspforester said:
Answer for kr1kit
There is no absolute max HR.  That is an estimated age predicted max.  This number depends on fitness levels, as we ...  Hope that helps.

Nope. I like Haggis's answer better. You just confused things, but that's ok. I'll stick with the targets I have. :salute:

recceguy said:
Nope. I like Haggis's answer better. You just confused things, but that's ok. I'll stick with the targets I have. :salute:
60-90% is the CSEP and  ACSM guideline.  220-age-RHR * (60-90%) + RHR = THR zone (training HR zone).
ie: 36 years old and resting HR of 56 bpm (beats per minute).
220-36-54 =130  130*60%=78  78+54=132, which is the bottom end.
220-36-54=130    130*90%=117  117+54=171, which is the top end.

Simple, and a more accurate way to train.  Like I said before, there is no absolute max HR, over 90% is not anaerobic, and "fat burning zones" are lower.  It is all relative to the individual (ie. what their RHR is and what kind of shape they are in). :salute:

pspforester said:
Answer for kr1kit
There is no absolute max HR.  That is an estimated age predicted max.  This number depends on fitness levels, as we are not all the same fitness level regardless if we are the same age.  Next, forget about "fat burning zones". 

And that in 2 lines is the best answer to the initial question.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
And that in 2 lines is the best answer to the initial question.
I was trying to give a more accurate way to find a training heart rate zone. I was also trying to shed some light on the "fat burning zone".  I'll keep it simple from now on.  Thanks.

Back