• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heater meals

DiamondDarryl said:
I will never eat another heater meal. Ever. After 2 weeks on them i was eating cashews and jerky for every meal. And that juice was insane.

By juice you mean Grape drink/syrup right? :-X

I wonder whats for supper tonight,meat and gravy with junkfood,or meat gravy and junk.

Sugary butter cookies.Actual name.

By far the worst food ever.

I can agree these Heater Meals weren't the best choice of rations.  1300 Calories per meal, and most meals averaged around 900 calories of fat. I guess saving $12 a meal is worth more than our health.  Oh and good news... We will be seeing Heater Meals in Wainwright and good old Mexican Sewage Water "Rico Springs."

Yep, cheaper than IMPs ...  ;)

(But not 12 bucks a meal less expensive ...)

Thanks for awakening the nightmares...ARRRGGHHH Southwest Chicken and Rice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maverick894 said:
Aren't MREs $18 a package?

Heater meals come in cases of 12 meals. IMPs come in cases of 10 meals.

I'll post the exact price per case up when I get back to work next Wednesday (unless someone out there does it first), but each of our case meal costs differs.

Suppers @ XX/case
Lunchs @ XX/case
Breakys @ XX/case

Last time I checked, breakies were running about 100 bucks per case divided by 10 meals per = 10 bucks / meal -- a tad bit hard for Heater Meals to be 12 bucks cheaper each.

Ahhh here's a recent story link ... (I knew I'd seen something recent & public which was also in the 10 buck range ... but will post up the exact costs as per above upon my return):

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=897d12aa-13ad-44e0-a9fe-b1a661b8c445&k=41239

(from this link!! http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/69523.0;all) <--- probably where I recall seeing it from!  :D

Each meal pack contains a hefty 1,200 to 1,400 calories, about what an active soldier requires in the field. Unrefrigerated, they have shelf lives of three years. Each meal costs taxpayers $9.85; one million are consumed each year by soldiers, sailors and flyers.

I think we should do a "supersize me" like test with these things. I know we had some super sized soldiers by the end of texas

Maverick894 said:
I can agree these Heater Meals weren't the best choice of rations.  1300 Calories per meal, and most meals averaged around 900 calories of fat. I guess saving $12 a meal is worth more than our health.  Oh and good news... We will be seeing Heater Meals in Wainwright and good old Mexican Sewage Water "Rico Springs."

Rico Springs was not mexican.

It was bottled in Roswell New mexico.

Land of the crash site man...Surprised the bottle didnt have a alien on it or something for marketing.

DiamondDarryl said:
I think we should do a "supersize me" like test with these things. I know we had some super sized soldiers by the end of texas

And prior....they'll be CLAIMING it was heater meals I bet...

I actually lost weight on the ex,but honestly I believe it was muscle mass due to lack of protein.I lost 8 lbs over the course of the ex.

...and gained proably 5 on the R&R night...beer...pizza...wings...strippers.

X-mo-1979 said:
...and gained proably 5 on the R&R night...beer...pizza...wings...strippers.

How can you gain weigh with strippers ? I would have guess a bit of cardio, so loss of weigh...

/puzzled

Maverick894 said:
How about the stuff that had no labels on it.

Most likely Mexican sewer water.

Man it was fun storing 600 bottles of water in my vehicle. ;D

"Throw out the ammo,we gotta store heatermeals and a tractor trailer load of water bottles." ;D

However the water bottles were great,adding in the flavor packets.A lot better than drinking out of those green 5 liter cans....that YOU KNOW some driver has urinated in at some point.

Just the quantity it was supplied in was a little excessive lol.

Lets not forget the heater meal breakfast....pancakes and sausage......

Yrys said:
How can you gain weigh with strippers ? I would have guess a bit of cardio, so loss of weigh...

/puzzled

Sitting stagnant in a chair for hours on end causes a catabolic effect on the body!!Losing muscle and gaining fat ;D

MedTech said:
You gus brought strippers on the Ex?! :O

Yep every troop had 2 dropped off at the running replen every night.Gun staves makes a pretty good field expedient pole.

Nahh on the R&R in El paso.(side story I thought the 2 dollar bills were counterfit at the strip club..cause I never seen em before.Everytime we bought beer they gave us back 2 dollar bills.So I suggested to the guys USE ALL OF EM!It was a shady looking dive we went to on the border.Turns out the 2 dollar bills are legit..who knew!)

dapaterson said:
There are restrictions on importing food into the USA - and despite some occasional grumbles to the contrary, IMPs are considered as food items.

Rather than trying to get FDA authority to import IMPs (with byzantine regulations and accounting procedures required if they do issue a permit - and that's not guaranteed), we generally acquire MREs when in the USA.

I don't know what happened with the G4 side of the house on this one - though I suspect the US may be running low on MREs and left us to buy commercial.

It wasn't an issue for South Bound Trooper in Virginia last month.  I ate IMP's the whole time.

Back