• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hey - We are hearing that Canada is/are DESTROYING over 67,000 FNC1 and FNC2s

KevinB said:
Those of us who went thru with the FN are dinosasurs -- they have been out of service since the VERY early 90's.   Retraining troops to use them is inefficient especially when some have a hard enough time mastering the C7/C8 series.

The main reason they should let you keep your service rifle as a parting gift.
Just like the Swed's(I believe), keep it stowed away in case you get called up for a local insergency.  Yep, I was also a Boy Scout way back when.

Old Ranger....
not the Swedes....
All male adults of Swtzerland are members of the army between the ages of 15 and 55 (or something to that effect) and yes, they all have their uniform and service weapon stored at home... but that's pretty much it.

And I don't see any advantage to having every Tom Dick & Harry who has served alongside me to be packing a service rifle @ home. They're dangerous enough as it is without the extra firepower.

IMHO

i can see a few problems with the sv wpns going home....remember that  jerk on your whatever course and he never cleaned his weapon and  could never put it back together in a timely manner?
he would have FNC1A1 or C7A1 or whateversion, sitting in his storage room, it would be the same colour of rust as aship that  sat on the bottom on the ocean for 70 years, he would not know where any  of the mags were, the bolt would be being used as a paper weight  and he  would be the first guy  to get the call back and they would have to give him another working wpn for the tasking. the guy who kept his wpn in perfect shape would never get called back.

do not get me wrong , I enjoyed the FN family of weapons more then any other family  i was dissappointed when they did not go to the FN 5.56 weapon but i was not on the buying trip. i missed that  one, and a few other buying trips, i got on the paper clip trip, and i got lots of them

Exactly who many of us that went thru with the FN are in a position to deployed as a DM with no additional training?

I think soldiers should be allows to purchase their service rifle/pistol when they retire...

Kevin...
I concurr about the dubiousness of any one of us being fit to deploy with a C1 without a lot of brushing up

With respect to buying our Service rifle upon retirement.... I have no problem about you having it... not sure how I'd feel about your son or some niece ending up with it and not knowing what to do with it.

The licensing provisions of the relevant statutes are fairly stringent in that regard.

Ultimately, a semi-auto .308 is a semi-auto .308.  No logical reason why an FN is Prohibited, and a Chicom M-14 is non-restricted.

Licencing may work, registratrion is a joke.

Tom

i was told the FN family was too easy  to change over to full auto so that is why it was prohibited.....i am sure a weapon could prove this myth right or wrong

FormerHorseGuard said:
i was told the FN family was too easy   to change over to full auto so that is why it was prohibited.....i am sure a weapon could prove this myth right or wrong
Turn a C1 to full auto?
well - there was that old matchstick trick..... and yes - very much automatic
though it would then be full auto or safe.... with no inbetween
the Barel of the C1 was not heavy enough to justify / support auto.... so you'd be looking to mess up your personal weapon...

Moo Mooo? Cowlike but not very dinosaur like ..........

Out with the Old and in with the new.
So they get rid of all of these things then what are they going to mothball to put in their place?
Seems we would have an empty corner in a warehouse somewhere

lets fill it.

FormerHorseGuard said:
i was told the FN family was too easy   to change over to full auto so that is why it was prohibited.....i am sure a weapon could prove this myth right or wrong
Sure, get a C-2 selector switch and barrel....Good to go!

"i was told the FN family was too easy  to change over to full auto so that is why it was prohibited.....i am sure a weapon could prove this myth right or wrong"

No, anything is easy to mod, not just an FN.  Allegedly, one was involved in an 'incident' so all 8000 in Canada are now prohibited.  The incident did not necessarily involve firing at all, let alone bursts.

Of course, the Mini 14 is still non-restricted, despite the best efforts of Ghamil Gharbi (a.k.a. Marc Lepine) and Wendy Cukier.

"Sure, get a C-2 selector switch and barrel....Good to go!"

- Nope, you still need to change another part, but the secret is safe with me!

Tom

It's a pretty minor change...  ;D and like TCBF it is safe with me.
As far as changing to full auto it is even possible to modify a Lee Enfield No. 3 to be a full auto firearm.  The ANZAC Howell and Charlton LMGs stand as examples of that work.

A folded piece of paper(5mm by 5mm 3 mm thick) placed between the safety sear was all that one needed to do. As far as retaining the C1A1 as "war stocks", I am not sure they would be up to any war tasking. The last C1 I had(1L4 032) was a worn out rifle, and thats being kind. As a member of  B Coy 3VP, we deployed for a Medicine Man serial with the Brits in BATUS in 86, and we had so many BLRed rifles, it wasnt funny, broken and cracked gas blocks,sights falling off, cracked recievers, etc etc. They just were too old and worn out to keep up.  

You are right Tom, there is still yet another small part. C2 change levers are not the only answer, and we are not talking safety sears  ;D.

However, back in 1983 when the FN FAL and variants went restricted, it was a preventitive measure, as at that time there were thousands of Aussie L1A1s being imported thru Lever Arms (Van BC) and other sources, even offering 'investor packs' of 4 rifles w/EIS. The Cdn govt did not wnat its general law abiding gun owning populus to openly have such rifles without restriction.

Then later in the 90's they went prohibited. The key to selective fire capability is a safety sear in the upper reciever. In the USA, this milled spot on the reciever has been deleted in the manufacturing process (a BATF thing), so the rifle can never fire other than semi auto. However in Canada, a FN FAL and variant is just that, regardless of milled slots for safety sears or not, and all are now prohibited.

Many Cdn imported rifles were sold w/sears, and some later were sold without sears and a small area ground away on the b/blk carrier where it engages the s/sear. This did nothing, but disfigure the rifle part (although rendereing a quick fix for conversion). An argument for the sear was brought forward, as it enabled the rifle not to fire when out of bty, where as one without a sear could possibly do so. There was never any law related to such removal of parts, as far as Saskatchewan anyways.

When I lived in Canada, I at one time had 1 8L C1A1, 2 Indian minty 1A1s, 1 Aussie L1A1, 1 Brit L1A1 and 1 Aussie L2A1. All had s/sears and were in their original configuartion, with the exception of the L2, which had basic semi-auto parts and change lever. I never had a problem, even with the countless re-registering becuase of an incompetant system.

Our own honwesty provided a ruse for the sneaky Liberal federal government to confiscate and further restrict firearms in Canada, and the criminals using stolen, or illegally imported guns don't care about honesty, do they.

Its only going to get worse, andI hate to asy I told ya so. One day soon, the only guns in Canada will be owned by police, Defence Force and criminals, and thats fast approaching, and will come sooner than later.

Cheers,

Wes

"Its only going to get worse, andI hate to asy I told ya so. One day soon, the only guns in Canada will be owned by police, Defence Force and criminals, and thats fast approaching, and will come sooner than later."
i thought this was here now. i was away  in the states for a long time and never took my  wpns with me and now i am screwed i cannot register them as i cannot explain why  i never did, i have to get all the paperwork and hope my  lawyer can fix it up for me

Hate to say it Former, but if any of them are prohibited types, you'll loose them for sure, as for regular long arms, you should have no problems in registering them.

Have fun fighting Big Brother, but remember, they have unlimited resources, we as respectful law abiding citizens do not.

I wish you luck.

Wes

TCBF said:
- Nope, you still need to change another part, but the secret is safe with me!

Tom

I guess it's safe with me as well.......cause I can't think of it at this time :)

At least you can take pleasure in knowing this is going to drive me (more) crazy until I remember.

Ben

A lot of CF C1A1's did not need the short XXXXXX pin swap as they had them (at least a few I played with did...)

I had a beautiful L1A1 redone with Cdn parts and unissued CF wood furniture  :'(  Sold when I got rid of my 12(5) guns...

Tsk tsk, Kevin that's almost too much information!  There should probably be a "don't try this at home, kiddies"  warning.  It probably isn't appropriate for us to get into discussion of techniques that might tempt someone into doing something, well "bad."  The next thing you know someone will be saying, "...yeah I learned full-auto conversion techniques on Army.ca..." - you get the idea.

To get back to the point of the thread, it is a real shame that these rifles are being scrapped.  Certainly many were getting rough, but even as late as 1988, I remember seeing some very nice 8L series C1A1s in excellent condition.  The SARP was well under way by then and I hate to think that those fine rifles are going to the scrap heap.  :'(

Back