• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HF - Lost art or Lost Cause

Is HF necessary on todays battlefield?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CDN Aviator said:
CP-140 has SATCOM both for voice and data

Good to know.... can you re-configure that during flight to get the hockey games??  ;D

Navalsnipr said:
Good to know.... can you re-configure that during flight to get the hockey games??   ;D

We get our scores sent to us a CRATT usualy

Ex-Dragoon said:
Don't forget its more then the guys in the green that use HF, its also us Naval types who use it as well. We would be foolish to drop it.

OK.....I'm 'Green', but I thought that the Navy was using UHF more often than HF, or do I have all my "HF's" confused........which wouldn't surprise me as I only use them and sometimes break them......never fix them.  

Depends on the ranges involved...we use HF, UHF and SHF all the time these days.

George Wallace said:
OK.....I'm 'Green', but I thought that the Navy was using UHF more often than HF, or do I have all my "HF's" confused........which wouldn't surprise me as I only use them and sometimes break them......never fix them. 

HF - Pretty much world wide depending on current propagation
UHF - Line of Sight
VHF - Just over the horizon

Ex-Dragoon said:
If you are lucky.....

I hate HF, 7 hours on a headset on TG ReP HF and you want an ear drum transplant.....

That's why aviation invented something called SELCAL :P

Max

The Sea King has an HF set straight out of the 50's.  No SELCAL....just hours and hours of static.  Which is why we make the AES Op monitor it!  :D

VHF in my experience works up to 15-20 nautical miles. I've seen in certain parts of the world the range reduced and increased up to 30-40 nautical miles (Tropospheric Ducting) when we were operating in the Souther Mediterranean regions.

SHF = Super High Frequency, used in satellite comms which yields a good good bandwidth of up to 512KBps

SeaKingTacco said:
The Sea King has an HF set straight out of the 50's.  No SELCAL....just hours and hours of static.  Which is why we make the AES Op monitor it!  :D
Then you do have a SELCAL, it's just called an AES Op in your airframe :D

Max

Navalsnipr said:
VHF in my experience works up to 15-20 nautical miles. I've seen in certain parts of the world the range reduced and increased up to 30-40 nautical miles (Tropospheric Ducting) when we were operating in the Souther Mediterranean regions.

SHF = Super High Frequency, used in satellite comms which yields a good good bandwidth of up to 512KBps

It depends on the height above ground of the emmiting antenna and the height above ground of the receiving antenna.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Then you do have a SELCAL, it's just called an AES Op in your airframe :D

Max

Geez maybe thats who we need in the Ops Room, a couple of Aes Ops. Gawd knows the Sea pigs don't fly that much anyways, might as well get the air crew doing something :D

Let's see?  I've talked to Range Control in Dundurn, Saskatchewan from Landry Crossing in Petawawa.  I've talked to Range Control on their "Push" in Ft Benning Georgia from the top of the Lawfield Corridor in Gagetown.  All on HF.  Now that was good "Skip".  Now we are talking all kinds of things.  Harmonics.  Ionosphere.  Atmosphere.  Curvature of the Earth.  Weather conditions...........and the characteristics of Radio Waves and many other things I don't remember from my Math and Physics days.

Back