• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Saskatoon - drug use trials

pbi said:
Unless the CPO's word is not to be trusted (then why, pray tell, was he brought aboard...?)

I've been trying for the last couple of days actually, to find a link to background on Chief Hearns, for those that don't know him.  But I've had no luck on the internet and haven't had recent access to the intranet, which I'm sure would have info on him.

I do know though that he is a CPO1 and some people may recognize his name, as he was the Chief of BRT school for many years in Borden.

To be clear the CO of SAS was not promoted out of his job. He is still very much a LCdr and the CO of ORI.

I think it's important we maintain some perspective here as well - the courts martial have not concluded for all of the accused. Until then, I would suggest, It's premature to level any sort of condemnation on anyone short of those already proven (or pleaded) guilty.

Once the final shoe drops, then I think we'll all be in a better position to decide if, in our OPINIONS, justice was served.

In my own opinion, the CF has a pretty vested interest in at least appearing to be doing something about drug/alcohol abuse. Fact of the matter is, if the entire fleet was subjected to mandatory testing I think we'd have many, many ships tied up alongside.

NEW POST EDIT: CPO1 Hearns, I can attest, is an excellent person. I cannot, and would not, speak to his experience in KINGSTON class ships

Cronicbny said:
NEW POST EDIT: CPO1 Hearns, I can attest, is an excellent person. I cannot, and would not, speak to his experience in KINGSTON class ships

Chief Hearns is old school ex reg force, spent a number of years in the BRT school. I believe his last reg posting was Coxswain of the PROVIDER.  He just finished as Coxn of the HMCS Shawinigan for the coordinated OJT program. He is a no nonsense individual and has no problem laying a charge (that's why they sent him to the Saskatoon ).

Stoker said:
Chief Hearns is old school ex reg force, spent a number of years in the BRT school. I believe his last reg posting was Coxswain of the PROVIDER.  He just finished as Coxn of the HMCS Shawinigan for the coordinated OJT program. He is a no nonsense individual and has no problem laying a charge (that's why they sent him to the Saskatoon ).

I hope he's not a dying breed. With the kinds of problems we have now and the ops we are engaged in we need some folks who are not afraid to use the code of service discipline as it was intended.

From what I have seen, P1 coxswains on the ship are not the way to go. Usually they're too inexperienced or are not willing to lay a charge. Usually if a charge does get laid, a couple of hundred dollars for a fine is not a deterrent. Kids make a lot of money these days.

Stoker said:
From what I have seen, P1 coxswains on the ship are not the way to go. Usually they're too inexperienced or are not willing to lay a charge. Usually if a charge does get laid, a couple of hundred dollars for a fine is not a deterrent. Kids make a lot of money these days.

Just curious why you said the bolded part...wasn't the Coxn 'during the time service offenses were committed" a CPO1?  ie CPO1 Carlson?

Maybe I missed something...again...

Actually quite a few Coxn's are PO1's, as Carlson was. I believe he was promoted to Chief just before he got busted.

He was promoted to CPO2 before he got charged, and immediately demoted after, he was still around the jetty as a PO1 for a bit, and he wasn't a happy guy.  Apparently the  time for the crime isn't very fun.

I believe the reason he was "demoted" was he put up his Chiefs before the effective date which was in a few weeks. As soon as he was charged the powers to be told him to take them down and held his promotion, not a problem if he wasn't doing anything, but an embarrassment once he got charged.

This doesn't appear to be associated with HMCS Saskatoon, however it is still Esquimalt which is why I posted it within this thread.  Mods, not sure if you want to keep it here and maybe change the subject?

News Release
Esquimalt Sailors Charged With Trafficking
CFNIS 2007-07 - September 4, 2007

CFB ESQUIMALT, BC – The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) charged two sailors stationed at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt today, in relation to allegations of drug trafficking.

Ordinary Seaman Christopher Ellis, attached to the Canadian Forces Fleet School (Esquimalt) was charged with two counts of trafficking, contrary to Section 130 of the National Defence Act, pursuant to Section 5(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and two counts of drug use, contrary to Section 129 of the National Defence Act.  Theses charges are in relation to alleged trafficking and use of cocaine.

Ordinary Seaman Mathew Lee, also attached to the Canadian Forces Fleet School (Esquimalt) was charged with one count of trafficking, contrary to Section 130 of the National Defence Act, pursuant to Section 5(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.  This charge was also in relation to alleged trafficking in cocaine.

"The CFNIS is very proactive in drug investigations and in conjunction with the Base Military Police will continue to agressively investigate these incidents," said Lt. Col. William Garrick, Commanding Officer of the CFNIS.  "The Military Police take all allegations of drug abuse seriously and work closely with the CF chain of command to ensure a drug free environment."

The CFNIS is an independent Military Police unit with a mandate to investigate serious and sensitive matters in relation to National Defence property, DND employees and CF personnel serving in Canada and abroad.

airmich said:
"The CFNIS is very proactive in drug investigations and in conjunction with the Base Military Police will continue to agressively investigate these incidents," said Lt. Col. William Garrick, Commanding Officer of the CFNIS.  "The Military Police take all allegations of drug abuse seriously and work closely with the CF chain of command to ensure a drug free environment."

:rofl:

My ass

I knew Hern when he was a MS, then PO2. In both cases, I worked for him and I would agree that if he was sent over to Sask, it was probably to adjust a few attitudes. Couldn't think of a better guy for the job.

airmich said:

This is how that SHOULD read:

"The CF is very proactive in drug investigations and in conjunction with Base Health Services will start to conduct 100% drug screening of all personnel, regular force and reserve, employed in CANFLTPAC."

Sadly, we know that won't happen... though it would certainly put this issue to bed and make the CF look much more accountable.

Just my 2 cents

I wish I could say I was surprised when I read this in the paper yesterday...

Cronicbny said:
This is how that SHOULD read:

"The CF is very proactive in drug investigations and in conjunction with Base Health Services will start to conduct 100% drug screening of all personnel, regular force and reserve.
Fixed it for you...

Infidel-6 said:
Fixed it for you...

Agreed. Nothing to hide, nothing to lose.

Only problem of course is the chance of a false positive...  But then again, if you use the testing as a basis for genuine investigations then you're going somewhere.

We already received word of random testing at the school, so this should be quite interesting.

I also know the two OD's in question. One of them is not ever at CFFSE anymore...he is out east.
They were both under investigation for sometime though.

Former navy chief faces court-martial

By SCOTT SUTHERLAND
The Canadian Press

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 – Page A9

VICTORIA -- The Canadian sailor once in charge of discipline on HMCS Saskatoon faces court-martial today for allegedly being part of a cocaine-trafficking ring aboard the warship.

The military trial of former chief petty officer Robert Carlson comes on the heels of two more unrelated drug arrests at CFB Esquimalt early last month involving training personnel.

Mr. Carlson was the Saskatoon's coxswain and was the senior non-commissioned officer aboard at the time of his arrest.

He faces one count of trafficking under the National Defence Act and another count of having "behaved in a disgraceful manner."

A navy spokesman said Mr. Carlson has been released by the Canadian Forces.

"He will be court-martialled as a civilian, but he is still subject to the charges under the National Defence Act," said navy Lieutenant Paul Pendergast.

Mr. Carlson was the most senior of four crew members of HMCS Saskatoon charged after an independent military police unit launched an undercover sting operation in early 2006.

Former leading seaman Jason Ennis, 24, told his court-martial in August that about one-third of the crew were using cocaine and that cocaine was in regular use.

Mr. Ennis also told the military court he never used cocaine while serving aboard the warship. One charge of trafficking was stayed and he was found not guilty of the other and fined $2,000.

Mr. Ennis was released by the Canadian Forces, as were former Saskatoon crew members Brenda Murley and Sonya Robert.

Ms. Murley and Ms. Robert pleaded guilty to cocaine trafficking in the spring. Each was handed a suspended sentence and fined $500.

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service began looking into a suspected drug ring aboard the ship in the first days of January, 2006.

HMCS Saskatoon is one of the navy's six Kingston-class multitasking maritime coastal defence vessels in the Pacific fleet, based at CFB Esquimalt.

The base is also home to one destroyer, five frigates, a submarine and an ocean-going supply ship.

On Sept. 4. the National Investigation Service announced two more B.C. sailors, both attached to the Canadian Forces Fleet School at CFB Esquimalt, had been charged with selling cocaine.

Ordinary Seaman Christopher Ellis was charged with two counts of trafficking and two counts of drug use.

OS Seaman Matthew Lee was charged with one count of trafficking.

Back