• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How scientifically literate are you? Take the quiz

bridges said:
One of the best signature lines yet.  ;D

I'm still vexed at not knowing that Mars has moons but Mercury doesn't... or was it the other way around...

Thanks! That is kind of you to say. The two innermost planets (Mercury and Venus) don't have moons because their gravity wells can't retain any satellites so close to the sun.

I said:
The two innermost planets (Mercury and Venus) don't have moons because their gravity wells can't retain any satellites so close to the sun.

Makes sense - thanks.  And now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of hearing something like that in a science class as well.  Earth must be far enough & big enough to make it work. 

The other simple question that threw me (because I didn't pay attention to the atomic number) was that of oxygen being the most common element in the earth's crust by weight... is that because of all the water?

bridges said:
The other simple question that threw me (because I didn't pay attention to the atomic number) was that of oxygen being the most common element in the earth's crust by weight... is that because of all the water?

No, its because the primary composite minerals of the earths crust are composed oxides, specifically 60% SiO2(i.e.sand). Check out the link below for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_elements_in_Earth%27s_crust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_(geology)#Composition

Some interesting tables there.  Learning all sorts of stuff today; thanks collinscj043. 

bridges said:
Some interesting tables there.  Learning all sorts of stuff today; thanks collinscj043. 

No worries bridges, your welcome! Despite Wikipedia's rep it does have plenty of well sited and usefull info.

estoguy said:
39/50... not bad for a history major!  :nod:

Nice.  I was thinking the same about my foreign lit. & languages degree, when the browser shut itself down at 25/32.  ;D 

27 out of 50... retiring to a farm next year, so mankind is safe!

Back