• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hypocrite's oath: a draft doger's whining

He was conscripted with the Iraqi army.

Thing is, it I was him, and know how Saddam used his army units for mass human attacks, and the like, it's not a hearty prospect to stay and help. I would imagine there are whole worlds of differences in the treatment of soldiers between Iraq & the West.

Crantor said:
Please read the whole post before you call it BS.  He was conscripted with the Iraqi army.

Cheers.

So, do you happen to know what this particular man's thoughts were at the time of the invasion of Iraq? Was he for it? Would he have gone if ordered?

Cheers

whiskey601 said:
So, do you happen to know what this particular man's thoughts were at the time of the invasion of Iraq? Was he for it? Would he have gone if ordered?

Cheers

The 1st invasion? or the 2nd?

In the 1st one he was trying to escape Iraq.

If we are talking about whether or not he would have gone to Iraq if Canada was involved in the 2nd invasion, I don't know.  It's not a subject I approached him with or that he's discussed with me.  So to give you an accurate answer is a little difficult.  From what I know of his character, I think he would have gone had we been involved though. 

One thing hanging in the background, but never stated, is if these people were willing to flee when the going got tough the first time, how reliable would they be ever again? Do they really contribute to their communities in Canada, or do they run and hide whenever their neighbours need help?

I am willing to bet the good "doctor" is only in it for the money, and would you really trust him not to cut and run if you started having health issues under his care (maybe not physically running, but sending you off on a never ending series of referrals and perhaps offloading you to a new doctor....)

Very interesting point a_majoor, never thought about it from that angle.  Me no, I would never trust anyone, who cut and run from a "Western" army (just to clarify, someone who deserted from Saddam Insane's military or a similar one, I would cut a little slack), most especially with my own life.

Yes, quite interesting points indeed.  This Doctor no doubt gave the pledge of allegiance when he was American and no doubt had to swear an oath of allegiance upon recieving Canadian citizenship.

How much would you value the oath he took considering he broke the last one?

Crantor said:
Yes, quite interesting points indeed.  This Doctor no doubt gave the pledge of allegiance when he was American and no doubt had to swear an oath of allegiance upon recieving Canadian citizenship.

None at all. Nor would I attempt to try and apply a string of Coffee House Intellectual Rhetoric in his defense.

Crantor said:
Yes, quite interesting points indeed.  This Doctor no doubt gave the pledge of allegiance when he was American and no doubt had to swear an oath of allegiance upon receiving Canadian citizenship.

I have a bit of a religious problem with this fellow.  To an Asatru, two types of persons are beneath contempt, cowards and oath-breakers.  This coward is already an oathbreaker, so I really cannot see how his pledging his (already forsworn) loyalty to us can be a benefit.  On a practical level, this is a man who is comfortable with turning his back on the people that birthed him, educated and protected him.  We are simply his employer of the moment, his flag of convenience.  I would say I expect as much loyalty from a dockside hooker, but some of them can surprise you and show some.

mainerjohnthomas said:
     I have a bit of a religious problem with this fellow.  To an Asatru, two types of persons are beneath contempt, cowards and oath-breakers.  This coward is already an oathbreaker, so I really cannot see how his pledging his (already forsworn) loyalty to us can be a benefit.  On a practical level, this is a man who is comfortable with turning his back on the people that birthed him, educated and protected him.  We are simply his employer of the moment, his flag of convenience.  I would say I expect as much loyalty from a dockside hooker, but some of them can surprise you and show some.

Sir !, you do Dockside Hookers a great disservice by mentioning or comparing them to that person. I trust you realize they are 25 levels higher on the social scale.

Cheers.

For shame, dragging dockside hookers into this.  For what it's worth, my two cents:

The good Doctor turned his back on his society, oaths and obligations to run to Canada (hardly the first coward to do so, nor the last).  He now creates some heroic, noble reason for betrayal that doesn't wash with the facts (re: dates of conscription, duties overseas, etc.).  We offer him shelter (or rather, our former and unlamented PM PE Trudeau did in our name) and a chance to start over again.

However, even now he won't shut the hell up; he still plays the victim and continues to condemn his old country, proclaiming his self-righteousness by contrasting his choice to run with America's decision to stand and fight.

He may be a great doctor, but I wouldn't let him past my doorstep.

I suspect the Doc's decision had nothing whatsoever do do with his beliefs. I suspect he just balied to Canada because he could collect a cushy doctor's salary without having to do any period of compulsory service, either through the draft in the states (which appears to have been slowing when he left) or some other form of service (with the Dept of Veteran's Affairs).

This guy was given a silver spoon by a society he turned his back on. In my view, he therefore has no moral authority or leadership whatsoever compared to Spec New, who at least withstood the consequences of his beliefs.

$0.02.

As a Canadian and Viet Nam vet, I'm often asked what my feelings are towards draft dodgers and deserters. I've finally come to the conclusion that I've wasted to much time talking about these twits. They made their choice, I made mine. I'm proud of my choice and my service. I could give a damn about them. They made a decision, no amount of explanation or justification will change what they did. Let them live with their conscience. Let the rest of us get on with life and forget them. They are not worthy of our interest

ExSarge said:
As a Canadian and Viet Nam vet, I'm often asked what my feelings are towards draft dodgers and deserters. I've finally come to the conclusion that I've wasted to much time talking about these twits. They made their choice, I made mine. I'm proud of my choice and my service. I could give a damn about them. They made a decision, no amount of explanation or justification will change what they did. Let them live with their conscience. Let the rest of us get on with life and forget them. They are not worthy of our interest

+1

Back