• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"I Had Soldiers Break into Tears" says ombudsman

scm77

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this shoud go in another section. :-[

'I had soldiers break into tears'

BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA - Canada's troops patrolling war-torn Kabul have sent a sobering message home â ” "we are overtasked, overburdened and worn out."

The messenger, military ombudsman André Marin, is adding his voice to the alarm after spending two days with the soldiers last week.

"In the short period I was there I saw them very focused, motivated to do their job but they're just plain exhausted and overrun by the burden," Marin told the Toronto Star in his first interview following his visit.

Cutbacks to the Canadian contingent have meant that the soldiers are doing double duty and working flat-out, Marin said.

Marin said everyone is feeling the load. However two Edmonton-based units in particular are feeling the pinch â ” the Lord Strathcona's Horse regiment, which is doing reconnaissance, and the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, which provides the force protection.

Troops call it the "plug and play soldier" â ” working 10 hours in one job and then being "plugged" in somewhere else for another shift to fill in the staffing gaps.

"It's taking its toll on these people. I saw it first-hand," said Marin, who has served as ombudsman since 1998.

"I had two soldiers break into tears as they were explaining what they were doing. I had never seen that before.

``One of my jobs is to be a voice for the soldiers and what I heard very loudly is ... this is a red flag that they wanted me to carry back."

The situation is so serious that Marin says it's essential that commanders consider a "formal decompression" period for this rotation of troops to give them time to unwind before they're returned home to Canada and their families in February.

Canada cut its troop strength in Afghanistan to 700 from 2,000 in August to give the overstretched army a breather, Gen. Ray Henault, chief of defence staff, said at the time.

But Marin suggested those cuts went too far and says that while the rest of the army recuperates, the soldiers in Afghanistan are paying the price.

"They've gone too far into the withdrawal and they feel that they're left to carry an enormous load," Marin said.

Their mission is to provide reconnaissance and surveillance for the International Security Assistance Force that is helping to keep the peace in the Afghan capital.

It was Marin's second trip to Kabul â ” his third to Afghanistan â ” and he says he was struck by the change.

This time, despite finding a first-rate camp, good food, "top-of-line" equipment and a "rock-solid" organization, he said the morale is being taxed by the workload.

"I was really struck and moved by the enormous weight that's on their shoulders right now."

Marin said two problems are to blame. First, three reconnaissance platoons assigned to surveillance duties have been given the work of four.

"The consensus that they would like to see the reconnaissance team operate at its normal four-platoon size," he said.

Second, while Canadians have vacated much of Camp Julien for use by troops from other nations, the smaller force still has the big job of running the base.

Marin cited the example of clerks in the administration section, who have been working 10-hour shifts, seven days a week.

"They do a normal shift and then, after that, they're reassigned to other sections such as to provide security for the base, manning the gates. ... This is added to their normal days," Marin said, noting that the second shift can stretch up to six hours.

The complaints, aired during town hall meetings and one-on-one chats, go far beyond the usual gripes of overwork, Marin said. And they cut across all ranks, from private right up the chain of command.

Marin also visited the secret Canadian base in the Middle East region that's used as a transit and rest stop for troops headed to and from Kabul. Military personnel there told him how the Canadian troops seem like "zombies" when they arrive from Kabul for their occasional breaks.

Marin said he's not worried the staffing shortage will cause safety concerns because they're "professional soldiers, dedicated to their job."

But he's deeply worried that the stress will show itself when they return home in February. That's why he says it's essential that commanders consider "decompression" time for the troops.

He's also urging military commanders to review the staffing plan for the next rotation of soldiers, due to ship out in February from CFB Petawawa.

Marin says he was so concerned about what he saw in Kabul that he's booked a meeting tomorrow with Brig-Gen. Marc Caron, assistant chief of land staff, who is planning to visit Afghanistan this month.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1101682208362&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&DPL=JvsODSH7Aw0u%2bwoRO%2bYKDSblFxAk%2bwoVO%2bYODSbhFxAg%2bwkRO%2bUPDSXiFxMh%2bwkZO%2bUCDSTmFxIk%2bw8RO%2bMKDSPkFxUj%2bw8UO%2bMNDSPgFxUv%2bw8YO%2bILDSLkFxQh1w%3d%3d&tacodalogin=yes

Is it really any wonder?

Poor clerks.....having to work a 16 hour day  :'(

Regards

Is it really any wonder?

Poor clerks.....having to work a 16 hour day 

WHATS UP WITH THAT, WE ARE PART OF A TEAM, HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO NOT GET FEED, OR YOUR PAY IS FU*KED BECAUSE SOME POOR CLERK IS NOT THERE, Bud I have been on both sides, 7 years in the combat arms and 14 in support trade, long after the combat arms are home and in bed the support trades are working there a** off, so the next time you want to slag the support trades remember its not the infantry that orders stock, or gets the bullets to theater, or makes sure there is money in your acct.......

I would expect more from a Sr member on this site 

Relax AG.  I think it was more a commentary on....well, you don't hear the expression "Crying like a soldier" very often.

We all know an army marches on its stomach, and with the pay wagons.

Thanks Gunnar for the clarity I lacked....  ;)

Thought that everone's "Sarcasm Detector" would have gone off  ;D

Geeeesh....  ::)

Regards

I wonder what the workday was like for the boys at Vimy Ridge, Ortona or Kapyong?

Or in your Corp's history.....

Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Phillipines.....

Regards

I have no doubt that this is well-intentioned propaganda.

I doubt anyone was really in tears, but what will the public really relate to?  Canadian soldiers do what they're told, but it brings to mind a quote from the DIEPPE miniseries.

General Crerar "Your men will follow you in with peashooters, Ham."

General Roberts "But do they have to?"

I have no doubt the troops in Kabul will soldier as expected under adverse conditions; my question would be the same as the actor playing Hamilton Roberts.

If this bit of propaganda makes the 5000 man "peacekeeping" brigade a reality, so much the better.

I'll tell you one thing for certain.  I've never met a Marine clerk that won't dig their own fighting hole, shoot a man dead at 500 yards with iron sight,  be competent on a security patrol and know which way to place a Claymore.

I understand firsthand how a deployment can be a real bag-drive, but what these people are bitching about is pretty weak.  10 hour days behind a desk or computer screen?  Then 6 hours on sentry?  You're still getting 8 hours sleep.  You've got fresh, hot meals.  You've got access all day in the orderly room to email and DSN lines to call home.  What's to complain about?

Pathetic.

Good rebuttal Matt.....

Perhapse all this "Tired Soldiers" news will get the BG(-) brought back up to proper size?

It has been noted that the BG is undersized....especially on the Recce side, very common knowledge.

On Roto 0 the Sqn was down sized from a full Sqn to two 7 car troops. No Assault Troop, Adm Troop, or 3rd troop to get the job done.

Talk about stretching the guys a bit thin.

Latest scuttlebutt is the BG will be brought up to full size for Roto 4 and on, seeing as how Bosnia is pretty much shut down (compared to this time last year)

We'll have to wait and see.

Regards

bossi said:
Care to bet some money on that?

Care to share some inside info?  ;)

Sounds like you have some  :D

Regards

I would expect more from a Sr member on this site 

Bud, I think you need to slow down and read more, speak less, before you go off on another member of this site...Especially that one who has been there and done the job...

Take this for what its worth!

Slim

I would suggest you take the article with a grain of salt.  Moreover, the Ombudsman has his own agenda that he is pursuing.    

Perhapse all this "Tired Soldiers" news will get the BG(-) brought back up to proper size?  It has been noted that the BG is undersized....especially on the Recce side, very common knowledge.  On Roto 0 the Sqn was down sized from a full Sqn to two 7 car troops. No Assault Troop, Adm Troop, or 3rd troop to get the job done.  Talk about stretching the guys a bit thin.  Latest scuttlebutt is the BG will be brought up to full size for Roto 4 and on, seeing as how Bosnia is pretty much shut down (compared to this time last year)

Franko, the recce sqn added another 5 car troop for Roto 2 (3 tps - 15 Coyote) and is much more capable than the sqn deployed on Roto 0 and 1.  They are doing some stellar work which was to be expected.  I meant to ask, I thought a doctrinal coyote troop was 5 cars vice 7?   ???  I'm sure someone told me that Roto 1 just had two 5 car troops.

Please note that there isn't a BG in theatre rather it is the embodiment of the "plug and play" approach to deployments.  Recce Sqn augmetented by an infantry recce platoon, B Coy, 1 PPCLI (-) as force protection, an NSE based on 1 Svc Bn, HSS Coy based on 1 Fd Amb, an Engr Sqn from 1 CER are the main elements of Task Force Kabul located in Camp Julien.  

Finally, unless things have changed in the last week there are no major TO&E revisions for Roto 3.

Cheers,

It hasn't, dispite the reports from the recce and the TF Comd campaining to increse the numbers of 031 for all roles, medical staff, and support.

I know for a fact that the 3rd platoon for D&S has been denied, as well as the request for additional medics for the dismounted tasks.

And I believe that people can be brought to tears due to the fustration of attempting to do a high priority, high stress role like camp security properly when your tired, cold and homesick, and your sect is 1-2 pers undermanned due to leave and/or illness.

Trust me when I say I have seen grown men and good soldiers cry for less.......

Armymedic said:
And I believe that people can be brought to tears due to the fustration of attempting to do a high priority, high stress role like camp security properly when your tired, cold and homesick, and your sect is 1-2 pers undermanned due to leave and/or illness.

Trust me when I say I have seen grown men and good soldiers cry for less.......

*Rant Mode ON*
You can all call me an inconsiderate cold jackass for saying this, but WTF?   As long as your not getting shot at, it's a good day in my books.  8 hours sleep, fresh rats, showers, email and telephone access is gravy.

I'm interested to see what anybody who was with the 3VP Battlegroup in 2002 in Afghanistan or the CAR Battlegroup in Somalia in 1993 have to say about this.
*Rant Mode OFF*

Everybody has their own "breaking point".
Show some compassion for fellow soldiers and back off.

I don't know.  I am watching more "Sabre Sqn" guys getting cut and more clerks and officers added.  Now to take Matts side a little, our clerks are not at all like Marine clerks.  Marines are riflemen first, while our support trades are not.  Therein lies the problem.

GW

Not sure what is actually going on in Afghanistan right now, but for some perspective, onboard a ship at sea a typical watchkeeper does 12 hours on watch every 24 hours (in a 1-in-2 watch routine) and then frequently does all of the other departmental work on top of the that.   A routine day is often 16-18 hours.   Even as member of the air department (where legend holds that we sleep 18 hours a day or more   :)) my typical day at sea more often than not ran 14-16 hours, which is as much as I am legally allowed to do (the Air Force, Thank God, has crew rest rules- the Navy does not).   This is fairly normal peacetime sailing routine...

My point?   I have no doubt that soldiers actually cried in front of the budman.   I am left wondering what the real issue was.   Was it really working a 16 hour day?   Or is there something else that requires addressing in the lives of these soldiers?   I guess only the chain of command on the ground can really know for sure...

Cheers

Back