• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I was told from a instructor based on a release we are entitled to...

silentspanky

Inactive
Reaction score
Key government jobs? What are they exactly? For example I am in basic and failed/medical or VR. What services can I go out too? The education would be high school diploma at best and unskilled as no one passed basic. They are not being as educational about it. But that's life in basic! I am just looking for a good idea just in case and contact info on where the best resources are. And seeing as this is related to released or other I think this is the right forum area.

I just need help with the info. 6 were sent home on pt fail and 1 medical. And 3 already released on missing too many classes and were re-coursed. I still see them every now and then, and this info could help me as a just in case for a backup incase i injure myself or vr for personal reasons (family medical) or give them the info.

Well thanks for listening, I just hope I have a good valid answer =)

For a CF member with less than one year in the CF, who has failed out of BMQ, it is very highly unlikely that they would have any entitlement to to any level of government hiring program.

you could run for office in the next federal election.

How is that for a "key government job" ?

Cheers,

Entitled to *what* for failing basic or being a VR?  good grief.

Medical release might be different. 

The word "entitled" in this thread has my blood pressure up.  Why would you think the government owes you anything for failing BASIC TRAINING.

::)

If you fail or are VRd, you are entitled to look for a job or go to the HRDC center as far as I know.  Whoever the instructor is telling people this should be kicked in the junk.

So jobs as a commissionaire are false? I was under an impression that no matter the experience public government jobs were still open to ex-military? Regardless of fact. If you want to kick my warrant in the nuts, your grave. If there were a list and resources which I DID ask for. Disregarding experience. What and where are they? HRDC is closed as its a weekend day. I need more information then this jargon.

Hmmmm....you feel entitled because you tried something and failed.....

I think there is another thread here somewhere about us supporting a whole herd of incompetents etc..... there's always the everlasting job of asking "do you want fries with that?"

Yes.  Your Warrant should be kicked in the Junk if this is in fact what he told you.  More than likely, you only heard what you wanted to hear.  I am sure that some Instructors at St Jean have also presented Mcdonald's application forms to some of their weaker students (a very common practice).  Does this mean the former CF members have a intitlement to jobs at Mcdonalds?  Of course not. 

If you are a Training Failure from the CF, your chances are actually less likely to get a job.

If you are leaving the CF, for any reason, with less than one year Service, then you have the exact same chances as anyone else in the job market to get a job (anywhere, not just in the Government), unless you have a very bad Release clause.

Just because you have spent a day or more in St Jean, gives you NO entitlement to any of the job opportunities you have suggested "former CF members" may be entitled to.

You can APPLY for a job.  You aren't ENTITLED to that job because you failed BMQ or VRd.

Maybe try rewording your question if you don't want people jumping all over the Entitled part of it.

Why?

Certain members who are released for certain reasons ARE able to get Federal Gov jobs at a higher priority but let me assure you, they served above and beyond the conditions you have described in your first post.

Re: "my warrant told me/your grave" comment.  My Chief told me I wasn't eligible for a OT under COTP 2 years ago.  He was wrong.  Only the official documented policies and directives governing this are, effectively, correct.  As well as those who refer to them.  Ask your WO for the reference to this policy he is speaking about then...see what you get back, k?

What you are entitled to, if you fail BMQ or VR, is what is being written in reply posts to your questions.  Notice I didn't mention Medical Release, as I have no idea on the ABCs of that.

Failing BMQ does NOT make you ex-military!

Not trying to be rude, rather trying nip potential walting in the bud.

Cheers

SB

Members who are medically released (regardless of when the injury happened, including during BMQ) have a right to appointment in the Public Service with priority to most other persons. Check the Public Service Employment Regulations.

Failing or VRing puts one at the back of the EI lineup, if one qualifies.

silentspanky said:
So jobs as a commissionaire are false? I was under an impression that no matter the experience public government jobs were still open to ex-military?
The commissionaire will take your application, but (I believe) a person with just a month or two months of service in the military will not  impress them....it might actually set up some red flags.

Ok I took a deep breath before replying to this.  First to the orriginal poster.  I am sure your WO seems to be the be all of God like powers.  But as one I will say we can and do make mistakes or as was pointed out by others.  You could of heard what you wanted to hear..... The Commisionairs are a option to not only ex military.  They use to be the exlusive domain for that, however are accepting applicants who have not served.  I would not call a job in the "corp's" as a premium one and I say that as my Dad currently is one.  ( along with many a ex MWO, WO, and so on.......)

The flavour of the post comes from your initial post.  You are asking a valid question, however you are putting it in a way that comes accross as you are looking for your entitlements.  The facts as I understand them are,,,,,,,,, you are looking at a VR, you have not passed basic, you have heard from who ever that Good Gov't jobs are available for those who have served............. You are missing that the intent for that was to provide serving military members a option for employment if they could no longer meet the universality of service........ Also wounded people comming back from Afghan tended to put the guilt on some bureaucrats to enact that hiring preferance.  ( Of course you probably missed the stink that some unions were making about it)

Most on this site are were or wish to be serving members.  We tend to have a mindset about those who VR.  This comes from pretty well all those serving having known a few and have pretty set in stone opinions about those people.  ( I dont mean you as I do not know you)  Hence the coloring of some of the replies. 

In the end I have to add.  Your future and further employment is as it should be, in your hands to form.  Do not rely preferential treatment to guide you. Pick your path in life and follow it through.  Or join those who fall off the road and bemoan thier fate.

Here is how it works as I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong as I am a layman.

VR-Sorry, you are out of luck for first kick at the can for a Government job.  BTW these are Federal government jobs we are talking about.  Not Provincial, Regoinal or Municipal.

Medical Release-Yes you are entitled to first kick at the can.  If you fall and break your leg the second after you are sworn in and are permanently disabled in the opinion of a Dr, be they medical or Psycological then you are good.  You must go through the medical release process of course. 

Am I correct???

"Medical Release-Yes you are entitled to first kick at the can"

You must meet the prerequisites, qualifications, and experience of the position applied for. You will also do the interviews and testing.

Guide on Priority Administration in the PSC

Public Service Employment Regulations (SOR/2005-334)

Scroll down to section 8.

Canadian Forces and RCMP
8. (1) The following persons who are released or discharged, as the case may be, for medical reasons have a right to appointment in priority to all persons, other than those referred to in section 40 and subsections 41(1) and (4) of the Act, to any position in the public service for which the Commission is satisfied that the person meets the essential qualifications referred to in paragraph 30(2)(a) of the Act, if the person requests the priority within five years after being released or discharged:
(a) a member of the regular force of the Canadian Forces;
(b) a member of the Primary Reserve of the Canadian Forces on full-time Class B Reserve Service of more than 180 consecutive days;
(c) a member of the reserve force of the Canadian Forces on Class C Reserve Service;
(d) a member of the special force of the Canadian Forces;
(e) a member of the Primary Reserve of the Canadian Forces on Class A or Class B Reserve Service of 180 days or less, if the medical reasons are attributable to service;
(f) a member, within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act, of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; and
(g) a member of the Reserve of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, if the medical reasons are attributable to service.

Entitlement period
(2) The entitlement period begins on the day on which a competent authority certifies that the person is ready to return to work, if that day is within five years after the day on which they were medically released or discharged, and ends on the earliest of
(a) the day that is two years after the day of certification,
(b) the day on which the person is appointed to a position in the public service for an indeterminate period, and
(c) the day on which the person declines an appointment to a position in the public service for an indeterminate period without good and sufficient reason.

You will be in touch with a case manager, and members from the local IPSC, who will guide you through the process.

Hope this helps.

dileas

tess

Spanky - here is my point of view:

I have been on the other side of the desk and have written merit criteria for civilian positions. This is standard for all federal positions. When you are released medically I believe you are referring to what we call a pri hiring list. When I have a position that i'm about to post, HRO in Halifax sends me the list of geographically close pers along with their resumes. I will interview this (these) individuals. If at the end of the interview process no one can meet the criteria for my job, it will be posted and I go through it all again.

My point is that even though one may qualify to be on the pri list, one may not qualify for the position. Many 20 year plus Jr/Sr NCO's bring a lot of experience to the table for lots of different positions - just by virtue of their time in. If you have, say 6 weeks experience as a recruit - chances are you will be beaten every time. The caveat here is that you may have some experience on civi street (prior to entering the CF) which may help.

Good luck to you and remember - if you don't try something, you will never succeed at anything.

Back