• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Pusser said:
As for the development of combat clothing, I would argue that it has indeed been an evolutionary process and that even today there are elements that still exist that find their roots in many generations past, hence pockets originally designed for use with a weapon that has been out of service for over 25 years...

The last of the FNs were retired only in '90-'91 (less those with e .22 inserts, which kept going well beyond), so we're not quite up to 25 years...

(Or, in other words, I'm not THAT old!)

Pusser said:
As for the development of combat clothing, I would argue that it has indeed been an evolutionary process and that even today there are elements that still exist that find their roots in many generations past, hence pockets originally designed for use with a weapon that has been out of service for over 25 years...

Interestingly, there was an interim combat shirt design that had flat pockets, and the lower pockets removed. The upper pockets were changed because of the very reason you stated, and the lower ones because it was assumed a soldier would never need them with the use of webbing/tac vest. It was pretty much universally despised. While our current breast pocket was designed to fit an FN magazine, apparently they also work quite well for cigarette packages, cell phones, and any other miscellaneous things people put in them, all without distorting the look of the shirt. Notably, that interim shirt design never went into general issue.

Of course, we could see a nicely tailored combat shirt and, when soldiers don't have webbing pouches to put thing in and Sergeants Major don't want to see flat shirt pockets distorted by cigarette packages and things, soldiers can always go back to hiding those things inside the loose blousing of their pants (although that's before my time) .... oh, wait, we're trashing that concept here too.

As with many problems, there are many simple solutions which will not satisfy all customers.

I do remember those god awful combat shirts they tried to give us. I was told to go over and exchange old style for the "new" ones. I didn't outright say no, but I delayed long enough to see the recall of those "gara trooper" shirts.

The way I see thing is that we have the disruptive pattern we have now because our PRIMARY mission is to defend Canada. Think about that.

We have Arid kit because we happened to need it. 

Jim, those were the Mk3 combat shirt if I recall.  I had them issued to me when I joined the reserves in 92.

Hey, I've got an idea.. we could have a dress that we wear in garrison, we could call it "garrison dress".  And then we can wear our combats for the field?

Bzzliteyr said:
Hey, I've got an idea.. we could have a dress that we wear in garrison, we could call it "garrison dress".  And then we can wear our combats for the field?

Bite your tongue!  >:(  ;)

I had one of those shirts when I went to Germany.  I wore it tucked in until I was told not to.  So I wore it untucked until the Base SM saw me and told me to tuck it in.  It looked like a maternity top.  ::)

Love the collar.

Once they reach the first units I'm gonna hop on Ebay to pick some up.

That cadet pattern looks like the same cut uniform I'm wearing, but the cam pattern looks more like MARPAT than CADPAT.

Wolf117 said:
I use multicam to hunt with and find it far more effective than CADPAT in the fall timeframe....
So you've hunted in CADPAT (as a comparison)?

How do you accurately guage the effectiveness of camoflauge while hunting anyway? 

I'm no camo expert, but isn't there reasons (such as the difference between human and animal eyesight)  why most hunting apparel hasn't switched over to digital patterns, or even military patterns, in general?

I will however agree that multicam is a excellent pattern for the terrain of Southern Afghanistan.  Often I wished I had more TW or multicam (I generally had samplings of both and AR) to help break up my visual signature anytime I was in and around vegetation.

Grimaldus said:
Love the collar.

Once they reach the first units I'm gonna hop on Ebay to pick some up.

Sadly, that'll probably be the fastest way to get them. Maybe they should release them to the Clothing Online program? Something else to spend points on.

Technoviking said:
That cadet pattern looks like the same cut uniform I'm wearing, but the cam pattern looks more like MARPAT than CADPAT.

Sure I try  :stirpot: and you get all truthful and technical. Sheesh ::)

Invisible Inc: just when you thought that Cad Pat or Multicam were the cat's cammy jammies. Like it that this guy is in Maple Ridge. Go (hide the world) Canada! :cdn::

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/07/invisible-inc/8523/1/

DirtyDog said:
How do you accurately guage the effectiveness of camoflauge while hunting anyway? 

I'm no camo expert, but isn't there reasons (such as the difference between human and animal eyesight)  why most hunting apparel hasn't switched over to digital patterns, or even military patterns, in general?

I was wondering the same thing about how to guage the effectiveness while hunting.

On another note, I read that there's evidence that the deer family in general can only see a different part of the colour spectrum altogether, which is why orange and red colours won't effect it. However they can see more colours that are not visible to humans out past the purples and whatnot. Anyway, the point was, you can wear all the camo you want, if you washed with the wrong laundry detergent you'd basically look like a big funkin glowstick walking around in the woods. ;D

ballz said:
I was wondering the same thing about how to gauge the effectiveness while hunting?

The two critical factors for the marketing of commercial camouflage patterns for hunting are:

a. Look Cool factor (LCF), and
b. Brand name.

Those are what opens wallets, because the deer never get a vote.

Not only are we changing uniform pattern, we are also changing some aspects of our drill; the new position of Attention will be as follows:

ICU.jpg

This will help convince the enemy that we have very strong core muscles, and that we are kept unbalanced at all times so they will not be able to affect us.

We will also go back to doing drill during firefights, to show the enemy that we are good in all aspects of Soldiering (unlike the taliban, who cannot do a proper present arms, let alone under fire)
The pic shows unbloused pants, but this will not be tolerated outside your own home for the next 20 years or so... This is much like the polar fleece jacket, which is authorized wear as an outer garment by CANLANDGEN, except in Wainwright where apparently the fleece jacket replaced the wool shirt which was not an outer garment.

Did somebody think about a hybrid shirt to go with the new ICU ?

Troopasaurus said:
Just open it tactically...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

Brilliant.

Not surprised the topic of boot blousing came up before the end of page 1.

Not trying to bring back the whole debate on the boot band thing,

But,

With your pants being bloused it will do the following:

1. Keep your legs drier when going through low water levels, there for keeping your motivation up ( better to have dry legs and wet feet then be completely soaked)

2. With the black boot design, it does look more professional, especially in garrison with someone with real nicely shawn up boots.

3. When in the field, it keeps the insects ( mosiquitos, flees, tick, mites, and god knows what else ) from bitting your legs, which causes irratation, pain, and suffering, which lowers a soldiers morale, not to mention a soldier paying more attention to his or her legs is a less effective soldier.

I will also say, when i was in Afghanistan i did have my pants unbloused, when i had them unbloused during my driving stint it was great because it gets damn hot in the vehicle when your stuck in it not able to get out like the dismounts. But when dismounted then you have the chance of bug bites and everything else that can crawl up your leg, so i did my best to keep them bloused when dismounted.

And for anyone who has their pants ride up on them when there in a vehicle. Its one of 2 things:

1. You put too much of your pants in the blousing, or.

2. You need longer pants.

Just my  :2c:

Back