• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry of Tomorrow

Kirkhill said:
By comparison how would Caesars Testudo have faired against those same skirmishers?

I'm sure his pal Crassus found that out at Carrhae when the Parthian's used his head as a prop for plays and inflicted shame upon Rome by seizing Legionary standards.

I really don't know where to go with this - I've come to the conclusion that there is no "trade secrets" to military victory; what worked yesterday most likely will fail tommorrow.  I can't think of a single example in history of a military force being unbeatable (short of a self-defeating nuclear salvo).  The only thing that seems certain is that if you are focusing inwards on shaping your force, the enemy is going to set the pace.

Hmmm.  The Spartans at Pylos were eventually done in by a flanking column of missile troops (once the Spartans had retreated to one end of the island and had relatively secure flanks).  A force caught in a crossfire is certainly in a bad spot.

Since Classical warfare is a little pet interest of mine I'll keep charging down this tangent, even though the word "future" is in the title of the thread.  Many armies were focused on one arm and specialized in one form of warfare.  The Persians favoured missile firing cavalry.  The Greeks favoured "heavy" infantry who engaged in shock combat on level ground with secure flanks.  Both had difficulties defeating the other.  Xenophon could protect himself against the Persians, but by the same token he lacked the mobility to take the fight to the enemy.  History has several examples of "western" armies that came to grief against mobile horse archer forces (the Romans being one).

The Romans are another interesting study.  Their infantry was very flexible and quite mobile, but their inferiority in cavalry led to many defeats against the Carthaginians under Hannibal.  Mass was certainly not an advantage at Cannae once the Roman cavalry wings were driven off by Hannibals's cavalry.  Encircled, the packed Romans were cut down. 

Going back a couple more years, Alexander has one of the only victories of a western army against mobile horse archers at the Jaxartes.  Alexander's army was a combined arms formation with heavy infantry, shock cavalry, light cavalry and elite light infantry.  This army could adapt to new situations (enemy and terrain), defeating contemporary Greeks, Persians, Scythians and Indians who all had different types of armies.  It had both mobility and a solid core to hinge the army on.  It could fight in open terrain and complex terrain and it could apapt to changing situations.

I would venture that our Army of Tomorrow should still strive to be combined arms, with each arm considering itself to be elite.  It must be able to work in all types of terrains.  It must have mobility and flexibility in addition to having access to firepower.  I think that our force will be able to destroy most things that it can see.  The trick will be finding the target.

Cheers,

2B

Near the beginning of this thread, I discussed the Rwandan People's Army "section attack". A short summary is their section is a 12 man grouping with two "assault groups" of riflemen and a "support group" with an RPK LMG and some RPG-7 rocket launchers. It is similar in a way to the USMC practice of 3X3 man teams per squad, and this was brought to mind after readign the article in the USMC Gazette that Infanteer brought forward in the "weapons and equipment" thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34547/post-271044.html#msg271044

The triangular section with one team devoted to support tasks with heavier and less mobile weapons seems to be a good starting point. The Marines were looking at it in terms of increasing the mobility of the assaulting troops since their SAW [our C-9] is bulky and tends to inhibit the mobility of advancing troops. A "C-9" group would provide overwatch, support and also can be tasked to do jobs like cut-offs for larger platoon level tasks such as woods clearings and assaulting buildings. The assault groups would then have their fire augmented by a lightweight machinegun like the Shrike or Ultimax 100 carried as part of the group.

The other reason to favor this approach is the increasing dispersion of sections and platoons as reffered to by LCol Banks in the CAJ, each section might be operating 5+ Km from the platoon base, so they need their own integral support fire. When operating dispersed, the sections could carry Carl-G or Javelin/Spike to provide the extra fire for bunker busting or dealing with hard targets. I would suggest the Spike because it has a thermal imaging sight, plus the ability to be used in FOG-M mode, giving the section the ability to do an "overflight" and see what is vexing them. Operating as a platoon, the Platoon 2I/C would still control the platoon support group with heavier weapons (GPMG, more missiles, 60mm mortar) to support the sections in their fight.

The down side of this approach is the integration of mechanization, since the sections and platoons will be larger, they will not fit into LAVs as presently laid out. We could say the LAV is the support team and take out the C-9 support group in mechanized sections, but this would lead to the section being firmly tied to their machine. The other work arounds would be to have each section split between two HMMVW type vehicles (probably practical in the low intensity end of Full Spectrum Ops), or design even larger APC/IFV vehicles to carry the troops and their kit (Achzarit, anyone?).

I'm sure that you're all tired of my bringing up 1944, but I was struck by a passage yesterday in Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy.  He describes one of the Canadian infantry regiments at Juno utilizing nine-man sections broken down into three teams.  Each team of three soldiers had an LMG (I assume a Bren).  Looked pretty fluid.

Perhaps this configuration was common, but I figure that even back then they debated organizations and tactics.

Cheers,

2B

2B

Could you provide a reference or context for your statement about sections being broken into groups of three men, each with a [Bren] gun? I have been through my copy and the only reference I could find to section and platoon organizations referred to the Regina Rifle Regiment, ". . . the three platoons, each carried in a separate landing-craft, ran for the sea wall. As they broke for cover, they split into their sections, three groups of ten men organized around the firepower of a light machine-gun."

In any case, I am not sure that such a temporary re-organization made a lot of sense. First, the rest of the battalion would have had to be stripped of Brens to provide the extra 72 (or 36 if only the two assault companies) weapons, and second, it would have created a tremendous training challenge, both before the landing and then, after the event, in both converting back to the normal organization and in absorbing replacements. I believe that at least part of the difficulties at Omaha Beach occurred because "higher" imposed a special organization on the assualt elements, including breaking up engineer units to scatter them in rifle platoons and companies. As a result, the tactics and doctrine were unfamiliar and cohesion suffered.

I won't venture into suggesting how we might approach new organizations today, first, because I am not an infantryman, and second becuase it is easier to predict the past than the future.

I'm afraid I've made a greivous error!  I shouldn't read/post so late.  If I could go back and edit my post I would, except that it makes a nice monument to humility.

Indeed, going back to the source, it was one LMG per section as per the quote you provided. 

I will now go and eat some humble pie (should crow be barbequed or baked?)

Your humbly,

2B

Roger that!

As an aside, the book is really good.  I can't believe I havn't read it till now.  My building at work has an outstanding library (Fort Frontenac) which I'm trying to take advantage of.  I might start up a little thread on military history about the DD tanks, but now back to the regularly scheduled "Infantry of Tomorrow."

2B

http://www.leavenworth.army.mil/milrev/download/English/MayJun05/odom.pdf

Interesting article; I think they are basing their move for small-unit reorganization on a good premise, chiefly that:

In transforming itself, the Army has not looked below the brigade level and has considered only minor changes at the battalion level.

...Battalions operate more like brigades,and the cascade of increasing complexity flows all the way down to the squad. But in looking at C2 issues and leader-to-led ratios, current Army experiments regard company, platoon, and squad structures as inviolate, although both OEF and OIF show that small-unit leaders face increased challenges

This would certainly be what LtCol Banks observed during his work with the American's deployed to OEF.   Anyways, the authors of the article based their recommendations off of special reports from the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) that focused on squad, platoon and company level operations across the spectrum of conflict.   Some highlights:

The study also looked at strengthening the collective experience in maneuver elements by shifting grades down one echelon to allow captains to command platoons and majors to command companies.

This is somewhat similar to how we do things.   Canada's ways of doing things seem to be validated by much of the American experience; such as shifting older, more experienced NCO's down to lower levels.   As well, a recent article in the Marine Corps Gazette by CWO3 Eby praised the "buddy system" within a four-man team - what is standard practice in the Canadian Army as the fire-team.

The article makes an interesting proposal of having a platoon of 4x14 man squads commanded by 2 sections - these are larger platoons, but this seems to me to be cramming to many "chiefs" down too low (3 officers in a Platoon).   I'd rather see more leadership pushed down to the junior ranks.

The article uses a principle of function to build small-units at the squad, platoon and company level:

As currently organized, the squad has one leader and two four-man fire teams. As troop-to-task ratios and countless rotations at the JRTC suggest, specialized missions in that nine-man organization often must be organized and rehearsed by special teams, placing additional strains on communications, soldier and team discipline, and soldier alertness.

....Most often, those specialized teams fall into the categories of assault, breach,and support.

Thus, squads are built around 3 teams (assault, breach, support - unfortunately the squad level diagrams are really blurry and hard to make out).   As if to vindicate what KevinB has been saying the whole time:

Command and control is better served with four-man teams acting as a natural building block for squad combat power.

Platoon's recieve an equal treatment, with an assault section of two assault squads and a support section with a breach squad and a support squad.   The breach squad is listed as having "breaching capabilities", which imply some sort of pioneer skills pushed down to the platoon level.   This is pretty similar to our current platoon layout, although the numbers proposed mean a much bigger and more robust platoon (65 soldiers):

Commanded and led by more senior leaders; organized to train to standard missions; and equipped to provide its own direct and indirect fire support; the two-section infantry platoon would become a pocket company for the Army in the COE.

Like the platoon, the company recieves robust organization:

Figure 4 shows a company organized in this way with two standard infantry platoons (assault), a heavy direct-fire platoon (support and breach), a heavy indirect-fire platoon (support), and a logistics platoon.

The "Heavy Direct-Fire Platoon" is interesting; it is essentially two sections (each with an AT and an MG squad) and an engineer squad; again, more engineering assets are pushed down (the diagrams for these platoons are messed up).   The "Heavy Indirect-Fire Platoon" has 4 mortar squads (2 of which have 120mm!).   Essentially, a mortar platoon (which is traditionally at battalion level) at the company level.   The company also has its own maintenance platoon (with maint., supply, and med sections).   This leads to a very robust company structure (at my count, over 250 troops).   The reasoning of the authors for strengthing the small-units of the Infantry?:

Today's brigades and squads have greater responsibilities, larger areas to cover, and more complex missions to deal with than the linear brigades and squads of the Cold War. In its transformation, the Army has not looked below the battalion and continues to believe small-unit leaders should be junior leaders.

The challenges to junior leaders at squad, platoon,and company levels are well known. If the Army's approach remains unchanged, subordinate small units with unchanged structures will face an even greater challenge when their higher headquarters realign.The ultimate bill-payers in this top-heavy, modular BCT metamorphosis will be the rifle squads, platoons, and companies that actually execute the missions.

Interesting article altogether; although I think the proposal of ballooning up small units to the point where they are no longer small and adding many more officers to the mix is not a good plan, there are some interesting points made that are probably worth examining in more detail in the Canadian context:

-   Is the organization of the section, platoon and company inviolate in transformation?   Are there better ways to do things at the small-unit level than using what are essentially WWII structures?

-   Can the level of combined arms be increased at company level and below (engineers, mortars, tactical HQs, int cells)?   The Americans are trying this in a few ways with the Stryker battalions, but will it work in the Light Infantry context as well?

-   Can sections/platoons be organized along more functional lines (assault/breach/support - my initial thoughts are that this tasking doesn't need to neccesarily need to drive organization)?

Let's hear your thoughts.

A quick glace through the Odom article made me remember the restructure of the Royal Marines in the UK.  Food for thought....

A commando is now commanded by a full colonel, as opposed to the lieutenant-colonels who command infantry battalions (and previously also commanded RM commandos).

In a commando, a Royal Marine is a member of "the team", a four-man fire team, the building block of commando operations. A Royal Marine works with his team in the field and lives with them in his accommodation (if he lives in barracks).

The three battalion-sized Royal Marine Commandos are each organized into six companies (themselves organised into platoon-sized troops) as follows:

One Command Company

One Logistic Company
a. A Echelon 1 (A Ech1)
b. A Echelon 2 (A Ech2)
c. FRT
d. RAP
e. B Echelon (B Ech)

Two Close Combat Companies
a. Company Headquarters (Coy HQ)
b. 3 Close Combat Troops (Troop HQ, 3 Rifle Sections, Manoeuvre Support Section)

Two Stand Off Companies
a. Company Headquarters (Coy HQ)
b. Heavy Machine Gun (HMG) Troop (0.5" heavy machine guns)
c. Anti-Tank Troop (Milan - to be replaced with Javelin)
d. Close Combat Troop

Taken From:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marines

Perhaps this is farther in the future, but with experiences such as those described by LCol Banks in the CAJ ("Three Block Warriors" http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/caj/documents/vol_08/iss_1/CAJ_vol8.1_05_e.pdf) and Robert Kaplan in "Imperial Grunts" indicating small section sized teams working alone may well be the wave of the future, the idea of a separate support ort heavy weapns section  (or platoon at company level) needs to be rethought. If I am operating a presence patrol and am either out of range (Col Banks speaks of being 5-30 km awayn from HQ), or in a complex environment which negates the range and power of support weapons (patrolling in the market place), then a support section or platoon might as well be back in Canada.

Perhaps the section itself needs to be reorged to achieve this result, and a 9 man section (3 X 3 man teams) is probably the practical size in terms of logistics, transportability and span of command. Certain changes or improvement to weapons systems will have to be made, but we might see the "prototypes" in terms of various SF weapons systems, such as the 5.56mm Shrike light assault gun, and a lightweight 7.62mm GPMG that is featured in the Equipment thread on this forum. Keeping infantry weapons that light, but increasing the robustness and making sure they are "soldier proof" will give sections lots of self contained firepower, and the extra manpower currently slated to go ito separate "support" sections and platoons will be available to provide incresed depth in operations (reserve forces, QRFs, D&S taskings, "surge" patrols etc.).

Heavier support weapons will probably migrate to platforms, either the troop carriers (anything from "jeeps" to IFVs), or robotic support vehicles simply because this provides mobility, stability and the ability to carry a worthwhile amount of ammunition.

Thanks for that little jim - I did find a little more information here.   The RM example does point to building companies around functional tasks (instead of standardizing them).   However, I am curious how things went at the platoon(troop)/section level - have they, like the article suggests, been considered above transformation?   I see the RM also builds around the 4-man team.

a_majoor said:
Perhaps this is farther in the future, but with experiences such as those described by LCol Banks in the CAJ ("Three Block Warriors" http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/caj/documents/vol_08/iss_1/CAJ_vol8.1_05_e.pdf) and Robert Kaplan in "Imperial Grunts" indicating small section sized teams working alone may well be the wave of the future, the idea of a separate support ort heavy weapns section   (or platoon at company level) needs to be rethought. If I am operating a presence patrol and am either out of range (Col Banks speaks of being 5-30 km awayn from HQ), or in a complex environment which negates the range and power of support weapons (patrolling in the market place), then a support section or platoon might as well be back in Canada.

Certainly a good point - the article proposes that each level of small-unit command (squad, platoon, company) be formed around the principle of assault, breach, and support.   The reason for affirming to this notion is that if engaged, it is shown that a small maneuver element relies on a large support element to establish "fire dominance" before making infiltration and being consolidated/exploited by the breach team (This is the tactical thrust made by LtCol Kilcullen in his papers here and here).   Platoon/Coy support may not be handy when the section is on its own (as per the example you provided), but a section built around the above principle may answer your above point.   Certainly, for operations when the platoon and company are together, the weapons sections/platoons are a valuable asset.

Perhaps the section itself needs to be reorged to achieve this result, and a 9 man section (3 X 3 man teams) is probably the practical size in terms of logistics, transportability and span of command. Certain changes or improvement to weapons systems will have to be made, but we might see the "prototypes" in terms of various SF weapons systems, such as the 5.56mm Shrike light assault gun, and a lightweight 7.62mm GPMG that is featured in the Equipment thread on this forum. Keeping infantry weapons that light, but increasing the robustness and making sure they are "soldier proof" will give sections lots of self contained firepower, and the extra manpower currently slated to go ito separate "support" sections and platoons will be available to provide incresed depth in operations (reserve forces, QRFs, D&S taskings, "surge" patrols etc.).

Sure, although I have a hard time opting for a 9 man team based on "threes" after I've read three separate articles that focus on the strength of the four-man "brick" as an essential building block for small-unit tasks.   I guess the question is 8 or 12 men; which is more suited to accomplish section level tasks?   12 certainly seems more robust, but 8 seems easier to adapt to a variety of transport that the Infantry might need to get into battle.  Aside from this, the issue of functional sections (as mentioned above) is interesting; it was how they existed when sections were first formed as tactical units by both sides in WWI.

ability to carry a worthwhile amount of ammunition.

That's the kicker when considering putting heavier weapon systems down to lower levels where the manpower might not be a "critical mass" for ensuring enough ammo carriage to allow the system to be effectively employed.   Perhaps #2's and #3's in the future will wear those exoskeleton's that were featured at AUSA, allowing them easily carry over 100lbs of ammunition.

Infanteer said:
Certainly a good point - the article proposes that each level of small-unit command (squad, platoon, company) be formed around the principle of assault, breach, and support.   The reason for affirming to this notion is that if engaged, it is shown that a small maneuver element relies on a large support element to establish "fire dominance" before making infiltration and being consolidated/exploited by the breach team (This is the tactical thrust made by LtCol Kilcullen in his papers here and here).   Platoon/Coy support may not be handy when the section is on its own (as per the example you provided), but a section built around the above principle may answer your above point.   Certainly, for operations when the platoon and company are together, the weapons sections/platoons are a valuable asset.

Too true. Perhaps we should not be dogmatic about assigning names or roles to particular sections and platoons. If we have a model which builds in a separate support section but are not engaged in the high end of full spectrum ops, then they can put the missiles and machine guns in the CQ's locker and be the reserve manpower pool instead.

Sure, although I have a hard time opting for a 9 man team based on "threes" after I've read three separate articles that focus on the strength of the four-man "brick" as an essential building block for small-unit tasks.   I guess the question is 8 or 12 men; which is more suited to accomplish section level tasks?   12 certainly seems more robust, but 8 seems easier to adapt to a variety of transport that the Infantry might need to get into battle.   Aside from this, the issue of functional sections (as mentioned above) is interesting; it was how they existed when sections were first formed as tactical units by both sides in WWI.

Nine is the compromise number. It allows for the sectioon to take on various premutations of groupings, is big enough to act on its own but is still small enough to fit into most section sized vehicles. This formation could be used in Light, Motor, Airmobile and Airborne formations. Only mechanized Infantry in IFVs would be unable to adopt this formation, since the weapons station and ammunition eats up so much interior room in the vehicle. The 3 X 3 formation can be configured as "assault, breach and support" teams.

That's the kicker when considering putting heavier weapon systems down to lower levels where the manpower might not be a "critical mass" for ensuring enough ammo carriage to allow the system to be effectively employed.   Perhaps #2's and #3's in the future will wear those exoskeleton's that were featured at AUSA, allowing them easily carry over 100lbs of ammunition.

I look forward to that day. In the mean time, instead of thinking of how to bring a Mk 19 Mod 3 AGL down to section level, replace bulky weapons like the C-9 with a Shrike, and the M-203 with something lighter (the HK grenade launcher, or "shoot through" rifle grenades) to deliver the same effects in a more practical package.

I just read in Jane's Defence that the Australian infantry has opted to reorganize into the fire team organization from the traditional section.  I believe this is the US Army squad-type fire teams they are switching to.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Section Leader and two Fire Teams of four infantrymen.

This doesn't answer Mountie's question but seeing as how he has reactivated this thread and reminded me of its existence I thought I would post this here.

I came across this while trying to relocate some info on WP for another thread.  The comments pertain to the preparations for 2 Para (UK) on their way to the Falklands in 1982.  Given the discussions about Light Infantry they seemed germain.

"Much thought was given to the use of the support weapons for in every unit there are apt to be conflicting interests here.  Individual companies often think that they want to have their own machine-gun, mortar and anti-tank weapons at their immediate behest, perhaps forgetting that there may be a price to pay in thus burdening themselves with a more heavily laden element which, if it is a part of the company, can limit the latter's speed across country just when that speed may be vital.  The characteristics of the weapons are such that fire can be more effective when they are sited at a distance from those they are supporting.  Moreover, it is often much easier to conceal an important fire unit if it is placed to the rear or the flank of a main infantry position.  A particularly dangerous concept is that the actual weapons should be kept together, concentrated, so as to produce a concentrated fire effect, but this "bunching" invites recognition from the enemy, running the risk of neutralization, if not destruction of all a battalion's support weapons.  However much the weapons are dispersed, when properly handled, and given good communications, they can produce support for any part of a battalion when it needs it most.  The distribution, siting and handling of these weapons has always been much better understood by our (the Brits) enemies than by most of the British Army; parachute battalions, who often by the nature of things will have to rely on their own support, ought to have very clear ideas.

One other aspect of the airborne soldier's particular problems that received much attention (during the voyage to the Falklands) was the treatment and care of the wounded.  Without a secure line of communication, it may often be difficult - indeed, sometimes impossible - to evacuate casualties, and unless those needing it can be given some treatment soon after being hit, they may not survive.  Wounded bodies need liquid put into them as soon as possible, and where it is not possible to use a drip, an enema may do the trick.  This is not perhaps something that can be practised on the unwounded in time of peace, but at least the knowledge of what should be done, and the means to do it, was given to all. In the event, considering the weather conditions that had to be borne by the wounded, the survival rate was phenomenal; the availability of helicopters for casualty evacuation also played a very large part in achieving this....."

Maj. Gen John Frost (British Army): 2 Para Falklands - The Battalion at War.

Maj. Gen Frost led the raids on Bruneval and the Primosole Bridge, fought his battalion in Tunisia and led 2 Para's defence of the Arnhem Bridge as brigade commander while waiting for XXX Corps to show up in September 1944.

I thought his comments about support weapons might occasion some interest and debate as might his comments about medical provisions for light forces.

Do his comments translate to a broader field: still based on a truly light, fit and fast moving company but with support extending past battalion weapons to all supporting weapons? Given proper handling "and good communications".  Maj. Gen. Frost knew something about being cut off.

At Goose Green the battalion was organized into 3 rifle companies of 3 platoons, a patrols company with the recce platoon and a patrols platoon, a support company of a Milan platoon, an MG-SF platoon and a mortar platoon.  In addition there was a Defence Platoon.

For the attack each of the rifle companies had an MFC, a FOO and an attached section of snipers from 59 Independent Commando Squadron (Royal Engineers - Engineers with Green Hats) recce troop.

The fire support base consisted of the Milan Platoon with 3 launchers and 17 missiles, the MG-SF platoon with 6 GPMGS (C6s) in the light role, the battalion snipers and a Naval Gunfire FOO. 

Mortar platoon brought forward two tubes but was hampered by the lack of ammunition.

Additional fire support was to be supplied by naval gunfire, distantly located 105mm guns, armed helicopters and Harriers ( most of it was ultimately unavailable when needed)

Additional carrying capacity was supplied by an attached troop of Assault Engineers

Another potential substitute for the C-9 is the Ultimax 100 from Charter Arms of Singapore. You can read a bit about it here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37025/post-303198.html#msg303198. This is pretty close to the idea of an "Automatic Rifle" as described earlier.

I find it a bit difficult to believe that the C-7 (M-16) family of weapons has never been superceded after all these years, but it would seem that the amount of "improvement" that is available from competing rifles is fairly marginal. Maybe a different concept of Infantry weapons needs to be explored.

Arthur:

Think how long the"Brown Bess" and the Lee Enfield soldiered on.  Other armies had their own equivalents.  The history of firearms appears to be long periods where one design dominates followed by a flurry of activity as new concepts are introduced, tested, discarded or modified.  After a hundred years of Brown Bess there was 50 years of confusion that involved Sneiders, Enfields, Martini-Henry's, Lee-Metfords, Lee-Enfields of various types before the Short Magazine Lee Enfield became the base line for another 50 years or so. 

The M16/C7 may just be at the same stage as the Bess and the SMLE or the K98, the Moisin-Nagant etc.  Those other weapons didn't change without a change in tactics and a change in the battlefield.  Its something of a circular argument as to whether technology drives tactics or tactics drives technology. Both derive from previous experience and current reality.  Has the battlefield or technology really changed since the end of WW2 as far as the infanteer is concerned?  That job is still done on feet, in small, dispersed groups, working from cover usually in both complex and open terrains.

Has there been any fundamental change in the use of infantry in the way there was during the Napoleonic wars where the argument between "push of pike" - the traditional role of infantry exemplified in Napoleon's Columns - and "rate of fire" - exemplified by Wellington's long, thin lines and Rifle screens - was decided in favour of firepower?  Since that time both technology and tactics have driven the infantry towards small, foot-borne "artillery" teams (in the sense that they engage the enemy at range with missiles),  that have the mobility of cavalry, rather than "pikemen" that solely engage the enemy
in close combat at knife point.

Kind of what I was trying to get at. While there are lots of rifles out there (I saw dozens of samples from almost every western arms company at AUSA, for example), in terms of functionality, there wasn't that much to differentiate between them.

If AUSA is any indication, many arms manufacturers are backing the "grenade launcher" concept. The USMC has already purchased a six shot revolver type grenade launcher, and various futuristic concepts based around the 25mm "airburst" munition were also in evidence (the "Objective Crew Served Weapon", XM 307 or whatever it is called this week, and the XM 25 http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_XM25,,00.html individual weapon). Is this really the way to go? I am not certain. There is a logic to this type of weapon, but some of the shortcomings are pretty obvious as well. We all have seen or know of instances where soldiers have had to get "up close and personal" as well, so we might see future soldiers armed with XM-25s fitted with a bayonet lug....

Back