• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Vehicles

So these then?

Or these?

This

Not this?

1967 Dodge Power Wagon for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1535199

The Dodge W350 was in consideration for the LSVW before the Ivaco was picked instead.

I really want to know who picked the Squeeky Shit Box.
Well it’s a long convoluted tale. From what I remember it failed a number of tests. Somehow it was adopted by the CAF.
It occasionally self ignited too

Well it’s a long convoluted tale. From what I remember it failed a number of tests. Somehow it was adopted by the CAF.
It occasionally self ignited too
I know the history on the tests. What I want to know is who the fuckstick was that thought it was any sort of reasonable replacement for the 5/4, and why we tested it after selecting it.

Most reasonable people run a competition that actually tests stuff - then makes an award.

I know the history on the tests. What I want to know is who the fuckstick was that thought it was any sort of reasonable replacement for the 5/4, and why we tested it after selecting it.

Most reasonable people run a competition that actually tests stuff - then makes an award.
Pork barreling military contracts is a Canadian tradition older than hockey and poutine. Reasonable rarely factors in when there are jobs and votes at stake.

Pork barreling military contracts is a Canadian tradition older than hockey and poutine. Reasonable rarely factors in when there are jobs and votes at stake.

This is the essence of government universally. Government contracts make people rich. Everywhere. Always have.

They don't make everyone rich though.

Ideally you get something that is good enough that you can work with it.

Supposedly it was Kim Campbell. The old rumour is that the factory was in either her riding or a cabinet minister's riding.

Speak of the Devil...

Not all Canadian inventions fly: Worthington​

While not exactly a Canadian innovation, Canada’s adoption in 1994 of the LSVW (Light Support Vehicle Wheeled) to replace the army’s 5/4 truck is one of those things DND would like to forget.

Canada was in line to buy 2,879 of these trucks from Western Star, based in Kelowna, B.C. The LSVW was an Italian-designed truck and relatively cheap. The vehicle went to the military’s Land Engineering Test Establishment (LETE) before Canada committed itself to the purchase.

LETE was one of the more valuable assets of DND, where imagination and innovation saved countless expenses. For example, LETE devised armoured floor plates for APCs that protected crews against land mines in the Balkans.

As for the LSVWs, they failed virtually all of LETE’s tests. For what it’s worth, I went to the LETE testing area in Orleans, near Ottawa, and attended some of the testing. The vehicle was top heavy, under-powered (115 horsepower), capable of only 40 km/h, its braking system was unreliable, access to the engine was difficult, but most of all it would not start in sub-zero weather. In other words, it verged on being a lemon.

Non-experts like myself wondered why Canada would buy an Italian-designed truck, when next door in the U.S., General Motors was producing the most effective and inexpensive army trucks in the world? The answer, of course, was to give the contract to a Kelowna firm, perhaps because the Conservative government wanted votes in B.C.

On the heels of LETE’s devastating critique and rejection of the LSVW as an adequate truck for the Canadian army, in 1994 the Chretien government shut down LETE, killed it, and new testing for the LSVW was shifted to the Nevada Automotive Testing Centre (NATC) in the U.S. where the vehicle passed with flying colours and was incorporated into the Canadian army.

It didn’t last its 20-year life expectancy. It lasted three years — by 1997 a search began for the next generation of truck.

DND is notorious for acquiring equipment that disappoints — and one could mention the Iltis as a replacement for Jeeps.

Speak of the Devil...

Not all Canadian inventions fly: Worthington​

While not exactly a Canadian innovation, Canada’s adoption in 1994 of the LSVW (Light Support Vehicle Wheeled) to replace the army’s 5/4 truck is one of those things DND would like to forget.

Canada was in line to buy 2,879 of these trucks from Western Star, based in Kelowna, B.C. The LSVW was an Italian-designed truck and relatively cheap. The vehicle went to the military’s Land Engineering Test Establishment (LETE) before Canada committed itself to the purchase.

LETE was one of the more valuable assets of DND, where imagination and innovation saved countless expenses. For example, LETE devised armoured floor plates for APCs that protected crews against land mines in the Balkans.

As for the LSVWs, they failed virtually all of LETE’s tests. For what it’s worth, I went to the LETE testing area in Orleans, near Ottawa, and attended some of the testing. The vehicle was top heavy, under-powered (115 horsepower), capable of only 40 km/h, its braking system was unreliable, access to the engine was difficult, but most of all it would not start in sub-zero weather. In other words, it verged on being a lemon.

Non-experts like myself wondered why Canada would buy an Italian-designed truck, when next door in the U.S., General Motors was producing the most effective and inexpensive army trucks in the world? The answer, of course, was to give the contract to a Kelowna firm, perhaps because the Conservative government wanted votes in B.C.

On the heels of LETE’s devastating critique and rejection of the LSVW as an adequate truck for the Canadian army, in 1994 the Chretien government shut down LETE, killed it, and new testing for the LSVW was shifted to the Nevada Automotive Testing Centre (NATC) in the U.S. where the vehicle passed with flying colours and was incorporated into the Canadian army.

It didn’t last its 20-year life expectancy. It lasted three years — by 1997 a search began for the next generation of truck.

DND is notorious for acquiring equipment that disappoints — and one could mention the Iltis as a replacement for Jeeps.

FWIW LETE ran two tests where it failed, the first was the original requirement, the second a road only test (no off-road testing). The third test at NATC had even more watered down requirements, the Project Officer said basically that when NATC tested it, that then was it only allowed to report on passed items and any failures where stricken from the requirements…

FWIW LETE ran two tests where it failed, the first was the original requirement, the second a road only test (no off-road testing). The third test at NATC had even more watered down requirements, the Project Officer said basically that when NATC tested it, that then was it only allowed to report on passed items and any failures where stricken from the requirements…

So we have a workable model for managing the TAPV A1 project. After years of service remove anything the TAPV can't do from the Statement of Requirement and focus on what it can do.

At very least it is an armoured box on wheels with a power train that can be driven on roads. Maybe start from there and make it safe for highway driving first. Then figure out how far off-highway it can be driven. My personal candidate for a challenge is being able to keep up with the local traffiic on a praire grid line after it has been freshly graded in the summer. It is like driving on ball bearings in a dust storm at 80 km/h. The local traffic comprises farmers and farmer's wives driving Pick Ups and SUVs.

So we have a workable model for managing the TAPV A1 project. After years of service remove anything the TAPV can't do from the Statement of Requirement and focus on what it can do.

At very least it is an armoured box on wheels with a power train that can be driven on roads. Maybe start from there and make it safe for highway driving first. Then figure out how far off-highway it can be driven. My personal candidate for a challenge is being able to keep up with the local traffiic on a praire grid line after it has been freshly graded in the summer. It is like driving on ball bearings in a dust storm at 80 km/h. The local traffic comprises farmers and farmer's wives driving Pick Ups and SUVs.

Really?

Everything rolls if the situation is right. Go off a wet road into a soft, sloped ditch and you're a high candidate for rolling. Have we ever talked about the M152's independent suspension and it's penchant for rolling. That's when we fist started adding roll cages.

@Kirkhill is right. It's an existing power train with armour. And we've got 500 of them. If we can't find a use for that thing, then we're not trying.

🍻

Everything rolls if the situation is right. Go off a wet road into a soft, sloped ditch and you're a high candidate for rolling. Have we ever talked about the M152's independent suspension and it's penchant for rolling. That's when we fist started adding roll cages.

@Kirkhill is right. It's an existing power train with armour. And we've got 500 of them. If we can't find a use for that thing, then we're not trying.

🍻

They'd make great anchors ;)

puns anchor GIF by League of Legends

puns anchor GIF by League of Legends

Item the first

A vehicle that rolls is being driven in a manner that exceeds the safe handling characteristics of the vehicle - perhaps that means that the TAPV as currently configured has to be limited to a road speed of 30 km/h.

Item the second

Train the drivers to drive the vehicles they have not the vehicles they think they have.

Item the third

If the vehicle is not roadworthy take it back to the shop and make it roadworthy.

Finally

Then see how far you can push the vehicle's limits without killing yourself.

We know the vehicle struggles to conform to the original plan. We should now figure out what it is capable of.

Take the spare and the crane off for know, put them in a trailer pulled by a MVSV.
You guys know this vehicle a lot better than me, but that sloped bow plate doesn't seem to serve any purpose such as an access hatch. Shouldn't be too hard to make an accessible swing down mount on it. Might even help add some weight to the front to aid steering. Course that interferes with the front approach angle but how much does it get used?

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back