• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry.....what Do You like About it? And what is your weapon of choice?

• Thread starter newfoundlander
  • Start date
As I've said before, the C1 is great, fired it at 600m on a fig 11 on Iron Sights.  C7 Corrects a lot of irritants.  So go C7!

Doug said:
Have you ever tried to change a barrel on the MG-3, it‘s pretty crazy.  The quick change on the C6 is much better, faster, and safer!

MG 3 Quick barrel change is faster than C6 and C9 and it is idiot proof, there is no way that you can get it wrong the barrel goes upside down or right side up, you dont have to stand up over the weapon you can do it from the prone simply push forward barrel pops out, put in new barrel and close...the other neet thing about the MG 3 is rather than 4 ball 1 tracer, the German ammo goes 1 tracer 1 smoke 3 ball and the smoke is pink, makes for a pretty battle field , really though, it makes it easier for target identification.As well the rate of fire of the MG3 is outstanding since being reduce from MG 42 thay had to lower the rate of fir several times. I also like the reusable link with crank loader.

The new german service rifle G36 fired on a range in Afgahnistan 2003 had  stoppages after after first 2 mags, the sighting is difficult and to steal the expression from one of our co-bloggers is a sex appeal weapon not made for field firing. We found the C7 family more reliable and the C79 sight picture was easier to pickup the only complaint which has been rectified was long gun in vehicle use.

?  Uhm you can change the C6 or C9 from the prone a hell of a lot easier than the MG3.  The two MG3's I shot where standard NATO disinterating link and the ROF was the same (1200 rpm cyclic) as the Mg42.  I shot a Mg42 long ago (1990-ish) at Connaught against a sandbag wall that it shredded...

Infidel-6 said:
G36 is have a lot of hard times in units that fire them a lot (.mil side)  it was a cost saving venture with German unification to adopt it.

I find no use for a SMG -- unless it is a MP-5SD as the subsonic 9mm has some decent applications.

For a GP carbine 16" barrel (midlength gas) w/ variable power cbt optic (S&B Short Dot in my case)
Iraq-Range26May039.jpg

for a pistol Glock19 w/ X200 SF light -- or a good .45 1911 w/ X200 light  ;).

Sexy damn rifle Inf6, loving the S&B.

Infidel-6 said:
?  Uhm you can change the C6 or C9 from the prone a hell of a lot easier than the MG3.  The two MG3's I shot where standard NATO disinterating link and the ROF was the same (1200 rpm cyclic) as the Mg42.  I shot a Mg42 long ago (1990-ish) at Connaught against a sandbag wall that it shredded...
That maybe your opinion however to remove the barrel from C6/9 "i find" that i have to climb the weapon, pull the barrel away from the receiver where The MG3 was simply push forward and the barrel came out....my opinion. I am not taking anything away from our robust weapons. As for disintergating belt if the weapon was fired on a canadian range ammo was "more than likely"??? (wasnt there) canadian NATO std, The Germans have a non disintergating belt which can be reloaded after each application. I am looking through my lesson plans from my German weapons(some BW base in Neu Ulm) course in 1988 to see if I can find the Cyclic rate change from MG 42 to MG3 Internet does not concur with me, go figure, However it was one of those things that stuck in my mind. Out of the older german weapons MG3, G3, P1 and UZI, the only one I liked was the MG 3 the rest didnt really impress me.

One point to note is that up until 2003 the germans still use Very Pistols for illum... they had flare rounds for their HK style Grenade launcher but no para flares like ours.

i luv it because there no other job like it on earth and its the only job I'm good at doing. My weapon would have to be C8A3, or C9A2 :fifty:

:cheers: mate

i know that it is not "light" infantry but i really liked the 25mm on the LAV

Infantry eh
kicks ass
Its challenging and theres always something to do. Go in the middle of all the action. Weapon of choice= C9 LMG :warstory:

kahlua55 said:
Infantry eh
kicks ass
..... Go in the middle of all the action. Weapon of choice= C9 LMG :warstory:

To the young bulls on here, as much as your enthusiasm and patriotism is greatly appreciated, just be careful what ya wish for BOYS, its not a game over there, and with some of these posts it apparently seems to be.

Remember one thing, there is no glory in death, dying or killing.

The 'romantic' side of things dies in the arse PDQ once you are 'over there'

You will be forever changed by your experiences, and hopefully not for the worse. I see things different now, and realise we all have a job to do to win more than ever now!

Its a different story with the adrenaline, and the rds snapping over your heads, the heat, thrist, confusion, noise and, well the rest of it. No Rambos, no hereos, just hopefuuly survivng another day, which gets you one day closer to going home. It aint no war movie!

Stick together, and be there for one another. Be professional, and stay focused, do Canada and your Regiments proud!

As much as you seem keen to go over, I suggest to take a serious reality check on the horrors of what its really like. Its not a holiday, nor a computer game, and should not be taken lightly.

You'll know exactly what I mean when you experience  'episode 1' of a contact.

Read and heed, and good luck wherever your trails take ya's!

Wes

Stewpid said:
MG 3 Quick barrel change is faster than C6 and C9 and it is idiot proof, there is no way that you can get it wrong the barrel goes upside down or right side up, you dont have to stand up over the weapon you can do it from the prone simply push forward barrel pops out, put in new barrel and close...the other neet thing about the MG 3 is rather than 4 ball 1 tracer, the German ammo goes 1 tracer 1 smoke 3 ball and the smoke is pink, makes for a pretty battle field , really though, it makes it easier for target identification.As well the rate of fire of the MG3 is outstanding since being reduce from MG 42 thay had to lower the rate of fir several times. I also like the reusable link with crank loader.

Maybe you should pull the trigger without the barrel in the gun... Then it gets quite interesting...

Also, the normal ROF for the MG-3 is 1200rpm, but some countries have adopted heavier bolts, slowing the ROF-750-800rpm.

Also, the reusable link sucks when you have to move around, both because it is difficult to carry a belt-box in the gun, and because if you have fired a bit, you may have 49 rounds worth of empty belt dangling from the gun, getting caught in whatever it can...

But, my preferred GPMG is almost without doubt the PKM... Its very light, and supposed to be very reliable, accurate and pleasant too shoot, and don´t eat ammo as fast as the MG-3. But, unlike the MG-3, I have only played a little bit with the PKM, without firing it...

I understand what you mean, but I really liked the weight, handling characteristics and build-quality compared to the MG-3... Also, I have a former squadmate who fired several thousand rounds with it in Lebanon (before I met him several years ago), and said it was extremely pleasant to shoot compared to the MG-3... Of course, that should not be too difficult due to the much lower ROF, as the MG-3 kicks quite hard, and not least the longer and slower bolt-travel. Also, I have never heard very many complaints about its reliability...

I KNOW the MG-3 very well, and while I really enjoy shooting it, I hate to carry it, especially in the LMG-role... And barrel-changes is a ***** too... Because you either need to use an asbestos glove or a tool, or nomex-gloves (thats actually an expensive hobby, as they dont last long)

BTW: I am a veteran, SFOR V and KFOR II, and some other military service, both inf and cav (mech inf for you)...

dobrodan said:
1. I have a former squadmate who fired several thousand rounds with it in Lebanon

2. BTW: I am a veteran, SFOR V and KFOR II, and some other military service, both inf and cav (mech inf for you)...

1. Good grief, need I ask who/what he was doing overthere??? That shytehole is full of bloodthirsty murderers, who then leave it and come to our countries with blood on their hands, and then brag about (I have heard it 1st hand here) their deeds. That sickens me to no end.

2. Why don't you enlighten us by filling in your profile. Its empty.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
1. Good grief, need I ask who/what he was doing overthere??? That shytehole is full of bloodthirsty murderers, who then leave it and come to our countries with blood on their hands, and then brag about (I have heard it 1st hand here) their deeds. That sickens me to no end.

2. Why don't you enlighten us by filling in your profile. Its empty.

Cheers,

Wes

1: He was in UNIFIL, Norbatt, as a gunsmith and an APC-driver (SISU), (in 2 different contingents, if I´m not mistaken)...

2: Fixed!

And why I´m in here? Well, my grandmother was born In Alberta, Canada, and that should make me about 1/8 Canadian I believe...

dobrodan said:
Of course, that should not be too difficult due to the much lower ROF, as the MG-3 kicks quite hard, and not least the longer and slower bolt-travel. Also, I have never heard very many complaints about its reliability...

Having fired an original German MG-42 in 7.92mm when I lived in Canada, and the MG3 in 7.62mm (fired a 3000 rd continious burst at DNSDC SABRTF) in Australia, There was about the same recoil as in a MAG58, and I did not take notice to it.

As for being reliable, the original gun was loved and respected by its operators in WW2, feared and hated by all on the recieving end.

Did Norway not use this weapon??

Today its still used all over, including Pakistan, and still manufactured in 7.92mm in the FRY, called the Sarac 53. I think the gun's reputation speaks for itself.

For the record, I have fired the PKM,(also taught and instructed on it during operations) and frequented it often in Iraq, used by western contractors.

Thanks for filling out your profile.

Regards,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Having fired an original German MG-42 in 7.92mm when I lived in Canada, and the MG3 in 7.62mm (fired a 3000 rd continious burst at DNSDC SABRTF) in Australia, There was about the same recoil as in a MAG58, and I did not take notice to it.

As for being reliable, the original gun was loved and respected by its operators in WW2, feared and hated by all on the recieving end.

Today its still used all over, including Pakistan, and still manufactured in 7.92mm in the FRY, called the Sarac 53. I think the gun's reputation speaks for itself.

For the record, I have fired the PKM,(also taught and instructed on it during operations) and frequented it often in Iraq, used by western contractors.

Thanks for filling out your profile.

Regards,

Wes

Well, I have never fired the MG-42, but have about 200K rounds through the MG-3... Never fired the MAG though, but, yes, I can believe the experience firing it is close to the MG-3, as both weight and ROF is quite close... The recoil in the MG3 is quite bearable, but what bothers me is when the bolt strikes the buffer, because it kicks quite hard then... But it is still very ok to fire, especially with a flak-jacket or body-armor. Also I have usually carried it in the SAW-role, which it is clearly too heavy for... But, when you can have it stationary, with lots of ammo, It is really good... We call it the "Hitler-saw", because of the ROF...

And, yes, Norway still use it! Even though some jackasses apparently plan to totally replace it with 5.56 MGs (get rid of 7.62 altogether)... I understand why they want to get a new LMG, but then we wont have a efficient MMG, and the M2 is to heavy to lug around in the terrain...

Oh... And I forgot: A 3000rd continous burst? I´m very interested in what happened to the barrel then, as it should normally not survive a 1000rd burst (not that I have tried), but firing a couple of thousand rounds through two barrels, while changing the barrels every 200rds made both barrels glow red hot...

Although I feel like a black hatter in the turret my favorite infantry weapon is definatly the Bushmaster 25 mil chaingun. Max destruction baby. If im in the back C7/M203.

Here is a pic of one I was recently doing a TI on....

M242 "Chained Heat"!

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Here is a pic of one I was recently doing a TI on.... M242 "Chained Heat"! 

Being on the wrong end of that is definately a bad day...

Meh, strangely the thing about the Infantry I miss the most were the long drives between work areas.  Didnt matter if it was between bases, enroute to deployments, or out in the field, you got to see a lot of country and people enroute.

For weapons...hmmm...so many to choose from... I would have to say the old GPMG.  There's definately something hypnotic about tracers and rapid fire.

I like getting all cammed up, patrolling, rolling around in the mud. I like the C-7 but i really like the C-9 :threat: :warstory:

Back